Thread: dreamcast vga box or other?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default dreamcast vga box or other?

ok, i have 1 30'' widescreen hdtv (with no VGA connector) and a 19'' computer monitor. screen size isn't a huge deal with me although larger is better. what is the most cost effective way to get a great picture from my dreamcast? should i go with a S-video or componant (do they even make a componant cable for DC?) on the hdtv or just buy a VGA box and play it on the computer monitor?

i've looked into vga boxes but i hear diffrent things about quality of various ones? seeing as i've had no luck at all on finding an official sega VGA box (yhea they do apperently exsist) if the vga box is the way to go what is the most reliable 3rd party box?

i'm also aware of the mega super rbg+ thingamajig but 200+ $ is a bit more then i would like to spend right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've messed around with a handful of VGA boxes and I've never had a problem with any of them. The DreamCast does not output Component Video but you can convert the RGB signal into Component with the right box. If your large set supports Progressive Scan (and is sounds like it does) you can hook up a VGA box then follow it up with a RGB to Component Video converter.

Cherry (Level 1) eightbitonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

remember that not all DC games are compatible with VGA display. if the game does not support VGA display you'll get a text screen telling you that.

if you wanna play ALL your dreamcast games with the best possible picture you're better off to find a way of extracting good quality video signal to your HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, so a vga box (there is a particular model that is flooding ebay at the moment and i was wondering if it was reliable) will let me play on a comp monitor, but a vga box AND the audio athority device would let me play on the HDTV (yes it has progressive scan) through component? is there a quality diffrence this way? or will just directly connecting to a PC give better picture quality then if it went through a VGA to component box to the HDTV?

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's hard to say what will give a better pictures since the screens you're talking about are so different. Directly to a VGA monitor would be technically better, probably, but the VGA-to-component signal would be only very marginally worse and it would also be 42". Probably even more depends on the quality of your HDTV in this case. This a decision you have to make for yourself, I think.

As for which VGA box to get, the Sega model is indeed made of higher quality components, but all Dreamcast VGA boxes do the same thing, so it doesn't really matter which one you get. The Sega model would offer better signal shielding, I suppose, but we're only dealing with about 8 inches of cable, so it's not a big deal. Get any one you want.

...word is bondage...