Thread: eBay sellers using the DP Guide to promote their auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default eBay sellers using the DP Guide to promote their auctions

Does it bug you or bother you at all?

I noticed Dyer60 on eBay UK has been placing sentances in each his auctions stating the rarity according to the DP guide, and a few others i have stumbled across too

Up for sale is this Sega Mega-CD game:Theme Park.

Conversion of the classic "Build your own Theme Park" sim with added FMV. Rare PAL release. Extremley hard to find in the UK. Rated as an R7 on Digital Press website.

Theme Park Mega CD Acution (Click)

I dont know about you, but i thought it was only a matter of time before the guide fell into the hands of eBayers to use it.
    A method of making good sales? or taking advantage of hardwork!?

The question is do they own the actual book of the guide like alot of us here do?

Opinions?

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really see a problem with it, as long as the rarity guide is freely available online... I'm not sure I would call it taking advantage of hard work, the people who put the guide together did it for people who wanted to know how rare the item was. As long as they credit Digital Press, I don't see a problem..

...And no, I'm not the seller of that item

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: eBay sellers using the DP Guide to promote their auction

Quote Originally Posted by Cauterize
    Does it bug you or bother you at all?

I noticed Dyer60 on eBay UK has been placing sentances in each his auctions stating the rarity according to the DP guide, and a few others i have stumbled across too

Up for sale is this Sega Mega-CD game:Theme Park.

Conversion of the classic "Build your own Theme Park" sim with added FMV. Rare PAL release. Extremley hard to find in the UK. Rated as an R7 on Digital Press website.

Theme Park Mega CD Acution (Click)

I dont know about you, but i thought it was only a matter of time before the guide fell into the hands of eBayers to use it.
    A method of making good sales? or taking advantage of hardwork!?

The question is do they own the actual book of the guide like alot of us here do?

Opinions?

I have no problem with it. I'd rather people reference the DP rarity of a game than just claim that every game they were selling was rare.

As for whether they own the actual book or not I guess it really doesn't matter since the price guide is freely available online for anyone to access.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I think it's cool and a great way to promote DP.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here, doesnt bother me at all. Free commercial for DP too

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It's been happening for a while, sometimes I see C64 and Vic20 auctions with reference to the guide rarity.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i feel that there is nothing wrong with it. DP's book is for everyone 2 use. Its there for info to help you along with your collecting/selling fun

i didnt see anywhere thats its only for collectors use

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a rather amusing dichotomy really.

Dealers put such faith in the validity of DP's rarity rating; but AREN'T trying to.. or don't WANT to let their stuff go for DPs estimated value.

Think about THAT!!!

Other than that.. I see no wrong with it; but those of us who actually frequent the site.. see the irony in it.

I get more ticked by seeing people wander into the B&S thread; and their very first post ever.. is to try and sell 100 strategy guides out of what appears to be a "business" of theirs (If you know what I mean ).

Now THAT'S what I call "audacity"!
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sell from time to time. I'm a collector/gamer. I've been referencing DP rarity stats in my auctions for years now.

I'm not a business. I see it as a promotion of DP and I hate it more when someone sells a COMMON item and lists it as "WOW UBBER RARE". or saying something is the "Rarest game on the system", when they don't have idea of what rarity means.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    Dealers put such faith in the validity of DP's rarity rating; but AREN'T trying to.. or don't WANT to let their stuff go for DPs estimated value.
    Well, does anybody? Honestly I love the guide for it's rarity database but there have been times where I've felt its prices were way off what the going rate for a game really was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    Well, does anybody?..
    No Griking.. you're absolutely right; but I was just stating a "reflection" of what I thought the general audience here at DP WOULD say.

I personally.. actually feel like you do.. that the DP guide prices aren't anywhere near reality.. but both you and I have stated that several times.. and all we ever get is a "fan" trying to rationalize otherwise to us.

You and I think an awful lot alike. We are always willing to give sellers the "benefit of the doubt". Pay extra special attention to the hollow claims and hidden inuendos when we DO examine an auction's details.. and blame ourselves and no one else.. when we occasionally get "caught" by them. We are constantly telling eBay and forum "noobs" alike.. "You should have read the WHOLE auction details" and "The seller HAS the right to put what stipulations; and add what extraneous charges he wants" into HIS auctions.

Most people simply don't have the scrutiny and ability to learn from the past.. that you and I do.

It seems that you and I are always taking the stance of playing "The Devil's Advocate" defending seller's rights whenever someone posts up another "Can they get away with this?" whine thread around here (more than often.. by someone who DIDN'T know better). Even though.. neither one of us are "dealers" per se; on the evilBay.

..but I'm getting OT here. I didn't want to come acrossed like I was complaining that said sellers don't use DP prices as well.. just pointing out the "irony" in it.

There.. I said it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I generally feel that rarity rarely changes (unless somebody has a huge warehouse find or decides to sell their long hidden collection) and thus a rarity guide is a good thing. I do find that price guides are essentially useless, because some games are hot for one minute and not the next. Then you have even older games, that become somewhat fashionable to collect and the price goes up for them. The unfortunate thing about sellers that have no knowledge of gaming is that they'll look at Ebay prices and think that they golden. I find the DP guide has been tremendously valuable to me, if not for pricing, then for keeping lists, variants and so forth, to aid me in collecting. It (price) does however come down to one basic fundemental and that's "how much is someone willing to pay".
    Cheers
    Mark

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Personally I'd rather they refer back to the DP guide in thier auctions and what not just for the fact that I know the DP guide. Plus at least the seller is giving the buyer accurate information about the item for sale. If all the sellers were to use it, then DP would be THE videogame guide to use and DP would be for videogames as Beckett is to sports cards. I'd vote DP all the way for being the only rarity guide to use (although I do enjoy other sites also).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what is the guide for if not to reference for sales/auctions/trading? Just so you can have a warm feeling that that cart you got for $1 at a yard sale is a R4?
    I don't think the guide makes any sense UNLESS it's used by sellers.

the accuracy of the guide is another matter ...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think they should really mention it, since the guide's ratings really aren't very accurate.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally think it is a good thing. You have to admit this a lot better than the moron seller that lists Combat and Duck Hunt as RARE!! Although is not perfect in all of its rarities, it is acurate enough. In fact I think it would be cool it the collector could have multiple sources for their rarities like listing Digitpress and Atariage rarities at the same time.
    yep yep

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
    I don't think they should really mention it, since the guide's ratings really aren't very accurate.
    Ooooooookay, way to slap the face of all the people who hard and for free (including myself) to keep the sections updated and comprehensive...