Thread: My SNES collection is complete! Long story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default My SNES collection is complete! Long story

Mind you, I still have "wants" but if I never get around to buying those remaining wants, I'd be perfectly fine. So in my mind, I am done, essentially. The remaining wants include titles like Raw, Royal Rumble and Home Improvement. Fringe titles, really, that I wouldn't mind picking up at $3 or $5.

The last 3 games I got were the toughest for me. Oscar (thanks to board member Cmosfm), Mr. DO! and the final game, which took me the longest to find (6 months), Harvest Moon.

Oh let me say that I do not own every US SNES title -- that was not a goal of mine -- my goal was to simply own every SNES game I ever wanted, whether it was a want in 1993 or a want in 2006 (most of them were wants forged in this particular calender year :P )

I haven't lined up the official count left, but it's either at 400 titles or slightly over. I started buying SNES games January 17, 2006. July 25, 2006, just 2 days shy of my Birthday and a little over six months later, I have managed to cross off every title off my want list, which in January oh man I recall creating a MONSTER of a list! Everyday I was crossing off several titles. In the beginning (Jan-April) it was very easy b/c an eBay search of simply "SNES" led me to countless auctions being watched and such. There were two separate occasions where I received as many as SEVEN (!) packages all in one day. On many other days 3, 4 were the norm.

My goal was to pay no more than $40.00 for any one SNES cartridge. Sans Harvest Moon I accomplished it. HM will set me back $56.00 but it does come with the manual so I am fine making this the one exception.

It's been a blast being back with the SNES scene these past 6 months. This, IMO, is truly the best system ever. This is coming from a FULL-FLEDGED Saturn diehard 2001-2005. One day, during my winter break of my 2nd to last college semester, I looked at the 330 Saturn games I owned. Let's see... I am in the mood for a 2D platformer... to my shock there weren't many. I guess I had been so pro-Saturn that I was literally shocked to see that the system wasn't as great as I once thought it was.

Sure you have Astal, Keio Yugekitai etc. but I realized, stepping back and looking at my collection, the hits were far and few inbetween. Heck, I just wanted more 2D platformers, I don't care if they're as mediocre as Saturn Gex... I just longed, suddenly, for 2D platformers.

Naturally this all led me to the SNES. Decided to pick one up and the rest as they say is history. My 1st game? Power Moves... a childhood favorite, and I admittedly have a guilty pleasure for that early Kaneko 2D fighter. (it was the 1st import game I ever rented/played, way back in late 92 or thereabouts)

Anyway, I don't want to get TOO long-winded. This system has so many gems, the Chrono Triggers the Mario Karts. It has lesser talked about hits like Blackthorne, Tournament Fighters, etc. And then it has TONS of solid (not great but certainly very playable and enjoyable titles) games like Rocky Rodent, B.O.B (which I am currently playing through -- really enjoying it), Boogerman, etc.

Sure there were duds (Battle Blaze, Captain America) but there are a handful of must have epics and 100s of quality titles; most of which can be picked up for as little as $3, $5. Man what a system.

I want to say a special thanks to DP member DDCecil for kindly sending me a free Brandish manual last week after I made a topic here on DP asking about how to consolidate the items, since the FAQs did not cover this. This kind fella DDCecil PM'ed me and told me how to consolidate items, but he also took the further step of offering to ship me the manual for free. FREE. I read through those 42 lovely pages like it was the Autobiography of Malcolm X :P

Anyway, I'll close here. From here on out my goal is to finish my GEN/NES libraries, and beat/play my SNES games. There's just too much good stuff and not enough time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I wanted was chrono trigger.

Hey guy's, I have a complete snes collection. lol. I'm just being hard on you, congrats on finishing your goal.
    *Insert famous Towlie quote here*

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats man, it was a nice read. Bad as it sounds I don't think I'll ever be pleased with my collections because if I get a game cartridge only then I will want it complete etc

And there's so many games that I haven't played that I might like.

I tried giving the Saturn a chance but it didn't do much for me, the fact that the best games are imports kinda takes the fun out of it.

I don't think you could go wrong with SNES there's something for everyone.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats Man. I am currently working on my SNES collection (though I must admit I have been distracted by NES accessories as of late.) Peace.
    "All life begins with Nu... All life ends with Nu. That is the Truth! That is my belief. At least for now..." - Journal entry of Belthasar, Guru of Reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Thats awesome, I'm doing the same thing with NES games. I don't want all the games only the ones that I wanted when I was younger or cool ones that I have heard about recently.

