Thread: Ever gone through a gaming revival?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ever gone through a gaming revival?

Well?

Like a lot of the people on this site i sterted playing games as youngan back in the 80's. I started out with a Sega Master system from then it was Amiga, Game Gear, SNES (my fave), Game Boy, N64, PS2 and currently im on the DS and loving it. During this time i also had 3 or 4 PC's and played whatever was big at the time providing i had the rig willing to run the games.

It wasn't always games games games though, some where between the SNES and DS i just sort of dropped out of gaming. I had a period of about 5 years where i just couldnt get into it even though i had good systems and games at the time like the N64 and later PS2. It's almost as if the DS with it's fresh original games and also the fact that alot of what it has to offer is in 2D has really re kindled what it was that i loved about the SNES. I still dont play games as much as i used to as a kid - My Business/ family commitments have seen to that but it's great to at least be able to enjoy and unwind with games once again. i've even broken out my old SNES and played it for extended periods... havent done that for 10 years.

Ever gone through a "revival"? What did it for you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, well I remember not paying much attention to games during the first 3 years of the 32-64 bit era. I was content playing my SNES and Genesis stuff now and then and didn't really care much about the new Saturn, Playstation and N64 stuff. It wasn't until I went to my cousin's place, played Goldeneye for four hours straight, then picked up the November '98 issue of EGM and saw Zelda: OoT and Metal Gear Solid for the first time that I dove head first back into games.

I've went through a similar gaming apathy over the past couple of years, with not much really grabbing my attention, but playing some DS stuff and seeing the Wii has got me back into games again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Been playing games since 1978.

I skipped the whole Playstation/Saturn/N64 period (around 93-98). I just didn't like anything that was coming out between that time. Hardware or software.

StarCraft and The launch of the Dreamcast got me back into the game. Pun definitely intended...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I skipped the 16bit era (SNES/Mega Drive). I wanted a SNES really bad, but i didnt get one from my parents hehe. Hardly any of my friends had it either. We got our first PC in 1994 so i played on that instead. So i went straight from NES to PSX console wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For about 9 months back in 2000 I kinda went off gaming. I got my first car, which I started focusing on more and the N64 was kinda losing any interest for me.

I considered getting a PlayStation, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Dreamcast was around, and although interested in it, I didn't have the money to buy one.

I bought only a couple budget games (Star Wars: Episode I Racer and Penny Racers).

It wasn't until September when I got Perfect Dark that things started to pick up, and then a trip to America reignited my gaming love affair. It's been growing stronger ever since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I grew up playing the family NES and SNES, and then got my N64 and enjoyed playing all of them. But somewhere between N64 and GCN, I just quit playing video games all together.
    Then one day I was cleaning out my room (moving into my sister's old, bigger room) and found my old NES and SNES. So I instantly set them up and started playing all my childhood favorites. When I set up my new room, I made sure I left a corner for my game setup. Now my once meager collection of less than 30 games for all systems has grown into more than 250 and more than a dozen systems in just 2 years.

I don't think I could ever quit collecting and playing ever again.