Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official SNES launch date in US is......8/21/91

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Official SNES launch date in US is......8/21/91

I've been trying to search around on the internet to get the exact launch date of the SNES in the U.S. Some sites say August 1991, some say September 1991, I know for a fact that I got mine on a Sunday in late August 1991. I had preordered my SNES from a place called "The Good Guys!" and I was calling them everyday in late August trying to find out which day they were going to get theirs. Then one Sunday, they had it, and said to come in and pick it up. It's possible they sold it to me a few days before the system was actually supposed to release. I remember when I picked it up. None of the individual games had been released, I could only play the pack in game Super Mario World. I think the following Tuesday, F-Zero, Pilotwings and SimCity all came out.

I have a box of old papers and stuff from back in that time period, and I should search through that box and see if I can find my old receipt and see what actual date was on it. I know it was very late August and I know it was a Sunday, but I'm guessing that wasn't the official launch date. Of course, it's very possible that the SNES didn't really have a "official" launch date, and that different days in late August retailers started receiving them and just started selling them once they got them. I'm not really sure, but if anybody knows the facts for sure, please let us know, I'm very curious to this.

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I looked on Wikipedia, and it says August 13, 1991 as the U.S. launch date.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I still have the sticker on my SNES the day I go it: Aug 25th 1991. No other store had them at all, so i have firmly believed that this date indeed the release date...and it was a Sunday actually too. The 13th doesnt sound right. I got mine from Toys R' Us and, at least back then, they wouldnt be 2 weeks behind on a new system they had posters plastered for everywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine for my 5th birthday. August 14, 1991.

Later,
    Chrome...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome

Later,
    Chrome...
    sorry to burst your bubble, but the SNES launched in late August. That August 13th date on some sites is very wrong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

afaik it was august 23rd 1991....i read that on a mag...(dont remember which one)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1

Later,
    Chrome...
    sorry to burst your bubble, but the SNES launched in late August. That August 13th date on some sites is very wrong
    Why did you make this topic if you aren't going to fairly consider the responses you get?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0

Later,
    Chrome...
    Why did you make this topic if you aren't going to fairly consider the responses you get?

Ok, maybe that post was kinda harsh, but I definitely know that the SNES was first available publicly in the United States in late August. It was not available publicly in the U.S. in early or mid August. It was definitely late August. Now, having said that, I'm not absolutely certain, that the official launch date was late August. I'm just saying that it first became available to the general public at large in late August. I've seen the 8-13-91 date mentioned before, and I'm guessing that it's an incorrect date that has just been picked up by numerous websites. Either that, or that is the date that SNES systems were made available to the U.S. press to possibly review ahead of the actual launch. It's entirely possible that the offical date was actually one of the first days in September, but SNES systems started arriving in stores in late August, and a number of stores started selling them prior to the official date, and Nintendo didn't enforce it in a major way.

I experienced the launch in Sacramento, CA, and while that time was going on, I was constantly checking with the local Toys R Us and EB and Software ETC. and all the various places that would have carried it back then. I was checking in daily with all of them. Not a single one of them received a SNES prior to that Sunday in late August, so either Sacramento was an anomally or the SNES first appeared for retail sale in the U.S. in late August. I'm just trying to confirm this, and confirm the exact date if possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Nintendo press/media person would probably be the best person to set this straight, no?
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr
    A Nintendo press/media person would probably be the best person to set this straight, no?
    no they don't tend to know about not current generation stuff but, they have some kind of a hotline that you can talk to and that would be best. I read here someone called it once and the person there checked the computer to see what all the Players choice n64 games were and they got a call back with the complete list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's possible the the August 13th date accurately describes some sort of limited launch, and its exact date of availability depends on your location. I think the first time something launched simultaneously the same day across all of North America was Sega CD. I know that Genesis, for example, first launched in just New York, LA, and SF, and other areas had to wait up to 2-3 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure the early Nintendo Power's tell all.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor
    It's possible the the August 13th date accurately describes some sort of limited launch, and its exact date of availability depends on your location. I think the first time something launched simultaneously the same day across all of North America was Sega CD. I know that Genesis, for example, first launched in just New York, LA, and SF, and other areas had to wait up to 2-3 weeks.

