Thread: Virtua Racing vs Virtua Racing Deluxe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Virtua Racing vs Virtua Racing Deluxe

What's the differnt's between the 2...I see the same thing, is it more polygons..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's got

Better graphics
    More cars
    More tracks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Racing on the Genesis/Mega Drive is a 16-bit downsized conversion that uses the Sega S.V.P. chip. It's the chip Sega designed to run 3D games on the Genesis. VR is the only game to use it. I suspect future releases were canned due to VR's extremely high price tag (it retailed for $199.95 here in Australia on release), as the S.V.P. chip was quite expensive to manufacture.

The game was released in direct response to Nintendo's Stunt Race FX. Whilst VR has the edge on speed, it boasts only one car, simplified physics, and three tracks - not to mention the Genesis's usual drab audio quality.

SRFX boasts over 20 tracks, 5 cars and a more complex physics engine. I much prefer Nintendo's title as far 3D 16-bit racers go.

Virtua Racing Deluxe is another story. Sega released this for the 32X and I'd have to say it's one of the reasons you'd want to own a 32X (lord knows there aren't many). Two more cars were added, another course, bettr controls, better frame rate and overall, a much closer rendition to it's arcade counterpart.

VR Deluxe is an extremely nice racing game.

Mega Drive/Genesis VR.

32X VR Deluxe. Note the higher polygon count and deeper colour palette. What you can't see is the superior frame rate and controls.

If you can only choose between one or the other, get Deluxe.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many people consider Stunt Race FX unplayable. The controls are slow and frame rate sluggish. Genny VR is much easier to deal with, even if it is a rather limited port.

Personally, I can deal with SRFX and even have a soft spot for it, but the game is mostly challenging because of its technical limitations...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Avenger
    Many people consider Stunt Race FX unplayable. The controls are slow and frame rate sluggish. Genny VR is much easier to deal with, even if it is a rather limited port.

Personally, I can deal with SRFX and even have a soft spot for it, but the game is mostly challenging because of its technical limitations...
    Yeah, I like it too even though I can't play it for very long because it does indeed drive me crazy. Get more than a few things on the screen and the framerate just nosedives... add in a crash and the slowdown is unspeakable.

Dirt Trax FX, on the other hand, is awesome (in a weird way... the soundtrack is dreadful, the character select screen is appalling, and winning the game is severely anticlimactic.) The game runs full screens and plays just so nice.

Can someone explain to me why the Saturn port of Virtua Racing is so despised? I like it a lot. Then again I don't remember too much about the arcade original. The Saturn port has a more cars than the 32x and quite a few more tracks but lots of people hate it. Why is that? I find it to be a perfectly respectable racer other than the fact that the game could have gotten a serious graphical update.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich

Yeah, I like it too even though I can't play it for very long because it does indeed drive me crazy. Get more than a few things on the screen and the framerate just nosedives... add in a crash and the slowdown is unspeakable.

Dirt Trax FX, on the other hand, is awesome (in a weird way... the soundtrack is dreadful, the character select screen is appalling, and winning the game is severely anticlimactic.) The game runs full screens and plays just so nice.

Can someone explain to me why the Saturn port of Virtua Racing is so despised? I like it a lot. Then again I don't remember too much about the arcade original. The Saturn port has a more cars than the 32x and quite a few more tracks but lots of people hate it. Why is that? I find it to be a perfectly respectable racer other than the fact that the game could have gotten a serious graphical update.

The 32X version is clearly better than the genny version but both still fun. As for the saturn version, its almost that "to much added to it" that it becomes a muddled mess. I guess people are more disappointed with saturn version because of what could have been, especially after you play it at the arcades.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have become a somehwat Stunt Race FX professional over the years.

I've completed it hundreds of times and no one can beat me at it. The controls never bother me and I find the game an absolute dream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, VR Deluxe is a great reason to get a 32X and I also hear its the best home port - although can't remember the verdict on the PS2 version. VR on the MegaDrive is great fun - sure it has its limitations in colour, pop-up and frame-rate and low poly count but it still plays amazing and plus it has that huge cart and its amazing to see it running on a MegaDrive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Racing on the Genesis is more like a technical accomplishment today. You have to play it and put things into perspective to appreciate what you are seeing.

The 32X version is better than the Genesis version, but this is a given, considering the 32X was more advanced and SHOULD look better.

I think it is worth it to own both games. I play the 32X version the most, but I boot up the genesis version from time to time just to take it for a spin.

The 32X version is my favorite home port of Virtua Racing.

