Thread: softmodded xbox and component cables?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default softmodded xbox and component cables?

I was at a used game store today and noticed they had the official xbox S-Video adapter for $6 Cdn - I snapped it up and was excited about it

I asked the guy whether they had the component version - he said that he did not, but he said he had an RCA V-port cable that connect to component devices and it should do the trick. It was a good price so I got that too. On the way out he warned me that softmodded xbox's won't use component cables. I decided I'd try it anyway.

I got it home, plugged the v-port end of the cable into the xbox AV out and the component cables into my TV, and the xbox wouldn't turn on - the LED was flashing orange and green. Here is a link to the cables I bought (the bottom ones) (LINK) Now, usually these cables are set up so you plug a device with component out into a TV with a v-port in. But the v-port plugs perfectly into the xbox AV out. But they don't say xbox anywhere

So what's the deal? Is it that (1) The clerk's right and softmodded xboxes don't like component video, or (2) Those are the wrong cables. BTW, I hooked up my xbox using S-Video now - it looks a little sharper than composite, so it's not a total loss, but I would like to get component running. Was using the RCA V-port-component cable a bad move?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

From what I understand:

The V-Port cables had to be ordered through RCA's website and weren't really available anywhere else, plus they were supposed to only work on an Xbox hooked up to an RCA television. I don't see anything on those cables pictured that would indicate that they aren't standard component cables, so I'm not exactly sure what your problem is.

Now a question of my own (reiterating one of yours):

Is there truth to component cables not working on a soft-modded Xbox? Reason being mine was supposed to finally get soft-modded tonight and hopefully will for sure by the end of the week and I'd really like to know (not that it's likely to change my decision). Anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Is there truth to component cables not working on a soft-modded Xbox?
    None at all! I believe you may have to drop back to your MS Dash to enable support for 480p/1080i/720p but beyond that everything works peachy keen for me.

...other than a couple of Sega games that don't work in progressive mode on my Xbox since it's a v1.6. :'(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    Is there truth to component cables not working on a soft-modded Xbox?
    None at all! I believe you may have to drop back to your MS Dash to enable support for 480p/1080i/720p but beyond that everything works peachy keen for me.

...other than a couple of Sega games that don't work in progressive mode on my Xbox since it's a v1.6. :'(
    Thanks for the info! I've had component problems with the Xbox before (lightning hit my older xbox, which still worked, but only with composite, no s-vid/component!) and my current cables are pretty shitty (Monster Cable is supremely overrated) and lose color all the time. I doubt it'll make a difference with emulators, but I'm glad I'll be able to use my component cables for regular Xbox games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info! I've had component problems with the Xbox before (lightning hit my older xbox, which still worked, but only with composite, no s-vid/component!) and my current cables are pretty shitty (Monster Cable is supremely overrated) and lose color all the time. I doubt it'll make a difference with emulators, but I'm glad I'll be able to use my component cables for regular Xbox games.
    I was really miffed when I fired up Panzer Dragoon Orta and got a bunch of scrambled graphics. I figured it was because of my softmod or some such, so I reverted back to normal and the same problem happened. Did a little research online and it looks like I need to find an older Xbox and throw a newer dvd rom in it

Monster cables aren't bad, they're just too fucking expensive for what you get. I got mine second hand for a reasonable price but it turns out the red line on 'em was bad. Ended up calling Monster Cable and they replaced it with zero hassle (I had to mail the cable to them to exchange it, but the postage was pretty darn cheap), so you may want to look into it. I guess they can afford to have pretty good customer service considering how much money they make off of people that don't know any better

Component looks a hell of a lot nicer for the emulators and such. Sure, you don't get the "true" image (gotta break out the composites for that), but for emulators that support progressive scan and various filters, it's heaven

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Thanks again for the info! I was kinda disappointed that I didn't get to softmod on Saturday since a friend and I have been craving some of the arcade beat-em-ups that we haven't seen or played in years (Simpsons, X-Men, Turtles, Avengers, etc.), and on a decent gamepad too.