Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nes Toaster

Fianally finished my toaster hacking.
    Here's what I did.
    1.took it apart down to the motherboard.
    2. soldered a new straight connector (like one from a genie) straight to the motherboard (where the old 72 pin attached)
    3. Flipped the motherboard over and put it in upside down. (used spacers and 4 bolts and attached it to the top instead of bottom half of the case.
    4. Drilled holes in the front for the power, rf ,and rca.
    5. Had to extend the 1st player controller wires so they would reach the connector on the motherboard.
    6. Cut out a small section below the original cart door so carts would now fit.
    7. Put it back together , hooked it up , Works perfect First Time , Every Time.

P.S. I know it's not perfect. If I do another one it will look much better. I think i can attach the motherboard without the bolts showing. There were a lot of mistakes made with this one.
    I needed something to test games with , so I would KNOW FOR SURE if the games needed cleaning , or the NES.

http://members.aol.com/jonjandran/nes.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/jonjandran/nes1.jpg

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Nice to see you've put to use those connectors I told you about,

How does it hold up when you stick a cartridge in and pull it out?(Being soldered on the motherboard and all) I'm leery of the hacking you did but like you said, you need to try again to make it look better. I need to get started and find a spare toaster deck. No way am I tearing apart my first Nintendo, afterall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I laid the solder on nice and thick and it holds great. I pushed prodded and wiggled and it doesn't move or twist or anything. And once you've done it once , the second time it would be easy to make the holes for the power, rf , and rca perfect. And I'm going to do the 4 bolts on top different so they don't show.
    It was 2:00 in the morning and I wasn't on top of my game and I have extra nes toasters so I just flew through it.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You coulld also try desoldering the entire RF block and mounting them in the original spot on the back. Then routing the wires to connect the block to the board.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could do that with the rf, power, and rca. It just becomes a matter of how much do you want to do?
    Also guess what I noticed. Without the metal "shield" on the top and bottom of the motherboard you get the " stripey" graphics like the toploaders. Makes you wonder if regulations loosened a little and they took some of the shoelding out of the toploaders and that's why you get " stripey " graphics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    Also guess what I noticed. Without the metal "shield" on the top and bottom of the motherboard you get the " stripey" graphics like the toploaders. Makes you wonder if regulations loosened a little and they took some of the shoelding out of the toploaders and that's why you get " stripey " graphics.
    Alternately, this would make for an interesting modification for top loaders- adding shielding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why people have so many problems with NES's, that they would go to these lengths to get it working properly?

My NES gives me hardly any problems, as long as cartridge connectors are kept clean (on console and games) most of my games load perfectly and work perfectly first time.

The only games that give me problems are Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3 (probably because they've been used so much!)

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster
    I don't understand why people have so many problems with NES's, that they would go to these lengths to get it working properly?

My NES gives me hardly any problems, as long as cartridge connectors are kept clean (on console and games) most of my games load perfectly and work perfectly first time.

The only games that give me problems are Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3 (probably because they've been used so much!)
    it was a design flaw for the toaster NES that caused alot of this.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm resurrecting this thread!

I got ahold of an extra toaster deck recently. Desoldered the RF/power supply and the expansion port so I can take the naked motherboard and create something similar to what jonjandran posted initially. Doing this means I won't have to cut holes in the casing for the video/audio and have an easier time mounting the board- one thing I noticed though when I soldered the Cinch straight-through connector is that it's pretty faulty.

Games like Gyromite or Super Mario Bros. would not come up while later titles like Mega Man 3 would. Now all of my connections were properly soldered since I had checked them with a continuity tester earlier. Yet every cart played when they were inserted with a Game Genie. I ended up comparing the connector to the one in the Game Genie and found that the latter was 1) Gold plated, 2) had bigger pins, so I'm going to canibalize the Genie and swap out the connectors.

I'll post pictures when I'm finished, or as I go along if someone wants a specific pic. Debating painting the case a custom color afterwards and changing the power LED to blue too.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@jonjandran: anyway you might be able to post a detailed description of what needs to be done to achieve rca output from a toaster NES? I'd really rather have it output that way than with this crappy RF adapter.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    @jonjandran: anyway you might be able to post a detailed description of what needs to be done to achieve rca output from a toaster NES? I'd really rather have it output that way than with this crappy RF adapter.
    The toaster version of the NES released in North America has RCA jacks on the side for video (yellow) and audio (red - mono). Only the top-loader (to my knowledge I've never heard of/seen a toaster with out them) doesn't have the RCA jacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ste
    The toaster version of the NES released in North America has RCA jacks on the side for video (yellow) and audio (red - mono). Only the top-loader (to my knowledge I've never heard of/seen a toaster with out them) doesn't have the RCA jacks.
    This is where it gets confusing. Every toaster I've used, you put the toast in the top. So why does everybody call the 1st NES a 'toaster', when a toploader bears more resemblence to an actual toaster. The 1st NES should be a 'toaster oven', except there isn't any spring-loaded mechanism in a toaster oven, adding greatly to the semiotic dissonance. Help me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by ste
    This is where it gets confusing. Every toaster I've used, you put the toast in the top. So why does everybody call the 1st NES a 'toaster', when a toploader bears more resemblence to an actual toaster. The 1st NES should be a 'toaster oven', except there isn't any spring-loaded mechanism in a toaster oven, adding greatly to the semiotic dissonance. Help me.
    It's called a toaster cause it's spring-loaded and you gotta push it down in place. I guess the name is slightly misleading, as you stated. The nickname was established before the release of the 2nd gen NES (at least in my area)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Better pictures coming once my good digital camera returns home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MORE PICS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And details. Looks good man.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great job !!!!!

This will be the one to copy .....

In fact I think I'll market this on E-Bay . ( Evil Laugh )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've been tempted to myself, but it's a big if. Selling it on Ebay that is- anyone remember that pirate NES that looked just like the toaster but was smaller and loaded similarly to this? I remember it going for some pricey amount.

Anyway it's all I'll play my NES games on now.