Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Default Saturn boot up

I just got a saturn and I found a cord kicking around that will work with it or at least it makes the green light come on but without having a/v cables I can't see whats going on which brings me to my question. If I put a disc in there should it start to spin? Because when I do nothing happens. I'm wondering if some kind of menu might be coming up so that it doesn't start to read the disc right away.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should spin briefly.. if for nothing else to at least read what kind of disc it is (game vs audio CD). After that.. it goes to the appropriate menu if it's a music CD and stops. If it's a game CD and you put it in before you even powered it up.. it will usually proceed to run it.. so yeah.. it should spin even more.

I'm pretty sure a Saturn A/V out cable is the same as a Genny 2 or 3 one. I know I use them interchangabely around here.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should spin briefly.. if for nothing else to at least read what kind of disc it is (game vs audio CD). After that.. it goes to the appropriate menu if it's a music CD and stops. If it's a game CD and you put it in before you even powered it up.. it will usually proceed to run it.. so yeah.. it should spin even more.

I'm pretty sure a Saturn A/V out cable is the same as a Genny 2 or 3 one. I know I use them interchangabely around here.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Saturn boot up

If the battery is dead, the Saturn Settings menu will come up and the disc (I think) does not spin. You need to update your settings via the Saturn main menu before it will start to spin.

EDIT/UPDATE: I just tried using my backup Saturn without a battery and while the menu comes up, the disc still spins as soon as the power comes on. I have to enter a date/time and exit settings to boot the game, but the disc does spin up immediately. I know there are (at least) 2 different BIOS revs that changed between the Model 1 (oval buttons on the cover) and Model 2 (round buttons) so it still might not be out of the realm of possibility that the showing of the settings screen is hindering spin-up. As others have suggested, debugging blind is difficult.
    DaveB
    llabnip

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by llabnip
    If the battery is dead, the Saturn Settings menu will come up and the disc (I think) does not spin. You need to update your settings via the Saturn main menu before it will start to spin.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Also if this is not the case does anyone have any ideas on what else it could be?
    Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Also if this is not the case does anyone have any ideas on what else it could be?
    Thanks
    I can't confirm it, but I was thinking the exact same thing. If the motherboard battery is dead, then instead of spinning/booting/doing anything it will come up and ask what the current date/time is.

Just replace the battery and see if the disc spins. Take the battery from your PC motherboard (you can always replace it after your done testing the saturn)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks
    I can confirm that this is possible. I recently bought a Saturn myself and had to get a new battery for it. It is a CR2032 and can be found almost anywhere. There is a little trap door in the back of the Saturn to replace these.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's still gonna need to actually set the date and time once there's a good battery in there and he can't do that if he can't see the screen. I'd advise just buying an AV cable. Should be able to pick one up cheap on eBay, probably with a Buy-It-Now. Diagnosing what's going on will be *MUCH* easier if you can see something and you're gonna need a video cable eventually anyway, right?

...word is bondage...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can anyone confirm this?
    Thanks
    I can confirm that this is not the case. The disc will spin, with or without a battery. I just tried it, my battery has been dead for years and the disc will spin as soon as you turn it on.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the same problem, One of my springs came loose in the back and when the door closes now the little trigger saying the door is close doesn't fully close which I guess is the safety for the disc not spinning. If anyone has any knowledge of putting these guys back in please im or email me. When I was trying to fix that one I also popped off one in the front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe
    I'd advise just buying an AV cable. Should be able to pick one up cheap on eBay, probably with a Buy-It-Now. Diagnosing what's going on will be *MUCH* easier if you can see something and you're gonna need a video cable eventually anyway, right?
    This is true.

As for needing to see the screen to set the date/time - I think you can bypass it just by repeatedly pressing A. You'll enter the wrong date/time, but who cares?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    I tried this and it won't fit in, maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm using an Import Saturn. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Also any other ideas about why the disc might not spin?
    Thanks for all the input so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    I tried this and it won't fit in, maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm using an Import Saturn. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Also any other ideas about why the disc might not spin?
    Thanks for all the input so far.
    I'll check on that for you tomorrow. I have all 3 versions of the Genny, plus I have an oval button and a round button domestic Saturn. I also have a white round button japanese Saturn.. so I can cover all the angles actually.

I'm a totally unorganized mess. I keep most of my A/V cables in one box simply because most of them are distinguishable by their plug type. Whenever i go to play a Saturn.. I always grab what I think is a later model Genny cable.. but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure they have different pin-outs though.. so if a Genny has extra pins where the Saturn doesn't.. it probably wouldn't fit.

My Genny 3 IS all stored together with the AC, A/V and controllers it came with.. matched. I haven't even played with the thing since I bought it about 5 years ago.. beyond initial testing. So I'll dig it out and try it's cable on the Saturns and get back to you.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default Saturn AV

Hey Guys

The saturn uses a different connector than the genesis units. It is a round din plug but the metal part of it is a different shape.

I have an extra saturn RF cable I would trade or sell for $3 plus shiping.

Or the AV cable goes for around $8 with shipping on eBay.

There is no difference between the import and US saturn when it comes to the cables.

But even with a dead battery the disk still spins for a few seconds when turning it on with a disk in it. I think there is a fuse sega used on their drive motors that can blow. I have seen 2 segaCD units like that.

Good luck.
    vj

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

If there is a fuse in there that has blown is there any way that I can fix it and is it easy to do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Thanks for the help everyone I managed to get the system open, after a fight a might add, and I think the problem was a mod cheap wire came loose at least I think thats what it is. After I plugged it in the disc spins great now all I need now are the wires to check it out.