Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1994 powerfest and 1992 famicom competitions carts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 1994 powerfest and 1992 famicom competitions carts

jollerancher's Gallery i just picked up a 1994 super nintendo powerfest cart with the games super mario bros "the lost levels", super mario cart, and ken griffey jr major league baseball and a 1992 super famicom challenge cart with the games super mario world, f-zero, and pilotwings. you can view my pics at the above link.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's awesome, JR! Thanks for the pics! A Powerfest '94 cart. Wow. You are probably the only one ever outside of Nintendo employees that has owned carts from every competition (well, I can't remember if you got a Donkey Kong Competition Cart, but you even had the StarFox Super Weekend carts, lol).

It's amazing how similar the carts are.

Now, the title screen of the 1992 SNES cart doesn't say "Campus Challenge" on it. Just "Nintendo Challenge." That doesn't mean anything really...the name may have been programmed in there before the competition name was decided. But what I can't figure out is that I did an interview with the winner of the 1992 Campus Challenge, and he said he never saw or had to play any SNES games in the competition. So, I still can't figure out why there was a NES and an SNES cart for the competition.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool stuff This is the exactly same thing a guy from Sweden found some months ago. He also found it in Sweden, the USA version. Pretty wierd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its not a mere coincidence, as I've heard mentioned before a Super Mario World, F-Zero, Pilotwings competition cart. One of the competitions the witness said was either in Canada or the US.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NintenDk
    Its not a mere coincidence, as I've heard mentioned before a Super Mario World, F-Zero, Pilotwings competition cart. One of the competitions the witness said was either in Canada or the US.
    i jsut think its a little strange that this one's in a super famicom cart.

Strawberry (Level 2) Necrosaro420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice Pickup there =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLERANCHER
    It is kinda strange, but some of the snes test equipment which is roughly the same shape and size as your 2 campus carts, where used in the US for testing snes consoles, also have super famicom markings as well.

Kinda like this one on top of the snes in the picture below.

So it might just be a case, that this was the nintendo standard, after all nintendo is japanese, so you can imagine alot if not all of this stuff comes from or originates from Japan!

So those big over size carts, where used when it came to test equipment, and the campus/powerfest stuff, instead of having long rom boards sticking out, it was easy to have the flat over size versions instead.

They are nice items, and very collectable, but when people start saying there's only 2 or 3 in the wild, i CAN'T believe any of that. Ex-employees, would still have this stuff, and also imagine how many were just thrown away, after the events.

they are out there, people that have them, just don't really no, or care about them, someone mentioned about the guy in sweden has one, so to say these are priceless or one-of-kind, is pushing it alittle. If you had the money and the resourses you could dig a few of these up over time.

*Edit* Nice find btw JR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right i was going through things and old links, and i found this video on google #Link#

I take back what i said about the powerfest carts!! there must be dozens of the damn things out there! maybe even a couple of hundred?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Predatorxs
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLERANCHER
    It is kinda strange, but some of the snes test equipment which is roughly the same shape and size as your 2 campus carts, where used in the US for testing snes consoles, also have super famicom markings as well.

Kinda like this one on top of the snes in the picture below.

So it might just be a case, that this was the nintendo standard, after all nintendo is japanese, so you can imagine alot if not all of this stuff comes from or originates from Japan!

So those big over size carts, where used when it came to test equipment, and the campus/powerfest stuff, instead of having long rom boards sticking out, it was easy to have the flat over size versions instead.

They are nice items, and very collectable, but when people start saying there's only 2 or 3 in the wild, i CAN'T believe any of that. Ex-employees, would still have this stuff, and also imagine how many were just thrown away, after the events.

they are out there, people that have them, just don't really no, or care about them, someone mentioned about the guy in sweden has one, so to say these are priceless or one-of-kind, is pushing it alittle. If you had the money and the resourses you could dig a few of these up over time.

