I've been trying to search around on the internet to get the exact launch date of the SNES in the U.S. Some sites say August 1991, some say September 1991, I know for a fact that I got mine on a Sunday in late August 1991. I had preordered my SNES from a place called "The Good Guys!" and I was calling them everyday in late August trying to find out which day they were going to get theirs. Then one Sunday, they had it, and said to come in and pick it up. It's possible they sold it to me a few days before the system was actually supposed to release. I remember when I picked it up. None of the individual games had been released, I could only play the pack in game Super Mario World. I think the following Tuesday, F-Zero, Pilotwings and SimCity all came out.

I have a box of old papers and stuff from back in that time period, and I should search through that box and see if I can find my old receipt and see what actual date was on it. I know it was very late August and I know it was a Sunday, but I'm guessing that wasn't the official launch date. Of course, it's very possible that the SNES didn't really have a "official" launch date, and that different days in late August retailers started receiving them and just started selling them once they got them. I'm not really sure, but if anybody knows the facts for sure, please let us know, I'm very curious to this.