Thread: widescreen HDTV noob questions

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default widescreen HDTV noob questions

i'm just latlely been looking more seriously into the subject of picture quality while playing games. untill about 2 weeks ago i've played all my systems through a yellow composite connection. about 2 weeks ago i found out my slightly ageing tv had a S-video jack and have been playing my PS2 through it since and have noticed quite an improved picture.

anyways. i've been looking into HDTV lately and have a few gameing related questions. i was looking at a Samsung 30" Widescreen SlimFit HDTV which seems about the best multi porpose hdtv in my price range (< 1k). now i have read in a few posts that retro gameing is still best on a non-widescreen tv. even though you can play 4:3 ratio games on a widescreen with streching or bars on the side. but i was wondering if going for widescreen was worth it in a future looking sense. i can always pick up a cheap 20'' tv with componant a/v in the future for retro gameing but are the new systems such as the 360, ps3, wii going to be mainly geared for widescreen? anouther thing is lests say the bars on the side or the streching does not bother me, in your opionion would playing a non-widescreen game look better on the tv i'm useing now (regular 4:3 aspect ratio through a S-video) or through a widescreen HDTV with componant a/v? and in a non related question will regular channels look like crap on a widescreen HDTV?

sorry for the noobish questions but a new tv is a big investment for a working class guy like myself and being a big gamer who has recently been really picking about picture quality i've found these forums to be increadibly helpful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good tv choice, I and a few others around here have the same one (though make sure you this years model, which starts with TXS, don't get the TXR).

I had the same questions you had about classic stiff before getting the tv, and honestly, it's not that big of an issue. The aspect ratio for the tv is about 1:78, which isn't incredibly wide, so non widescreen stuff like SNES, Genesis, DC, PSX etc doesn't really look that bad. And if it is a major problem for you, you can flip the tv into 4:3 mode and there is no stretching.

But yeah, go with your instinck and get WS, because everything is moving toward that anyway. 360 games are made in WS and it does make a difference. Like you said you could always get a cheapo tv for classic stuff down the road. But I suggest that if you're going to get a new tv get new tech, don't get old technology that you'll just want to replace in a few years when HD WS in the standard.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default HMmm...

Retrogaming on a HDTV is hit or miss. There is a large amount of variation in sets nowadays when used with non-HD sources. I have had good luck with picture on my HDTV's but my first set (five years ago or so) looked miserable with retro consoles). There is always a fifferent 'feel' to the games when played on an HDTV and it bothers some people.

An Xbox 360 shows immense improvement as the quality of your set increases.

Standard TV will likely look miserable unless you have digital cable.

This would be a good 'starter' set. Has good features and HDMI, good price point...bigger would be better but your limited by where you can put it...

Good Luck,
    Trebuken