*Edit* Nice find btw JR!
    Well, the NWC 1990 carts were assembled in Japan and shipped here. I would imagine all the other competition carts were too.
    Right i was going through things and old links, and i found this video on google #Link#

I take back what i said about the powerfest carts!! there must be dozens of the damn things out there! maybe even a couple of hundred?
    WOW! video footage of this stuff is hard to find, so thanks!! I think the winner of the Powerfest told me (I'll have to check my notes later) that there should be at least 100 (or maybe he said 112, I don't remember) Powerfest carts in existence, and I think at least 50 Campus Challenge ones, according to its winner (well, the NES ones, anyway...dunno how many SNES ones, since the winner said he never had to play them and never saw them). Sometimes the staff members got to use a cart to practice in between shows so they didn't look like nimrods when they demonstrated how to play it...they could practice back at their hotel rooms. Nintendo often didn't ask for them back.

So, find out how many staff needed one for play back at their hotel room and you find out approximately how many are in the wild. I doubt there's more than say, oh, I dunno, maybe 10 out there.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gah I wanted to see it but I'm missing a plugin

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bump

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you selling these?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nes-a-holic
    Are you selling these?
    Ditto JollyRancher.. do you still have them? and are you going to ebay those puppies!?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you selling these?
    Ditto JollyRancher.. do you still have them? and are you going to ebay those puppies!?
    same question here.
    and sweet jesus, what a find!
    too bad that these will be way too rich for my blood in case you ever decide to sell them, JR...

does somebody have any information regarding the network port and what it was used for?

would love to see a dump of the roms and reverse-engineer em. =)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by d4s
    Are you selling these?
    same question here.
    and sweet jesus, what a find!
    too bad that these will be way too rich for my blood in case you ever decide to sell them, JR...

does somebody have any information regarding the network port and what it was used for?

would love to see a dump of the roms and reverse-engineer em. =)
    yeah these will probably end up on e-bay someday. dont really need the money right now so there's no big rush. i was playing the powerfest cart the other day but those mario games always aggrevated me(stupid flying turtles). according to the guy i got them from there were only 12 made and he was in charge of all of them. he flew to every competition with them. and when it was time to return them he kept one, returned the other 11 and he said he's positive the others were taken apart and reused for something else.

he also told me that the super famicom cart was used for a 1 time competiton between 2 u.s. and 2 players from japan. the u.s. players sat in a room while the japanese players i think he said played in a stadium with thousands of people watching.

me and the person i got these from are now friends, in fact i took him and his future wife out to eat last week(least i could do was buy him a steak).

my opinion on these 2 carts is that if there was dozens of them around at least a few of them would have been found by now(and in dreamtr's safe).

i got 1 quick question for anyone who might have an answer. how much do some of you experts think they might be worth?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there worth about $50 each, but i'll give you $100 each and lets call it $250 total inc shipping :P

I haven't got a clue really, putting them on ebay would be interesting thou.

That video clip i found that talked about the powerfest said the comp was held all over the states, and that was the system they used, so i'm thinking there's more than just 11??.

Now I'm not going to question your friend, since he worked in and around these comps, but i'm thinking there has to be more than just 11, and one even showed up in europe, which has already been discussed, (in this thread as well i think?)

It maybe that alot of these just either found there way onto shelves of former employee's, and a few probably made it to the garbage as well.

A college buddy of mine used to freelance for games mags here in the UK, and back in the early 90's, he did work for nintendo and sega based mags, and from what i gather, they had alot of proto/sample carts for various systems, as well as cd's, and every couple of months, they'd have a clear out of the office and all these samples/demo's/proto's just went straight to the trash.

And alot of the nintendo mags got american snes proto's and samples, since the american versions of the games where released anything from 2 to 10 months before the PAL snes got them released, So reviewers and editors used the american and jap versions to do the reviews.

There must be people out there that have hoards of this stuff Just people that worked at these magazines and just held onto them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I understand if you don't want to distribute the rom, but for your own personal sake, please get that baby backed up to preserve it!

-Rob

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be backing up my campus-cart ROMs soon, hopefully within the next few weeks. That will be a true relief I tell you.
    shrimp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kralleman
    I'll be backing up my campus-cart ROMs soon, hopefully within the next few weeks. That will be a true relief I tell you.
    So do you have the same carts as JR? as in the 2 comp campus carts? If so any pics or more info would be nice!