Thread: DOOM Collector's Edition vs. DOS versions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DOOM Collector's Edition vs. DOS versions

I just tried out the latest Doom set while compiling a list of what PC games I want to buy again, and I have mixed feelings about it. Here's the one I'm talking about:

All 3 Doom games running in Windows? Sure! Slightly updated graphics? Cool!

Different sounding music, and none of the startup screens? NO!

The music sounds similiar, but not the same. And if that hasn't ventured into "being anal" territory, this will: The startup initialization screen, the title screens, and the "thank you/buy our game and don't pirate it" message when you exit back into DOS are all absent. Ughh.

Now I tried out the DOS version of The Ultimate Doom in DOSBox .65 after that, and it works fine, but it won't fill the entire screen. I'll take a closer look at the DOSBox config file. Here's my monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116363

The only thing I don't like about it is on any resolution below 640x480, the screen is "shrunk", and it won't fill the entire screen; Is this a limitation of LCD monitors? Is there a workaround for programs where you can't change the resolution size? Just curious.

The reason I bring that up is, if I can get the DOS versions of Doom to go full-screen again, I may just re-buy those on eBay or something.

Thoughts? Opinions? Haikus? :P

My first PC games and favorite game of all-time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just use my other computer with 98se to play older games, no reason to use some DOSbox program. As for the collector's edition of the game, I've seen it buy just never picked it up. Isn't it like $10?
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I installed DoomX on my modded XBox, and I think it is the best way to play Doom from what I have played so far. IT runs at full speed with all of the proper music and sound, and has a similar control scheme to normal XBox FPSes. You can also use any WADs that you want, and pick the one you want to load up at the main menu.

Not a replacement for the DOS version, but it's F-in' cool!

Chris

Insert Coin (Level 0) lakeflaccid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: DOOM Collector's Edition vs. DOS versions

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy
    Now I tried out the DOS version of The Ultimate Doom in DOSBox .65 after that, and it works fine, but it won't fill the entire screen. I'll take a closer look at the DOSBox config file. Here's my monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824116363

The only thing I don't like about it is on any resolution below 640x480, the screen is "shrunk", and it won't fill the entire screen; Is this a limitation of LCD monitors? Is there a workaround for programs where you can't change the resolution size? Just curious.
    In dosbox.conf, try changing "fullresolution" from "original" to "1280x1024" (which is the native resolution for your monitor. And then change "output" from "surface" to either "overlay" or "opengl" or "openglnb" or "ddraw" (yes, any of those four).

It looks like the default output (surface) doesn't support scaling, but in my tests the other four seem to do scaling just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On older LCD screens, if you set a resolution lower than the native resolution, it won't fill the entire screen. I only know this because my first laptop used this type of screen, and it sucked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lakeflaccid

In dosbox.conf, try changing "fullresolution" from "original" to "1280x1024" (which is the native resolution for your monitor. And then change "output" from "surface" to either "overlay" or "opengl" or "openglnb" or "ddraw" (yes, any of those four).

It looks like the default output (surface) doesn't support scaling, but in my tests the other four seem to do scaling just fine.
    Doh. I didn't see the output line the first time I went through it. Thank you, kind sir. I wasn't sure if it was my monitor or not since I'm a LCD noob, but it's way better then my older 19" CRT I think.

I seem to have fixed my screen problem with "fullresolution" set to 640x480, "output" set to ddraw, "aspect" set to true, and scaler set to "normal2x". w00t!

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    I installed DoomX on my modded XBox, and I think it is the best way to play Doom from what I have played so far. IT runs at full speed with all of the proper music and sound, and has a similar control scheme to normal XBox FPSes. You can also use any WADs that you want, and pick the one you want to load up at the main menu.

Not a replacement for the DOS version, but it's F-in' cool!
    I did not know that. That sounds cool indeed, but like you said, it's not a replacement. Everytime I see Doom, I immediately reach for a keyboard, but the xbox controller worked great for Halo and other shooters. I've just went through Doom so many times with the good 'ol keyboard, I must have it!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    I just use my other computer with 98se to play older games, no reason to use some DOSbox program. As for the collector's edition of the game, I've seen it buy just never picked it up. Isn't it like $10?
    I was thinking of buying a legacy PC just for my old stuff, but I haven't run into a game I want to play on XP yet that I haven't gotten to work somehow, so that idea is on the back burner for me. The real test is to see how many older PC games I can't live without (read: dozens) will work on Vista. I've seen the Collector's Edition of Doom at Wally World for $9.99 in one of those small jewel case boxes, and the small-sized box version here and there at EB and Best Buy for $14.99.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank god I keep a Win98SE PC around, just because DOS can do so much with DOOM

The only thing missing in that re-release of DOOM Collector's Edition is DOOM II: The Master Levels...oh those are some really rememberable WADS by far The frustration, the challenge, and endless cussing out...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the same collectors edition and have had a lot of luck running it with ZDaemon, which is a modified version of the Doom executables. It runs under 32 bit Windows, allows for higher resolutions (optional), has better in-game menus, and has much improved networking (Internet gaming, games can be joined in-progress, etc.) It adds a few gameplay features, such as jumping and mouselook, but there are not many and those that do exist can be turned off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would think that the difference in the music would be due to the fact that your sound card is probably quite different from what was available when the game was originally released. (Or at least this new version of DOOM might be accessing it in a different way.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    I would think that the difference in the music would be due to the fact that your sound card is probably quite different from what was available when the game was originally released. (Or at least this new version of DOOM might be accessing it in a different way.)
    When I boot up the DOS versions, the original music plays in all it's glory. However, I think the Windows ports use DirectSound through DirectX, which is why it sounds different.

Meh, I may just get all 3 in the DOS big box style again like I used to have. They aren't that much on eBay from what I've been checking out.