Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default PC Engine Compatibility Question

Can a PC Engine play US TG-16 games with an adapter (like a reverse Kisado)? If not why?

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PC engine can play them with an adaptor. I used to have a PC Engine and I used to play my US games on it. I really loved the size of that machine. Tiny as hell! They should have kept the same style for the US release IMHO. And if they didn't want to release a white system in the US, they could have released the grey Core Grafx at least.

BTW: I can't remember what brand adaptor I had. It was a long one...like a diving board. And yes, you have to be sure the adaptor is reversed. There are two versions of the adaptor. One that reverses the Jap pinout to teh US machine, and vice versa. But, the adaptors are HARD to get..to say the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's actually cheaper to have one system for import huCards and one for domestic. If you're LUCKY, you can get an adaptor for Japanese games on a US system for around $50...I paid $25 for mine, but now they're around $75-100. works out to about the same price as both systems combined.

My adaptor is Japanese, and shows a picture of a US huCard in a Japanese PC Engine on it though. I use it to play Japanese huCards in a US Duo, but the picture implies that it woudl work the other way as well. I'm really not sure. I can take a pic or a scan of it if you want.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Yeah I have a Kisado adapter for my Turbo Duo, but I was wondering if I got a Supergrafx if I could play US games on it. Then again the Supergrafx with the CD drive on it looks ugly as hell. Plus its alot of money to play 6 extra games. I guess I was just curious.

Incidentally is the Supergrafx THE biggest failure in videogame history? I mean even the really bad systems got at least 10 or 15 games, but the Supergrafx only got 6.

Tempest

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Telestar only has 4 games and I know there's a VCR based game that bombed even worse.

Anyway, it's cheaper to pick up an used Coregrafx just for playing PCE games. You may expect around $30 for a bare console plus controller. Make sure they have AV hookup because RF hookup can be tricky to use on USA TV.

Forget SuperGrafx, it's best reserved for the true die hard NEC collectors with deep pockets.
    Another day, another dollar... wake me when it's payday.
    still playing games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to mention that the CD attachment for the Supergrafx is nearly impossible to come by...costs way too much to make it wirth your time assuming you can find it at all.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
    Incidentally is the Supergrafx THE biggest failure in videogame history? I mean even the really bad systems got at least 10 or 15 games, but the Supergrafx only got 6.
    Tempest
    I wouldn't necessarily dispute that, but I use my SuperGrafx quite a bit as it plays all of the PC Engine HUcards as well.

I recently acquired a PC Engine LT, with the Interface unit to the CD-ROM system and damn it's sweet. Huge screen, even blows away the PC Engine GT (or TurboExpress as it's known in the US).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I wouldn't necessarily dispute that, but I use my SuperGrafx quite a bit as it plays all of the PC Engine HUcards as well.

I recently acquired a PC Engine LT, with the Interface unit to the CD-ROM system and damn it's sweet. Huge screen, even blows away the PC Engine GT (or TurboExpress as it's known in the US).

You don't want to keep that DP I'm sure I could offer you the rare hat of the creator of Tetris for it!! lol

Seriously though..the PC Engine LT is so cool! I just wish they weren't averaging $700 each....I'd have one if they were reasonably priced! All of NECs handhelds were very well made....I have a Turboexpress and I'm quite impressed with the quality compared to other handhelds. I'm sure the LT is no different and damned if it's not REALLY cool too! I think that's the ultimate PCE system...and you can hook up an external CD-ROM2 to it as well and play the CD games with it...portable! Soooooooo awesome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

How's the screen on the PC Engine LT? Is it better than the Turbo Express? I always found the TE screen to be grainy due to the lower resolution making some games impossible to play.

Tempest