Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are Saturn games so expensive?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why are Saturn games so expensive?

Why are Saturn games so expensive?

Is it because few were made?

Or because everyone wants them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's because they're awesome.

They're sought after and plenty of them are hard to find as well :P
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Well, like most older systems, only certian games are expensive. RPGs, Stragety/RPG, arcade, ect.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing I do have to say about sought after and rare games - they're rare for a reason. If it's hard to find, it's usually because it's a good game that's worth playing. Seriously, can any of you think of a rare game that ISN"T something you'd wanna play? The only game that comes to mind is the old DBZ game that everybody was after years ago on the PSone.

Conversely, bad games like Odama and Beat Down drop in price faster than you can imagine.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Expensive as compared to what? 80% of the games in the library can be had for $20 or less. What is the most expensive Saturn game? I know PDS and RS go for 100-200. Compare those numbers to most other systems and it's actually a relatively cheap system to collect for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up a saturn and I noticed the same thing...

Anyone have a copy a Panzer Dragoon Saga they want to sell for cheap? :P

But Beefy is correct...people hold onto the good games..it's usually the crappy ones you see in big lots on eBay and the likes.

The one that blows my mind is Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3....I know it isn't rare, but it's a great game, and a lot of people seem to be after it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

saturn games aren't that expensive, just a select few. It all comes down to simple economics. Supply and demand. Theres many gamers out there who love saturn games but not enough were made and sold so now you have to pay a premium to get it. I remember the playstation dbz game was always selling for over $200. Was it because it was a good game. NO! Just was limited run and more poeple wanted it for their collection or just to try. Look at Ebay and you'll see many games for sega saturn aren't that expensive. So go ahead and start collecting and playing for it.

PS Since you'll be buying sega saturn games, now you will be responsible for driving up the price of games for the rest of us

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by All Things Sega
    saturn games aren't that expensive, just a select few. It all comes down to simple economics. Supply and demand. Theres many gamers out there who love saturn games but not enough were made and sold so now you have to pay a premium to get it. I remember the playstation dbz game was always selling for over $200. Was it because it was a good game. NO! Just was limited run and more poeple wanted it for their collection or just to try. Look at Ebay and you'll see many games for sega saturn aren't that expensive. So go ahead and start collecting and playing for it.

PS Since you'll be buying sega saturn games, now you will be responsible for driving up the price of games for the rest of us
    I was just throwing that idea around in my head today!

Once I pick up the majority of my Saturn collection, I am going to start going around and hyping all the games I have to other potential saturn collectors....BOOM, instant value increase!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Oh, Daytona USA: CCE Netlink Edition. How I want you so bad...
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

US Saturn games aren't so bad. There's only a couple that are even remotely pricey. Nobody wanted some of the currently pricey games at the end of the lifespan of the system, so not many were made. At the time, PDS could be picked up for a song, my buddy got 3 copies at TRU for $20 a pop (still has them, too).

Imports, that's another story. It's just demand. There's a whole lot of games that can be gotten for $1-$2, a raft of them in the $30-$60 range, and several higher than $100.

I really don't think collecting domestic Saturn stuff is that bad compared to other systems. The library isn't that big, even.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits
    If it's hard to find, it's usually because it's a good game that's worth playing. Seriously, can any of you think of a rare game that ISN"T something you'd wanna play?
    I'd say there are more shitty rare games than good ones. Seems a lot of the uber rares (Delisoba Deluxe, Heim Waltz) either aren't games, or are really short/bad ones. You're write about they're rare for a reason -- not many made, b/c they suck. At least is the case often.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn is pretty cheap to collect for IMO. Especially compared to Turbografx and Neo Geo. But actually, I'd even say SNES can be more expensive than Saturn.

There are only 20 US Saturn games that can't be had for $20 or less, complete. That's out of a library of around 250. That's really not too bad, especially since many of the cheap ones are the best ones.

Even including imports it's not that terrible. The only expensive Japanese imports are shooters (but not all of them), fighters (but not all of them), Capcom Generations releases, Dracula X, and a couple platformers. There is a small number of European imports that can be pricey.

Also, the most expensive Saturn game is Radiant Silvergun, which is actually not that rare if you're willing to shell out the cash for it, and you can get it for $175 easily. That's nothing compared to Air Raid for 2600, or Bubble Bath Babes on NES.

The only bad thing is that the expensive games are almost all great games. There's no Saturn equivalent of Surprise at Dinosaur Peak -- if it's pricey, it's probably because it's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is that they're nigh impossible to find in the wild. Rarely you might see some generic sports game but you have to frequent the internet or a specialty shop to find even commons.

And lately, Dreamcast (which really only sold as well as Saturn) has been undergoing the same drying up.
    Alert the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The problem with the saturn is its later games are great and they rare in the U.S.. Games from 97-98 in the U.s are the rare ones for the most part.
    The Saturn does has good sized amount of games in the states compared to the sms and I think it is around the n64 amount or higher. It is the genre, and people keeping the games besides the time of some Saturn releases.

Another thing to keep in mind, saturn games have been harder to find since gamestop took over Funcoland in some parts of the U.S. along with stores outside of the internet got a rid of the best saturns around 2001-2002 and the sms for that matter in some parts. In the flee market I live, there are still are good amount of nintendo games but for saturn there isn't.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz
    Another thing to keep in mind, saturn games have been harder to find since gamestop took over Funcoland in some parts of the U.S. along with stores outside of the internet got a rid of the best saturns around 2001-2002 and the sms for that matter in some parts.
    But since then they've dropped everything except the current consoles.
    Alert the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Also, the most expensive Saturn game is Radiant Silvergun, which is actually not that rare if you're willing to shell out the cash for it, and you can get it for $175 easily. That's nothing compared to Air Raid for 2600, or Bubble Bath Babes on NES.
    Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru goes for a lot more than Radiant Silvergun. I'm sure there's a couple of other full games that go for more too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doom Gaze
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz
    Another thing to keep in mind, saturn games have been harder to find since gamestop took over Funcoland in some parts of the U.S. along with stores outside of the internet got a rid of the best saturns around 2001-2002 and the sms for that matter in some parts.
    But since then they've dropped everything except the current consoles.
    It is true with gamestop. I also was refering to places outside of funcoland that had retro stuff. There was places in my state don't anymore like gamestar. There are still places outside gamestop that still has snes,nes and n64 games, Genesis games but not saturn, and sms games anymore.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru goes for a lot more than Radiant Silvergun. I'm sure there's a couple of other full games that go for more too?
    again that's because it got very low print run and now it's highly sought after by collectors - game wise it's kinda ok but not great on my book

same thing can be applied to another titles released in Japan that is pretty ridiculous in price is Virtual Bart. JPN version goes for some silly price but PAL release is pretty cheap though some dodgy sellers were/are trying to sell PAL release for the same amount of money JPN release is sold for...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i too think saturn isnt expensive by any means. its definately hte most expensive Sega console to collect for, but nevertheless its pretty cheap compare to everything else (assuming youre always going for CIB). even the PSX is more pricey, a lot more, single games and the fact there are so many more worth getting.

interestingly enough i think saturn's closest equal out of the sega consoles in game-price is the sega CD. lol. id rather collect for that anyway (im almost done).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of all the systems we stock, Saturn runs in second place for the largest sales per month (after the NES.) I think the system has become so collectible because the it has a large number of games that were REALLY good!

Include in this a mod or cart to be able to expand your system to play non-US released games and you really open up the library to some solid game titles.

Too bad the Saturn didn't fair better during it's time. It's one of the systems my guys keep running in the shop constantly!
    Be sure to check in on J2Games.com!