Thread: 3rd Party Checkout Screens

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3rd Party Checkout Screens

Recently I won an auction that was sold by one of those ISoldIt auction services. PayPal was a payment option. After I won I received a typical eBay invoice to pay for it but once the process began I was brought to a ISoldIt checkout screen that asked for a shit load of information such as my email address, physical address, phone number, etc..

I cancelled the payment process and sent the seller and email saying that I really wasn't comfortable filling out his forms and that I'd pay immediately if I was able to go through the typical PayPal checkout process and that all the information that he needed would be provided to him from PayPal. I received a response telling me that their checkout is secure and stuff but nothing to explain why it was necessary or and answer to my spam question.

Eventually I paid for the auction buy using Paypal's "Send Money" button and I received the game a week later.

It's not that I didn't trust the seller. ISoldIt is a large chain I hear. But again, any info they needed would have been provided by PayPal. Plus, if I gave them my email address I can imagine receiving regular spam advertising their stuff which I don't want.

Why to larger sellers choose to use this stuff? Any thoughts or opinions?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess its because they sell alot and a checkout system is much more organized and easier. Most (if not all) are SSL encrypted too. I dont have any big problems with, other that its boring to fill it out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been through exactly the same process before...each time I've e-mailed the seller and told them I wasn't comfortable with the checkout process and paid them directly.

My guess in the case of "isoldit" is that it is for their marketing research. I don't think most people are as discriminating as we are and will just go ahead and provide the requested info.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

If a buyer doesn't use eBay's standard checkout system, I don't buy from them. To me, it feels like a scam, because eBay doesn't keep track of whatever you do or when you paid.

As much as I hate eBay and Paypal, I'd rather stick with a demon I know than a strange one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper
    If a buyer doesn't use eBay's standard checkout system, I don't buy from them. To me, it feels like a scam, because eBay doesn't keep track of whatever you do or when you paid.

As much as I hate eBay and Paypal, I'd rather stick with a demon I know than a strange one.
    So how can you tell if the seller uses ebay or paypal's checkouts without bidding or on the BIN?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper

So how can you tell if the seller uses ebay or paypal's checkouts without bidding or on the BIN?
    They usually say so. The sellers that use these systems normally say something along the lines of "Please don't pay through eBay, pay through so and so to avoid delays".
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    My guess in the case of "isoldit" is that it is for their marketing research. I don't think most people are as discriminating as we are and will just go ahead and provide the requested info.
    How? All the info you fill out in these checkout places will also be given by Paypal when you pay.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    How? All the info you fill out in these checkout places will also be given by Paypal when you pay.
    ??? I don't understand the question. But I don't care what info Paypal gets, that doesn't bother me. I don't think "fastbuyusa" needs to know about me.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean if you pay with Paypal the seller gets your full name, adress, phonenumber etc etc. That is the exact same info you fill out on the checkout screen. So if they want to do marked research they will get your info anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean if you pay with Paypal the seller gets your full name, adress, phonenumber etc etc. That is the exact same info you fill out on the checkout screen.
    If that's the case then there's no need to be asking me for it all again. I'm sure that PayPal doesn't provide my home phone number.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paypal (or Ebay) do give your number to the seller. Ive seen my phone number on the package slip several of times and i never given the number to the sellers.

Sellers who use this checkout system probly sells 100s of items everyday. If they had to go through all the Paypal reciepts and manualy write your name and adress over to their system, it would take too much time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I mean if you pay with Paypal the seller gets your full name, adress, phonenumber etc etc. That is the exact same info you fill out on the checkout screen. So if they want to do marked research they will get your info anyway.
    Actually it doesn't bother me if the seller gets it either. It is the third party checkout provider that I have a problem with.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand. I hardly doubt they store the info tho, it would ruin them if it got out. Some are more serious than other too. Im not really a fan of the checkouts either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I understand. I hardly doubt they store the info tho, it would ruin them if it got out. Some are more serious than other too. Im not really a fan of the checkouts either.
    I'm sure a few of those actually sell your info to mail advertising companies. Hell, Paypal and eBay did it to me, so why not them?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4real? How u know it was them and what happend?