Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vic Ireland (Of Working Designs fame) is back (READ)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Vic Ireland (Of Working Designs fame) is back (READ)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154707.html

We'll see what he wants to do in the future, just read the article.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh wow. He's starting up a new japanophile company to bring over yet more second rate games at a pace of one game every 2 or 3 years with substandard voice acting, questionable translations, poorly thought out gameplay changes, and a shit load of extra crap packed into the box that drives the price up beyond any resonable level.

Joy.

I hope this company fails, too. That guy is a complete asshole and tool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    I hope this company fails, too. That guy is a complete asshole and tool.
    Uhm, how old are you junior? Back in the Sega CD days Working Designs was awesome. Their PSOne output was pretty great too. Granted their PS2 output was lacking, but that also had to do with US Sony hating 2D games (and also Working Designs lack of willingness to adapt). It doesn't help that companies like ATLUS and Nippon Ichi fill much of the same niche these days.

So I'm curious to see what he comes up with...but if he tries the same thing again I don't think it will work.

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Uhm, how old are you junior?
    It's cute that you think that I'm a kid just because I dislike the complete waste of space that is Vic Ireland. Real cute. It looks like you forgot the questionably translated Exile and the incredibly fucked up Exile 2 from the Duo days.

Hell, Exile 2 was so bad that even Vic admitted that he fucked up when he decided to mess with the difficulty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Fair enough and my appologies. I was just surprised by your level of vitrol for a company that in my mind had a good run of releasing quality games like Popful Mail, Lunar, Arc the Lad etc...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to go with Roushimsx here. I did not like Working Designs. They picked up some good titles, but all of their releases (that I've played) are so rank with their territorial urine, I can't enjoy them. All those stupid modern American culture jokes in fantasy RPGs, unforgivable. And their audio dubbing in games like Growlancer make me cringe, that's no way to enjoy a game.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Oh, and in Silpheed for PS2, there was lots of radio babbling during the game, commander talking to the squad, etc. I found it really annoying, was that in the Japanese version?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude I had the News Post Before You Did.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89957

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, now this thread will be locked and no one will answer my question about Silpheed.

Not that anyone would know...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well Mods, lock it up!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am going to leave this one open due to the number of responses in this thread already. No offense to anyone.

-GAC-
    #vbender

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not that I don't like working designs stuff, but man, Ireland ran WD into the ground. If the man can't port a PS2 game in less than 3 years, he's gonna be in trouble. Look how long Growlancer took.

Others will also point to his americanizing of the games as blasphamy(although I kinda like the quirkyness)

WD was a love or hate company, and if he tries the same thing with this, it's just gonna end badly.

3 years isn't terrible for development, but for translation/localization, you're gonna lose money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually look forward to seeing what he can do. It's not that I am a huge WD fan, but it's nice to have somebody bringing over titles that otherwise likely wouldn't be here (didn't see anybody else scrambling to bring Growlanser over). We can complain about many things with WD and their products, but they are products we otherwise wouldn't have in English at all.

My $.02.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have always been a fan of working design's high-gloss packaging. In general I am a fan of working designs, and I own many of their releases on the PS1 and PS2.

However, Vic Ireland's exentric nature is going to continue to cause problems for him. He often takes up the position that he knows best and everyone else are idiots. This is why games like Silhouette Mirage ended up getting ported with altered settings. He can't just localize games. He starts meddling with the gameplay itself.

This is a problem.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I thought that Working Designs had a lot of good saturn games (Iron Storm, Albert Odysee) PSX had the Lunar series along with an inovative game called Silhouette Mirage. I would actually really like to see some of these types of games make it out over here, aint nuthin' wrong with some new games from somebody with a different outlook on the games industry. Videogames in general are good, no need to be over critical

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Alright, heres how I see the situation:

Working designs did things differently, I like that. Sure they made a few mistakes, but I challenge anyone to name one company that hasnt messed up at least one of their games or characters. For me, WD was always up there with Atlus, Natsume and Enix as far as releasing games that chances are, were worth taking a look at.

So there you have it, the gaming buisness is getting crowded, but theres always room for someone who thinks different.

And thats all I have to say about that.
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666
    I thought that Working Designs had a lot of good saturn games (Iron Storm, Albert Odysee) PSX had the Lunar series along with an inovative game called Silhouette Mirage. I would actually really like to see some of these types of games make it out over here, aint nuthin' wrong with some new games from somebody with a different outlook on the games industry. Videogames in general are good, no need to be over critical
    Lets not forget Magic Knight Rayearth, the Last US Saturn game ever. Magic Knight was my second favorite RPG on the Saturn (Shining Force III #1, Panzer Dragoon Saga #3).

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon
    IThis is why games like Silhouette Mirage ended up getting ported with altered settings. He can't just localize games. He starts meddling with the gameplay itself.
    I've got the PSX release for this game but have never played the JPN version of the game.

What did he change in the game?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard he upped the difficulty on it.

Increased prices of stuff and upped how much power items use (I think).

Looks like a fun and wacky game but i agree that the US version wasn't very fun because of the screwing around.

Off topic: In your sig, who is the "Love" chic shooting the ska band in the heart with a gun?

And wtf was that one with Baloo and the squirting on the face stuff?

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666
    I think some people in this thread are unaware that Working Designs are not the developers of the games they put out. They are a localization team / publisher. They are simply bringing games from japan to america, that were developed by other companies.

There is a need to be critical. Vic Ireland and his team takes it upon themselves to not only localize the game, but also, "meddle" with it's gameplay. Silhouette Mirage(developed by TREASURE) is a great example. The saturn version of this game was fine. However, the North American PS1 release was all changed around. Vic Ireland thought it would be a good idea to start changing the difficulty level and messing with the in-game items. Bad idea.

I am a fan of Working Designs for the simple fact that they were a middle man. A company that brought games from Japan, to North America. This is similar to my appreciation for other companies like Agetec. However the news of Vic starting a new company, does not have me very excited. Unless he has had some sort of awakening, we can be sure there will be a trickle of import titles and plenty of "I am right and the rest of the Industry is nuts" ideology.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Anyone else remember when Zach Meston wrote that article for DP that Mr. Ireland issued a cease-and-desist over? (At least I think that's how it happened). It was a shame too, because I started to read it, had something else to do, figured "oh, I'll read it later" and by the time I got back around to it the shit had hit the fan and the article was gone. I'd still like to read it, but I doubt that'll happen.