Congrats

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES is the only system I ever had any desire to seriously collect for. I started on my quest to have a complete US SNES collection about a year ago. I finished up earlier this month, though I guess it isn't truly complete, as I still haven't been able to find a copy of Mountain Bike Rally/Speed Racer - no one seems to have a copy for sale or trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by outsider
    The SNES is the only system I ever had any desire to seriously collect for. I started on my quest to have a complete US SNES collection about a year ago. I finished up earlier this month, though I guess it isn't truly complete, as I still haven't been able to find a copy of Mountain Bike Rally/Speed Racer - no one seems to have a copy for sale or trade.
    Theres two copies of MBR/SP on Ebay right now. All you have to do is by the bike that goes with them! Yeh right. The cart alone doesn't come up often.

Congrats Steven, you've got at least one up on me- Harvest Moon but I'm sure a lot more. I'm looking to pick-up a heavy hitter like HM this week but I'm not sure which one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone have the link for the ebay postings for the bike or the cart? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills today since I can't find it

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

It's good to see that you've fulfilled your goal. Congrats!
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by All Things Sega
    Anyone have the link for the ebay postings for the bike or the cart? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills today since I can't find it
    Wrong Bike for Exertainment

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's 2D platformers you have a hankering for, I think one should take a real serious look into the good old NES. You've been there, done that, I know; To me the SNES and other 16 bit+ consoles have their share of great stuff (Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, Mega Man X, etc.) but I feel that the NES has... I don't know, it's just something solid about it's platformers; Castlevania 1-3, Bionic Commando, Goonies II, Adventure Island, Little Samson... when I need platforming action the NES for some reason can satisfy me in a way that no other console can.

I mean, I'm sure you've got NES stuff and you've played all the good ones, but do you truly know the joy of the Nintendo Entertainment System?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ
    If it's 2D platformers you have a hankering for, I think one should take a real serious look into the good old NES. You've been there, done that, I know; To me the SNES and other 16 bit+ consoles have their share of great stuff (Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, Mega Man X, etc.) but I feel that the NES has... I don't know, it's just something solid about it's platformers; Castlevania 1-3, Bionic Commando, Goonies II, Adventure Island, Little Samson... when I need platforming action the NES for some reason can satisfy me in a way that no other console can.
    I bought an NES April of this year, slowly but surely I've built up a cart collection of over 130 at present count... I still have several wants but yeah I succumbed b/c this was THE system in the 80s and I loved it then. So far I haven't really played it, but I have gone through Castlevania and am currently making my rounds through Metroid. Yup, it is a great system and with this, Genesis and SNES all my 2D platforming urges are covered... I can't believe I lived without these systems for all these years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Steven, you are truly a monster. You accomplised your entire SNES dream goal in 6 months and for 400 games! Wow, just wow. Its going to take a long time to play through those lovelies, enjoy.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good for you!! I've always thought of the SNES as a solid system to collect for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Julio III
    Steven, you are truly a monster. You accomplised your entire SNES dream goal in 6 months and for 400 games! Wow, just wow. Its going to take a long time to play through those lovelies, enjoy.
    heh, thanks. To put it into perspective, 6 months let's say 180 days 400 games. That meant I bought 2.2 games a day! Much of it helped b/c I sold off 100+ Saturn games (my collection has gone from 330 to 195) and had like $450 in the paypal balance to spend (I love spending money that's "not out of your own wallet" so to speak)

I recall going an INSANE period like 60 straight days where I bought at least ONE game online. That was flipping crazy. What can I say, this is my last gaming hurrah so to speak, gotta go out with a blaze of glory. Yup, I very much look forward to eventually playing these games, most of which I missed back in the day (i.e. Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, etc.)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Congratulations. :) I actually very rarely add to my SNES collection, but I kind of like it that way. Unlike NES and PlayStation and such, I have very few crummy games on SNES, and I'm kind of proud of the quality to crap ratio I have going. My collecting of Super Famicom games is rather slow-going also, but I'm also very specific about what I buy there too. The SNES is my favorite system, so I suppose I like to take my time with it and really savor the games. :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ah which reminds me I need to update it haven't updated in a couple days. BTW I will have more reviews coming, I haven't written one since Dracula X -- it's been a while.