Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro gaming stores in San Francisco?

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Retro gaming stores in San Francisco?

I'm gonna be in the SF area for two weeks starting next week, and while I'm there I wanna check out some of the retro gaming stores that I've heard about there. I'm not interested in the usual places like Game Crazy, I'm looking for stores that might have old factory sealed games, from the 16BIT era onward. I've heard there's quite a few stores like this in the SF area, so which ones should I not miss?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

head to oakridge mall in san jose, ca. They got a recently started kiosk called Gamers in Control. They sell current and retro games. Their actual store is in Morgan Hill, I'd like to say.... I drove there back in March or so to pick up some SNES games they sell for cheap (Knights of the Round for $6? 2020 Baseball $1? I'm there)

It's run by a youngster named Aaron. Believe it or not we actually took a college course together our freshman year. I saw him last March for the 1st time in Lord, 4 years. And it took us a while but we recognized each other and laughed about the old days.

If you see Aaron tell him Steve his old classmate sent ya. Just mention "Tuesdays with Morrie" the book and he'll know which class/Steve you're talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know there isn't a single independent game store in San Francisco proper. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I have yet to be able to find one. There is a place called Gamescape that is sometimes listed as one, but it's actually a "game store" that sells D&D and stuff like that.

All the way out in Antioch is a nice little store called 4Jays. Their selection fluctuates (and lately it's not been the greatest), but it's definitely worth the trek. They're the only place I've ever seen stocking Fairchild Channel-F games, lol. While their stock of Turbografx games is poor and Neo Geo is nonexistent, most other non-obscure systems are well-represented there. Even the 7800 section is surprisingly decent.

There is another one in San Jose, but I can't think of its name at the moment. Never been there, just found out about it recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    As far as I know there isn't a single independent game store in San Francisco proper. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but I have yet to be able to find one. There is a place called Gamescape that is sometimes listed as one, but it's actually a "game store" that sells D&D and stuff like that.

All the way out in Antioch is a nice little store called 4Jays. Their selection fluctuates (and lately it's not been the greatest), but it's definitely worth the trek. They're the only place I've ever seen stocking Fairchild Channel-F games, lol. While their stock of Turbografx games is poor and Neo Geo is nonexistent, most other non-obscure systems are well-represented there. Even the 7800 section is surprisingly decent.

There is another one in San Jose, but I can't think of its name at the moment. Never been there, just found out about it recently.
    4Jays has a lot of stuff which amazes me however everything is really expensive and the store is pretty much in the middle of nowhere (Antioch sucks).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

J_Factor introduced me to 4Jays. I make a monthly trek there since he told me about it in March. Got some good deals. Anyone remember that story about me picking up that SNES cartoon game that a female wanted and begged me to give to her? It was at 4Jays :P

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Antioch is so no where near San Fran. Well not near in the sense of being there in 20 minutes kinda thing.

Hell going to the brick and mortar store for Gamers in Morgan Hill isn't going to be a short jont either. There used to be an indy store in Burlingame, (just south of SF) but I'm not sure that they are still around, its been a few years since I went there for anything and I stopped going once the old store owner sold the place off.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I didn't make it all the way out to 4Jays, but I did find a shop in Chinatown that has GBA & PSP games. I don't remember the name of it, but it's on the left side of Grant street as you're walking down it from California, and it's one of the first shops you come to after you cross that intersection. I got a factory sealed Muppet Pinball Mayhem there for only $24, which is one of the hardest GBA games to find mint & complete, much less factory sealed. So you might want to check it out, if you collect for those systems.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a gameshop with a lot of retro stuff in Alameda. Sadly I do not remember the address, but it is on a main street. I'll try to dig out the address for you.
    There's another import shop in Berlingame, on Broadway. It is south SF. Get on the 101, exit on Berlingame/Broadway. Go west on Broadway, the shop is in front of the Starbuck coffee.
    I've had a hard time to find other video game shops that stores Retro stuff though...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alameda Game Exchange is what he is referring to. It's got a LOT of retro stuff, prices are hit and miss, though.

If anyone knows where the stores are, it's dojosky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, and I was in Alameda with one of the friends I was visiting in CA for a while too, we probably drove right past it, although by that time it was almost dark, as the sun had nearly completely setted after we had watched it setting together on the beach. So I couldn't see what all of the shops were as we drove past them. There are actually two main areas of shops, according to my friend there. Any idea which one of them the Alameda Game Exchange is in? I'm not sure my friend would know the store, but he might know where it is. So I'll be sure to look for it the next time I'm visiting there. I'm hoping to see alot more of Alameda. Now I have a perfect excuse to return for another visit.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here you go, I have found the address, it's 1617 Park Street in Alameda. Here's a link:

Alameda Video Game Exchange

If I remember well, all the retro stuff is at the back of the shop. However, if you buy any system there, ask to test it first. I was interested by a small Genesis but after looking a bit closer, I realised that the cartridge port was melted. Another friend tried to buy a Lynx there and the console couldn't power up... just to give you the heads' up

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Search brought me here. Gonna be there in a week and was wondering if this was still accurate? If not, where are some good places in San Francisco proper?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

There are none, unless you find some stores in Chinatown... and when you get into them you've gotta worry about bootlegs. In the greater Bay Area you are really hardpressed to find any indy shops. It really is quite disapointing.

There is/was a store in Burlingame (just south of SF by 10-15 minutes) called Network. They used to be really a great store, but my last experiences with them in 04-05 were pretty bad.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    There are none, unless you find some stores in Chinatown... and when you get into them you've gotta worry about bootlegs. In the greater Bay Area you are really hardpressed to find any indy shops. It really is quite disapointing.

There is/was a store in Burlingame (just south of SF by 10-15 minutes) called Network. They used to be really a great store, but my last experiences with them in 04-05 were pretty bad.
    Yeah I was thinking of really digging into Chinatown just to check it out since I am staying in Northbeach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See map in sig, problem solved...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alameda Video Game exchange sucks. They want $5 apiece for common Atari 2600 games and last time I was in there they had a Mario Brothers (2600) under glass for $40.

I think it's a husband/wife team who run the place. She is mean and condescending; he is actually fairly nice and has a better idea of sane pricing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Garage Sales and Fleas tend to be the main source of goods out here. Much love to 4Jays and all, but I could not possibly recommend someone spend a day of their vacation going out to Antioch. It is the barren armpit of the Bay Area. If it wasn't for 4Jays and an airsoft store, I wouldn't have a reason to ever go out there.

Don't be shy 4Jays. Come a little bit closer and join the rest of the Bay Area.
    -Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vacation is too short to leave the proper. I gonna really check out Chinatown because even a bootleg of something might be interesting to look at.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The shop in Burlingame (just south of SF near the airport) was Network Video, but they've been closed for about a year. I remember there being another import shop in the Sunset / Park Merced area off of 19th Ave but I haven't stopped by in years. Will try to find it and post here.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Store in the Sunset was called Games Etc. but the only number I could find for them is disconnected, so I'm guessing they're out of business. Super 7 and Kintetsu Mall (cool hobby shop in the downstairs area of the mall) have some Japanese toys, but I haven't seen games there in a while. If you're in for two weeks try hitting the Alemany Flea Market on Sundays (always some stuff there). Too bad you're not in town during the Bernal Heights neighborhood garage sale... I've always come away from that happy.