Thread: Movie-Based Games that Stretch the Story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Movie-Based Games that Stretch the Story.

After playing "Super Star Wars", I started wondering at what point during the continuity of the Star Wars universe, did Luke Skywalker decide to slaughter helpless Jawas.

The topic is games that really stretch the basis of a movie (or other franchise) to try and make it fit into a videogame format.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Nick J. Phillips

"Eternal Popcorn" (Honestly?... This probably isn't worth clicking.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Movie-Based Games that Stretch the Story.

Quote Originally Posted by Veepa
    The topic is games that really stretch the basis of a movie (or other franchise) to try and make it fit into a videogame format.
    How about Marty McFly getting attacked by giant hamburgers in Back to the Future II & III on NES??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Let's not forget E.T. falling down the pits and Elliot jumping down them to ressurect him, but not rescue him. I mean really Elliot, what the fuck!

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

lets not forget the namco (famicom) star wars where darth vader turns into a giant scorpion inside the sand crawler....or when you have to have c3po talk to a whale to help you cross the artic ocean on hoth (i think it was hoth) oh and that level where luke has to go swimming to save obi-wan, man I love the japanese sometimes ;-)

theres the transformer game too, I soo remeber ultramagnus fighting giant moons and single handedly taking on bruticus trypticon and menasaur...oh and that whole thing about taking one hit and exploding? yeah I remeber him being a total pussy in the cartoon....oh wait..that IS kinda acurate ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nearly ever movie video game I've played doesn't quite match the movie, which I think is a good thing. If it's too similar to the movie then it spoils the gamer before seeing the movie, and the other way around what's the point of a game when you're just following a movie script you've seen. There's no suprises either way.

What about movies based on games? The Resident Evil and Silent Hill movies are the only one's I've really watched so far, but how do the other match up the games? I haven't heard of a single video game based movie following up anywhere near the exact same story line, but with similarities.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Friday the 13th anyone? It's a fun little game, but it really has no similarities to the movie except with Jason. I'm really surprised that there was no contriversy over it, since the premiss involved councelors and children getting slaughtered if you don't get to them in time.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    What about movies based on games? The Resident Evil and Silent Hill movies are the only one's I've really watched so far, but how do the other match up the games? I haven't heard of a single video game based movie following up anywhere near the exact same story line, but with similarities.
    Well they're really the only ones that are good, every other one is made by Uwe Boll and they just keep on getting worse and worse with that guy. Seriously, they need to pass a law where he is put to death.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can think of one game that does this in a good way....The Warriors provides a new back story to the film. It's done very, very well...kind of eerie actually, to be re-experiencing these characters so vividly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GoldenEye 007 has a pile of levels not in the original movie. Surface, Bunker 1, Silo, Frigate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dragon: The Bruce Lee story threw in a fight with two acrobats for no particularly good reason. Struck me as particularly gratuitous, given that it's ostensibly based on a biopic.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith includes a handful of stuff that either expands on the movie or adds back in stuff that was scrapped from the final film.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Goonies II on the NES has nothing to do with the movie, aside from a few common characters. Here is Mikey rescuing a mermaid and battling dragons. That is a good one to start with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Juganawt
    PSN
    Juganawt

let's see, how about The Ring - Terror's Realm on Dreamcast? Takes the basic premise of the first movie, and completely rewrites it.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - fighting giant spiders and other insectoid kind of creatures? Don't remember that in the movie.

There's literally hundreds of these moments in hundreds of movie tie in games.

A better question to ask would be "How many Movie licenses stayed totally faithful to the movie?". I can only think of a tiny few.