Thread: Game Gear US release list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Game Gear US release list

Being the sega freak that I am, I knew it would be a matter of time. Now that I am wrapping up on Genesis, I want to pursue another sega set. Although I am closer on a SMS set, I am really enjoying collecting for Game Gear. I have several questions, and any help on the matter would be great.

1. Does anyone here have a complete US Game Gear set(every game)

2. What Game Gear US releases are in question? Strider III? Baby Boom?

3. What are the hardest (top 20) games to come by?

4. Is there anyone on the forum that I can be directed to who is an "expert" on the matter?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DP lists are good for looking stuff up, but I like lists that I can cut and paste into excel, without alot of tripe. Anyone got something like that? I must only need 20 more GG carts, but since I haven't got a complete list of confirmed US titles, it's hard to make up a wants list.

ian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check with DreamTR (I think that's his ID). I believe he was working on the complete collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Check this thread in the Collectors Guide forum:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54394

mikeetler & DreamTR are probably the best guys to talk to about US releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I can really say is most Gamegear games are worth under $10 so be hesitant to spend too much.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am contemplating to collect GG games also. But if we talk about the boxes and manuals, how hard it to get complete titles with their boxes and manuals?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Policenaut
    I am contemplating to collect GG games also. But if we talk about the boxes and manuals, how hard it to get complete titles with their boxes and manuals?
    It's not nearly as easy... kind of like the old b&w gameboy games that were around the same time (though some of those early GB games are REALLY hard to find complete, harder than any GG game.) I do believe that GG boxes tended to be saved a little more that those for the GB games but they all appealed to the younger gamer... in other words, people who didn't save boxes. It's very easy to get all the Majesco re-releases complete and in good shape plus most of the later original releases from Sega and the like. It's those earlier ones that are harder to find complete and they carry a larger value.

Many Japanese GG games can be found complete (if a bit tatty) and they all play on your USA Game Gear console.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a little usefull (useless?) info regarding the US release of Fantasy Zone Gear:

From what I can figure, the earliest US release had the yellow logo on the box, manual, and cart.
    A slightly later release had the yellow logo on the box and manual, but included a European cart (pink logo).
    And it seems that even later, Sega may have been selling the European (international) version in the US.

The earliest (all yellow logos) variation is the hardest to find.
    I pieced mine together from a sealed copy with the european cart inside, and a loose yellow logo cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by Policenaut
    It's not nearly as easy... kind of like the old b&w gameboy games that were around the same time (though some of those early GB games are REALLY hard to find complete, harder than any GG game.) I do believe that GG boxes tended to be saved a little more that those for the GB games but they all appealed to the younger gamer... in other words, people who didn't save boxes. It's very easy to get all the Majesco re-releases complete and in good shape plus most of the later original releases from Sega and the like. It's those earlier ones that are harder to find complete and they carry a larger value.

Many Japanese GG games can be found complete (if a bit tatty) and they all play on your USA Game Gear console.
    Interesting info. I might also say that the fact that GG boxes are of cardboard makes a direct influence in the completion of the titles. Like GB/GBC, etc. Not like SMS, their boxes are of plastic. Although we can find SMS cardboard boxes from Brazil.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Game Gear boxes are still pretty tough to find. I think more people HAD Game Boy, so you can still find "some" of those complete. The Game Gear list is a bit wacky right now, and there are some games that should be on there, and some that should not. I'm still trying to verify a couple of them myself, whereas the others (like Pengo) are European and not US releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was Spider-Man really just a European release? I own that and don't think it's a EU version release.

Anyways, felt like comming back and listing what I currently own in somewhat order of more rare to most common.

Spider-Man?
    Mega Man
    Arcade Classics: Centipede/Missile Command
    *Battletoads
    Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
    *Zoop
    TaleSpin
    Shinobi II
    *Shinobi
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Tom & Jerry: The Movie
    *Batman Forever
    X-Men
    *Aladdin
    Poker Face Paul's Blackjack
    Wheel of Fortune
    Columns
    Ecco 2: Tides of Time
    Mortal Kombat
    Sonic Chaos
    Super Columns
    Mortal Kombat II
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Sonic and Tails
    Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble

* -> These games I own complete and have their boxes stored. I got a Gamegear back in '95 and loved it to death, it being my first game system personally. Those are the games I originally got so I made sure I kept everything. All other games except 7 have cases to stash them in plus they are all contained in a big carrying case I got a few months back. It's really rough finding boxes and all for them so I don't mind getting them but they must have cases! I'm upset enough having some just laying around not shell protected.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spider-Man came out in the USA as well.