There is no way in hell the SNES was launched on August 13th. That date is wrong PERIOD. It's very unfortunate, that Wikipedia seems to have that as a launch date, because all kinds of other websites are just picking that date up and running with it, and it's totally inaccurate. We are talking about possibly the best system ever in existence, pound for pound. In terms of the era it was released in, the fact it came out in Japan in 1990 and USA in 1991, that system was pound for pound, one of the best pieces of kit, that has ever been released...mate. Ya heard? We should know the fucking date the machine came out, and there shouldn't be this totally incorrect date floating around out there.

I checked a calendar of August 1991, and the last Sunday in August was August 25th. I'm about 99 percent certain that I picked my SNES up the day it was released, on the final Sunday in August. No other store anywhere near Sacramento had it before the final Sunday in August. The final Sunday in August was August 25th. I'm not 100 percent positive the launch date was officially August 25th, 1991, but I know damn well it wasn't anywhere near August 13th or 14th or anything like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor

There is no way in hell the SNES was launched on August 13th. That date is wrong PERIOD. It's very unfortunate, that Wikipedia seems to have that as a launch date, because all kinds of other websites are just picking that date up and running with it, and it's totally inaccurate. We are talking about possibly the best system ever in existence, pound for pound. In terms of the era it was released in, the fact it came out in Japan in 1990 and USA in 1991, that system was pound for pound, one of the best pieces of kit, that has ever been released...mate. Ya heard? We should know the fucking date the machine came out, and there shouldn't be this totally incorrect date floating around out there.

I checked a calendar of August 1991, and the last Sunday in August was August 25th. I'm about 99 percent certain that I picked my SNES up the day it was released, on the final Sunday in August. No other store anywhere near Sacramento had it before the final Sunday in August. The final Sunday in August was August 25th. I'm not 100 percent positive the launch date was officially August 25th, 1991, but I know damn well it wasn't anywhere near August 13th or 14th or anything like that.
    Let's see... we've got various reputable internet references that say August 13th, a member who remembers buying it around this time, and a logical reason for the discrepancy between your date and this date, versus your weird opinion that is not backed up at all. I admit that it might turn out that you're right, but I'm in the camp of the "What the hell'd you ask the question for if you don't want to know the answer?" people.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A good question to ask would be where did you buy it?

I gotta go with Sirhansirhan on this one, and another vote of confidence in the "depends where you're at" system.

...Maybe this is Anthony's revenge for all the hating on his posts?

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Well, if it truly was released in limited quantities on the 13th to certain areas, then Im pretty sure NYC would have been included, as that is where I bought mine and saw it nowhere before the 25th. As I stated earlier, my box still has the official yellow sticker on it with the date I purhased it and that is 8/25/91.

I do understand where Anthony1 is coming from. Sometimes its hard when you dont know the exact answer to something, but DO know the wrong answer to it. There are some video game related info-bits that get tossed all over the internet and are completely wrong and really get me annoyed, one example being Snatcher. How many times do I correct people about the damn "uncensored code makes some chick naked and theres more blood" being false?!?! In this case, i KNOW i'm 100% right, but youd be surprised how many people refuse to accept it for some reason because a half-ass site somewhere tells them the opposite.

It just all comes down to finally wanting to know a full, 100% correct answer to something and being sick of hearing misinformation being repeated from an inaccurate source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut
    Sometimes its hard when you dont know the exact answer to something, but DO know the wrong answer to it.
    It's definitely hard to discover the truth when you're dead set against accepting any possibilities you have disqualified for vague, uncertain reasons!

Looking forward to more revelations here, anyway...there's been some interesting comments so far.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

You'd think Nintendo themselves would have the answer, but there's no information in the system page for the SNES, and all the launch games are listed as August 1st. Very helpful, not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I tried...

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo
    <nintendo@noa.nintendo.com>
    Hi,

The Super NES was officially launched in North America in August of 1991.You'll find this, and a lot of other interesting information in our "Company History" in the Corporate Info section on our web site.

Nintendo of America Inc.
    Mike Chandler

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
    Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought SNES launched on 9/9/91. I wonder where I got that from.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com