Thread: PSP 2.80 firmware out (and already cracked)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSP 2.80 firmware out (and already cracked)

Wow. Not even 24 hours since it was released and the new PSP 2.80 firmware has already been cracked. Guess that's what happens when you use the same encryption keys from the 2.70 firmware:

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2006/07/27/...pted/#comments

I guess a new version of Devhook (0.46) has already been released to run this on 1.50. Can't seem to find a full package with the new firmware to download yet though but they should be popping up any moment.

The main new feature of the 2.80 is the viewing RSS video feeds. I hear that you can now finally drop videos into the 'Video' folder on the PSP instead of having to create a special one on the root and name the files a certain way. Web browser sounds like it's been optimized too.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

What do you mean when you say that it has been "cracked"? There is some way that I can play homebrew? I have a 2.71 PSP, which I am upgrading to 2.80 right now.

What do I need to do to once again enjoy the fine NES emulator?

Thanks

Chris

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    What do you mean when you say that it has been "cracked"? There is some way that I can play homebrew? I have a 2.71 PSP, which I am upgrading to 2.80 right now.

What do I need to do to once again enjoy the fine NES emulator?

Thanks

Chris

Unfortunately, I think you are SOL. You can't downgrade from that, at least not right now. I'm not sure what the highest firmware is that is still downgradable. I know that 2.0 was for awhile. He's talking about running the new Devhook on 1.5 firmware, it tricks the PSP into running the new firmware, without changing it from a 1.5 version.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Well I ended up cancelling the download before it updated my PSP. With my luck, if I upgrade to 2.80 today, tomorrow there will be a 2.71 downgrader.

Man I should just warranty exchange my PSP so I can get a 2.0 or whatever they have in the stores these days.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, by 'cracked', I mean cracked for 1.5 users. The Devhook app let's you boot whatever firmware you want on your 1.5 PSP. There are downgraders available that'll take PSP's as high as 2.6 back down to 1.5 though.

If you want to enjoy homebrew on your 2.71 PSP again, don't upgrade to 2.80. It'll just make it harder for you. A lot of progress is being made on cracking 2.7x. Once that is done, a downgrader should be right around the corner.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    Yeah, by 'cracked', I mean cracked for 1.5 users. The Devhook app let's you boot whatever firmware you want on your 1.5 PSP. There are downgraders available that'll take PSP's as high as 2.6 back down to 1.5 though.

If you want to enjoy homebrew on your 2.71 PSP again, don't upgrade to 2.80. It'll just make it harder for you. A lot of progress is being made on cracking 2.7x. Once that is done, a downgrader should be right around the corner.
    Yup, I will just keep waiting. I upgraded my PSP right before the devhook deal came out. Bad move.

Chris

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    There are downgraders available that'll take PSP's as high as 2.6 back down to 1.5 though.

Wow, I didn't know that, are they just as easy to downgrade as a 2.0 psp, or do you have to jump through rings of fire to get it to downgrade a 2.6?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

probably shouldve sed "decrypted" instead of "cracked."

by "cracked," i usually think of homebrew or downgrader runnin from said firmware.

for those wondering:

the 2.80 update allows rss video and image downloads, much like the previous rss audio downloads.

also allows the psp to recognize content found in "PICTURE," "MUSIC," and "VIDEO" folders in the root folder or your memory stick (although content in the old folders will still be recognized as well).

along with that, new world tour soccer 2 demo, and tamaran (mercury meltdown) demo on the japanese psp website now available, but require 2.80 firmware (emulated or not) in order to play em.

and then a couple other small features like able to play .3gp AAC music files, an "Automatic" option for network settings, and more LocationFree player support.

but like norkusa sed:

up to you whether you'd like to upgrade or wait for homebrew to catch up for you if possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n8NMONSTER
    probably shouldve sed "decrypted" instead of "cracked."
    Yeah. All the sites I checked said it was cracked at first, but now it's just 'decrypted'. Guess they got a little excited and were drawing conclusions.

So as of now, there is no 2.80 firmware loader pack for 1.5 PSP's. I wouldn't be surprised if the Devhook team releases one in the next couple of weeks though. Those guys work fast.