Thread: Why do systems launch in November compared to old systems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why do systems launch in November compared to old systems?

What is it with systems these days that they are always released in November? After seeing the confirmation of the SNES release it really got me wondering. The Dreamcast, Super NES, PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Genesis (?), and plenty others have always been released in months like September, hell even August. But ever since the PlayStation 2, systems have always been released in November.

From a consumer this bugs me because it always seems like it's more hectic to get the system then it should be, because it's so close to the holidays. I'd much rather prefer that companies release the system in August/September so the hardcore gamers can get in on the action, and then the company shipping a second shipment sometime in late November. While camping out is fun and all, it can get a little over whelming.

What do you guys say?
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Likely cause November is when companies are gearing up their big guns for the Christmas season. Supply and demand and all that good stuff.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Likely cause November is when companies are gearing up their big guns for the Christmas season. Supply and demand and all that good stuff.
    Yup exactly thats the main reason is because of the holidays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But ever since the PlayStation 2, systems have always been released in November.
    PS2 came out in October I think.

Unless you mean that was the last system to come out before November.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joker T

PS2 came out in October I think.

Unless you mean that was the last system to come out before November.
    Actuall yeah it was October 26 I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I love it, they all launch right around my birthday, so I have an excuse or reason to get it every time .

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, the problem is, none of them can match the demand in the Nov-Dec period, remember last year? MS could've sold couple more million units if they had as many as they could sell. The dry spell extended well into Feb, what a joke.

IMO, system launch in Nov-Dec is a very bad idea, if launched in summer (even Sept), companies can catch up and meet the demand.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Retailers only make about 20-25% of their entire yearly sales (and profits) in the first 3 quarters of the year. If businesses have a few bad 4th Quarters they are basically dead. And as thus, the Xmas season is where they need the sales so often all the big demand stuff comes out then.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    No, the problem is, none of them can match the demand in the Nov-Dec period, remember last year? MS could've sold couple more million units if they had as many as they could sell. The dry spell extended well into Feb, what a joke.

IMO, system launch in Nov-Dec is a very bad idea, if launched in summer (even Sept), companies can catch up and meet the demand.
    But here's the thing, wmost people, even kids, aren't inside playing video games during the Summer. Spet seems more resonable (long as its not a surprise launch like the Saturn).
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

i think a november release for systems pisses people off. I remember pre-ordering several xbox 360 to ensure i got one and i had to get my money back from several different places and ended up having to go to the store at 4:30 am. I know i get pissed when they do it right b4 x-mas because it never meets the demand and everybody has to pay for retail bundles or argue with people in line and whatnot. Just give us the damn system in september THROUGH november and make sure there is plenty of software before x-mas and they would make all thier money off the games alone. Also little 10 yo Billy won't be let down at x-mas time when the parents have to give him an IOU because they didn't wanna camp out in front of a store. I don't see how releasing it in november will make the company any more money than if they were to sell it a few months earlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

I think the companies are running on the half-cocked idea that when demand outweighs supply, sales will increase.

Say you were thinking about buying a PS3/Wii/whatever, but weren't ohmigodding over getting it right away. But then, you hear that stores are only getting 3 or 4 units so only a select few people will get it. Maybe now you want one more just so you can say you got it. It becomes a bragging rights thing. It's very short-sighted IMHO but it pays off for short-term profits.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Quote Originally Posted by vincewy

But here's the thing, wmost people, even kids, aren't inside playing video games during the Summer. Spet seems more resonable (long as its not a surprise launch like the Saturn).
    That was the point, if a system is launched in the summer, many players wouldn't mind waiting til holiday (Nov-Dec) and companies will have at least 2 months to boost productions to feed the holiday frenzy, I thought system launch in Nov is almost complete waste of time/effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But then they've wasted hype (and money) advertising a launch well before the Christmas season, time they should've spent making sure the console was as modern as possible and polishing up game code.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This occurence is really happening due to these new systems being finished up and shiped out till the very last minute. Xbox 360 was rushed to launch. Microsoft then made it a world wide launch so the system would be avaliable in all regions on launch day. Ps3 itself is still being finalized as we speak, though elements of it have already been manufactured.

Plus dont forget they are also trying a world wide launch. Wii itself they are pretty much done with the hardware but they now need to figure out how to price it and what should come with it, so they are using sept as the month where they have a final decision.

So the major reason is that this generation most of these consoles are being finalized at the very last minute. Since the market is now stronger in the U.S., they are also trying to shortan the gap between foreign and U.S. release.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I think they'd ideally have the launch time be when the system is really ready to be released, however, it's probably extremely hard to gauge initial progress of system developement to plan accurately.

My guess is like the 360 probably should have been released in feb of 06, but they instead threw a bunch of people on OT and rushed it to get it in November.... I mean Microsofts strategy seems to be just release something now and we'll send out patches and fixes along the way... seems to have worked well enough for them thus far.

You're kind of thinking they have the system all ready to rock'n'roll in sept., and just the marketing dept. has convinced them to hold off till nov.

Perhaps they're under the impression that releasing in sept., doesn't really influence sales at all and it would be better for them to put those 2 extra months into development of the system itself... just a thought.

Nate