The Saturn version gets ragged on because it has some polygonal anomolies, and sadly has some framerate drops. For a sega arcade fan this is unacceptable. On top of this Sega let an outside company port Virtua Racing to the saturn. So everyone knows if Sega-AM2 had ported this game, it would have turned out Arcade Perfect.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon
    The Saturn version gets ragged on because it has some polygonal anomolies, and sadly has some framerate drops. For a sega arcade fan this is unacceptable. On top of this Sega let an outside company port Virtua Racing to the saturn. So everyone knows if Sega-AM2 had ported this game, it would have turned out Arcade Perfect.
    Actually, the reason the Saturn version sucks is because the controls are incredibly unresponsive. The extra modes and tracks would be incredibly cool if it were more playable. The graphics are actually quite nice, especially considering how early it was released. It would have been sick if Sega themselves had done it.

The PS2 version is probably the best version now. People have stated that the control is off, but it feels pretty good to me, if a bit touchy. They could have at least done away with the pop-up though, Daytona USA DC style. Well worth the purchase with Sega Arcade Classics being a budget title. The Alien Syndrome remake is a great bonus and the only true stinker is Golden Axe.

The Genesis version of VR runs rings around Stunt Race FX due to MUCH better control and a more solid frame rate overall. For its time it was (and still is in context) absolutely stunning. The FX Chip might have been superior on paper (this could be contested as I have heard the SVP was basically a Hitachi SH1), but the slow CPU speed of the SNES killed what could have been the ultimate killer app. It is a very cool port that should not have been possible.

As for the 32X version, we all know that it is a reason to own the system. I have played it the most of all the ports and love it to death. What an excellent conversion. It is such a shame that hardly anyone, except those with deep pockets, experienced it when it was new (same issue applies to the $100 Genesis version). I didn't get it until a few years ago, but it was worth every cent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yea I forgot to mention that part about the controls as well on the saturn version.

Was Virtua Racing on the PS2 a faithful conversion? Was it a port of the Saturn version? or remake of the arcade version? I know the early sega ages games were all low budget remakes. (They are now doing better quality ports such as Panzer Dragoon, or straight conversions... thank god.)

I feel priveledged to get both the Genesis version and the 32X version when they were first released. I had to talk my brother to chip in with me to get the Genesis version.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    The FX Chip might have been superior on paper (this could be contested as I have heard the SVP was basically a Hitachi SH1), but the slow CPU speed of the SNES killed what could have been the ultimate killer app. It is a very cool port that should not have been possible.
    This is a common misconception. The SVP is actually a Samsung SSP1601 DSP Core. It was much more powerful than the FX chip and actually had more in common with the Sega CD architecture than the 32X.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The arcade version rocks! I always loved this type of gfx, if its done well.
    Btw, i found this pic at KLOV, is this a real arcade machine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    The FX Chip might have been superior on paper (this could be contested as I have heard the SVP was basically a Hitachi SH1), but the slow CPU speed of the SNES killed what could have been the ultimate killer app. It is a very cool port that should not have been possible.
    This is a common misconception. The SVP is actually a Samsung SSP1601 DSP Core. It was much more powerful than the FX chip and actually had more in common with the Sega CD architecture than the 32X.
    I definitely stand corrected! Thank you for the info! I knew it had to be more powerful than the FX Chip the moment I saw it in action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon
    Was Virtua Racing on the PS2 a faithful conversion? Was it a port of the Saturn version? or remake of the arcade version? I know the early sega ages games were all low budget remakes. (They are now doing better quality ports such as Panzer Dragoon, or straight conversions... thank god.)
    More or less a straight port with some extras. It was meant to be "arcade perfect." It is definitely better than the conversion of VF2! (Which really isn't so bad, though sadly very low res) If you had the Genesis & 32X versions at release time, you HAVE to get Sega Arcade Classics for the conversion of VF.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    The arcade version rocks! I always loved this type of gfx, if its done well.
    Btw, i found this pic at KLOV, is this a real arcade machine?
    Yes. There's one of these in a GameWorks just a few minutes from my place.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, that shit is huuuge. Cool to play so many against eachother

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks about the same size as the 8-player Daytona USA setup.

One of the things I hope to own before I die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

If I recall, Time Warner absolutely BUTCHERED the Saturn version of VR. They basically took the graphical style of the arcade game and one of the courses, and hashed together new cars (including a go kart! WTF?), piss poor unresponsive and inaccurate controls, and a frame rate even a Vectrex would be ashamed of.

I vote that VR on Saturn be stricken from the record. It's not a Sega game, therefore doesnt count.

As for the PS2 version, control is WAY off, and experiences a few clipping issues not in the arcade machine, but aside from that, graphically it's the closest version.

32X elaborated on the Arcade game, added stock car and prototype car, had a total of 5 courses instead of 3, a rock solid frame rate, but control is still a little way off what you'd expect from the arcade version.

The Genesis / Megadrive version, while miles away graphically, has a steady frame rate (if not perfect), and handles almost identically to the arcade version. I would guess the difference in handling would be because I dont have a steering wheel for my Genny. This is the closest VR in my opinion to the pureness of the arcade original. Same amount of courses, same cars, same handling. In my opinion, even though the weakest version graphically, it is the strongest conversion.