Thread: Nice Case Mod for Phantom 1 Converter

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nice Case Mod for Phantom 1 Converter

Anyone who owns a Phantom 1 converter knows that the one problem with it is that you have to manually line up the connects to put it in the Neo. It's not really a big problem, but it is annoying. Luckily a person by the name of Tiptonium over at neo-geo.com came up with a nice case mod for the Phantom. You can view what he did here.

http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/ultimateb...c;f=5;t=004209

First things first, you have to get a cheap and common Neo Geo cart that you would be willing to saw almost in half. I used a Fatal Fury Special that I had that was in terrible shape. Not a big loss, I can get another one in much better shape for 30-40 bucks.

Then you have to open it up and take out the boards. Now what makes this mod work and makes doing it much easier is the fact that the Phantom 1 has holes cut in it that perfectly line up with the posts in the empty Neo shell. So I put the Phantom 1 in the bottom of the case, then made marks with a box cutter on each side of the case where I would have to cut. Then I grabbed the hacksaw and cut the top off the bottom part of the Neo case as even as I could.

Then I put the case back together, so I could evenly cut off the top of the other side of the case. This part was much easier to cut, since you could use the already cut half as a guide.

Now the toughest part. You then have to put the phantom face down in the front part of the empty shell and measure where you will have to cut out a space for the audio jacks that the Phantom 1 has. Once again I used a box cutter to make marks on each side of the audio jacks where I would have to cut. Then I kinda estimated how far into the cart I would have to cut. Worked out pretty well.

Then I made sure the hole I cut for the audio jacks lined up correctly with the phantom. After that was done, all I had to do was figure out something to eliminate the jagged edges from where I had cut the case. So I just used some black electrical tape and covered up all the edges. Doesn't look the nicest, but it does the job.

Then just place the Phantom 1 in the back of the case, with the posts lined up, and attach the front of the case, and boom, you got yourself a better looking, much easier to use Phantom-1.

Now all I have to do is make a label for the cart, and make an insert for the case I will put it in.

Here's some pics. (might have to cut and paste the link)

http://www.geocities.com/buttasuperb/phantom1.html

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Phantom 1

Hi There,

Excuse my Neo ignorance, but what exactly does the converter convert? Japanaese to American? MVS Arcade to Home?

Yours,
    Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It lets you play MVS carts on a home system. Saves money in the long run with certain Neo Geo games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Butta,

I also read what Tiptonium wrote and it got me thinking. Then, after reading what you wrote, it made me think even more.

I should be getting a Phantom 1 here in the next week or so, so I think I will use your post as a guide to make a case for it. I'm not sure if Tip actually went into detail on how to do so, but it seems to be pretty straightforward

I just wish Ray would put them in a case. No offense to him, but for as much as the damn thing costs........

Bill

I also forgot to add. Is it easier to use a Home or MVS cart to do the case? Seems that an MVS would be easier due to the cases having screws in them.
    Coming soon:

I will be shooting for 200,000 points on 2600 Beamrider. It'll take at least a 12 pack of Bud bottles. AT LEAST.........

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have to use a homecart for it. The MVS cart will not fit in the home system, which is the reason for the phantom in the first place.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Butta,

I realized once I posted my reply/question that you meant a Home Cart case. One of those not thinking before posting kind of symptoms.

Thanks for the post though. I should be getting a Phantom 1 this week sometime from the Neo-Store. Now to find a "victim" to sacrifice for a case.......

Bill
    Coming soon:

I will be shooting for 200,000 points on 2600 Beamrider. It'll take at least a 12 pack of Bud bottles. AT LEAST.........

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, Bill! It's good to see you here, man. This is Jess, by the way, in case you didn't know.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    Hey, Bill! It's good to see you here, man. This is Jess, by the way, in case you didn't know.

JR
    Heya!

Just some Neo chat. Still deciding which Neo cart is to go "under the knife" for my project.

Bill
    Coming soon: