Thread: Unwiring a Saturn Region Switch Mod?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unwiring a Saturn Region Switch Mod?

Okay I recently got a previously modded saturn that is said to 'only play US games' because the mod chip doesnt work or something. It has a disc access light and oval buttons.

Anyway, after replacing the battery and replacing the RF unit (due to the screen blinking) I have a new problem.

I finally just got some games to play (NiGHTS and Virtua Fighter 2) and I put the game in the system and it says it's an invalid disk. It opens up the CD playback menu and I can play the music off the cds. But I can't play the game.

Update
    I've realized it's a US/PAL/JPN region switch mod. It's a little switch wired to various jumpers on the motherboard. There were two wires that weren't connected. Is there any way to unwire all of these while retaining the US functionality of the console?

[/b]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like one or more of the wires in a region switch mod came loose. Try opening up the Saturn to see if there indeed is a loose wire. If it is, try reconnecting it. It might solve your problem.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Unwiring a Saturn Region Switch Mod?

Quote Originally Posted by mercuris
    Okay I recently got a previously modded saturn that is said to 'only play US games' because the mod chip doesnt work or something. It has a disc access light and oval buttons.

Anyway, after replacing the battery and replacing the RF unit (due to the screen blinking) I have a new problem.

I finally just got some games to play (NiGHTS and Virtua Fighter 2) and I put the game in the system and it says it's an invalid disk. It opens up the CD playback menu and I can play the music off the cds. But I can't play the game.

Update
    I've realized it's a US/PAL/JPN region switch mod. It's a little switch wired to various jumpers on the motherboard. There were two wires that weren't connected. Is there any way to unwire all of these while retaining the US functionality of the console?

[/b]
    If you want to use it for US only, remove all the wires going to the motherboard jumpers, and reconnect them in US mode according to the binary logic for US mode, dependant upon the 4 sets of jumpers, you may need to connect some jumpers up, either +5v or GND, it is likely 3 sets of jumpers will be isolated (if the original owner did the mod correctly).

A simplier thing to do would be to reconnect the loose wires to the appropriate jumpers..!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or you can add a 74157 chip to make it switchless.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried the switchless mod, and failed miserably. Now I have a few screws loose in my Saturn (and a silver thing)... any idea how to do it for a model 1 (oval buttons)?
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'll never understand why people wish to overcomplicate this mod by going the switchless route. Using a switch is far easier and more reliable (switchless is just one more IC in there to go bad) and then you just hide it on the back of the console.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    I'll never understand why people wish to overcomplicate this mod by going the switchless route. Using a switch is far easier and more reliable (switchless is just one more IC in there to go bad) and then you just hide it on the back of the console.
    A switch is just plain ugly even if it is hiding in the back. It's also much cleaner to go switchless. No need to drill a hole in your saturn case. There is less permament damage if you mess up doing the switchless method. As you can tell from the first post, the switch mod isn't as reliable as you claim. You'll have a higher chance of wearing out the switch before the ic goes bad.