Thread: Computer Gaming World No More...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Computer Gaming World No More...

Well now this really sucks.

Microsoft, the computer industry giant, and Ziff-Davis, the gaming-mag giant, just sent word that they've joined forces to rip the covers off all future issues of the seminal (and creatively titled) computer gaming mag, Computer Gaming World. In their place will be shiny, new Games for Windows: The Official Magazine covers. And here we were thinking CGW was a creative name! As part of their rebranding strategy, they'll also be renaming the cgw.1up.com site (we imagine to the much more memorable gfwtom.1up.com)
    Link

On one hand I understand why it's being done. Microsoft wants to brand Vista gaming as another platform option and they want people to think Microsoft when they think PC gaming.

But damn, I've been a subscribed to CGW since 1992 and it feels like I just lost a long time friend.

It'll be interesting to see if as MS begins to brand PC gaming as Windows gaming if they'll try to charge licensing fees to release Windows games just like console publishers have to pay.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My opinions are mixed.

To me: Computer Gaming World is the single greatest gaming magazine that has ever existed. (My 2nd favourite being Zzap 64) What made it so good was that it covered games and the industry on such a mature and professional level. The kind of level you just never really saw from other gaming publications.

However: Ever since Ziff Davis purchased the magazine it was a shell of it's former self. Todays CGW was hardly the best computer magazine out there, and if i didn't receive a free subscription i wouldn't have bothered with it. In laymans terms: It was complete shit.

I just hope it's remembered more for it's glory days, then what it was most recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CGW is amazing, er was amazing.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh well. I just started reading CGW because I got a free subscription, and it's ok I guess. I liked PC Gamer when I got it free from working at EBGames. We never sold any of them, so I got to take one home when they came in.

My first PC games and favorite game of all-time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

CGW was an amazing mag. One of the first mags I ever subscribed to. It covered ALL computer games (yes, even Mac games).

What a shame, and a sham. I also read that MS is giving them all new PCs to do their reviewing on. How nice.

There goes another mag that you can't trust the reviews in.

Thanks MS, way to kill one of the best gaming mags of all time.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sooo.. I guess that would make Mr. Ziff and Mr. Davis.. what? Bill's biatches now?

Why doesn't he just buy 'em?

Ah well.. ZD destroyed what used to be techTV.. so I guess it serves them right.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Re: Computer Gaming World No More...

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    It'll be interesting to see if as MS begins to brand PC gaming as Windows gaming if they'll try to charge licensing fees to release Windows games just like console publishers have to pay.
    I shudder to think of that. There are a LOT of independent developers out there that are still cranking out games. The PC market is also wide open for anyone to try their hand at crafting a game using open source or a plethora of creation tools (Mulitmedia Fusion, Jamagic, Dark BASIC, etc). Force people to have to get a license to legally distribute software on Windows.

If they do invoke some sort of licensing, let's hope it's not retroactive to XP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

I think you're overreacting a bit. It's not like CGW covers games for Macs all that much now, if at all. They're just changing the name of the magazine for branding purposes. I was worried when I heard about it, only because of the negative connotations that come with the Windows brand name. The guts will be the same. The cover will just have a different masthead.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    Sooo.. I guess that would make Mr. Ziff and Mr. Davis.. what? Bill's biatches now?
    except for the fact that they are probably long dead ZD's been publishing one thing or another for at least 60 yrs now..

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windy Miller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently bought an issue of CGW on eBay & although it felt on the thin side, I was quite impressed by it. In fact, I was going to subscribe, but I suppose I should wait for the name change & then do it.

Going slightly o/t, is there another magazine in the US called 'Computer Games' ? Is that any good ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, I started buying CGW back in 2002 and it was a very impressive magazine.

It seems like every magazine I onced liked is either not being sold anymore or has a new "Theme" that is organized so poor that it's a chore to read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another landmark passes into history. That's all... :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, why are some of you acting like the magazine is done?

The editorial staff is staying, don't worry. Jeff Green, Ryan, Sean, Shawn ,etc. All staying.

The big reason why its undergoing the name change is because PC games are finally getting a standardized box. Each box will have "Games for Windows" on it along with some new icon they've created. I assume the magazine is going to use that name just like "Official Playstation Magazine" has Playstation in its name.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I guess I will be getting this mag in the mail now.

Strawberry (Level 2) Necrosaro420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

little off topic, but funny pic there Roxy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    The big reason why its undergoing the name change is because PC games are finally getting a standardized box. Each box will have "Games for Windows" on it along with some new icon they've created.
    So would this mean that Microsoft now has control over what kind of games can and cannot be released for Windows? Would a small independant company without a lot of money be allowed to make a Windows based game and if so would they need to pay to have a mandatory "Games for Windows" logo put on the box? What if a company didn't want a standardized box for some reason?" Does standardized boxes mean the end of collector's edition games? I'm probably over-reacting but I have a lot of doubts and questions about this.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you are over reacting.

Nothing stops a small independent company from selling thier game online (which some do now) skipping the whole expensive retail store display nonsesne.

I think the "Games for Windows", at least how i interpreted it from the article in PC Gamer, was that a standardized box/look format that is supposed to be modeled after console game displays and is supposed to be a more visually appealing display in stores.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

After further thought: I consider this a good thing. Computer Gaming World hasn't been the same in years. Pick up an issue of CGW in the 80's or early 90's and compare it to today and you will see what i mean. The differences are astounding. It wen't from THE definitive gaming magazine(with truly in-depth reviews and articles), to a dumbed down "Let's cater to the Gamepro crowd!" rag.

Better to see the name gone, then further do it damage.

Since i haven't seen it posted yet, if you are reading this topic you may be interested in seeing this link http://cgw.vintagegaming.org/ - "Computer Gaming World Museum" - Worth a look.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CGW was hilarious, and a great rag to read. Always. That includes recently. It was the best mag on the market. I was meaning to resubscribe, but now...meh. I'm not one for official mags -- it seems they all go down the crapper or are just horribly biased. But who knows, I'll give this one a shot.

XBN was another decent rag they killed off. And EGM has been run into the ground. WTF is Ziff Davis doing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think this was USAs oldest Gaming magazine?

I used to have most of the 80s issues (from 1984 onwards). Got lost whilst moving house though.

They even started a console section in the mid/late 80s, focusing mainly on NES. It got dropped after a few issues due to the 'lack of well written programs' when compared to Apple ][ or PC. Hehe.