Thread: 15 years of snes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 15 years of snes

http://1up.com/do/feature?cId=3152604

The 1up article is pretty bland, and certainly worse than EGM's 10 year anniversary article. I would write up a better article for my site, but I am too lazy. (anyone who wants to write one for my site is welcome to write one up).
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

It was a decent read, regardles off the fact that everything mentioned could easily be found on Wikipedia. I find it odd how the article just ends abruptly, usually one would use some kind of closing to end an article.

The only intersting thing was the mentioning of the SNES Zelda II demo, something I've never heard about.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's okay. I just wish the long war with Sega could get more elaboration, instead of spending a long huge page on Mortal Monday alone. And please, some respect for NEC.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo's biggest competitor, Sega, was a powerhouse arcade developer but had never created NES games.

I guess they never saw Shinobi, Alien Syndrome, and Afterburner on NES? Sure they were published by someone else, but Im sure Sega had legal rights to them.

Also, Mortal Kombat didn't really grab the nation's youth at first, it was Street Fighter II...and this entire Mortal Monday paragraph wasn't really needed imho....they should have focused on what made the SNES shine...not "trends of the era"...and we all know Mortal Kombat didn't get mad respect on SNES until MKII showed up.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best part of the article was the Reader Comments on the leftside of the screen. OOOO good times.

Gives me a idea, we should have our own version of it here at DP!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default mortal monda

LOL for Mortal Monday...actually at my local childhood game store the unscrupulous folks had their own little "Fatal Friday" and released the game ahead of time...if you paid in advance...and if you agreed never to tell anyone where it came from. They got my money! :)
    There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They also have the wrong release date for the U.S., which I'm sure they got from Wikipedia. The SNES launched on August 21st, 1991, not August 13th. Oh well. The mis-information continues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    They also have the wrong release date for the U.S., which I'm sure they got from Wikipedia. The SNES launched on August 21st, 1991, not August 13th. Oh well. The mis-information continues.
    I suppose if that is the case, I have another week to write up an article. Though I likely still won't do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    Nintendo's biggest competitor, Sega, was a powerhouse arcade developer but had never created NES games.

I guess they never saw Shinobi, Alien Syndrome, and Afterburner on NES? Sure they were published by someone else, but Im sure Sega had legal rights to them.
    Well, I wouldn't put it past them to miss that point. But technically they're right; Sega never created NES games, a point which is so fucking obvious as to hardly warrant being pointed out.

It would be more informative to say that Sega farmed out their franchises to outside developers.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree Ed, but perhaps they should have pointed out why, Sega didn't make any games for NES. When Nintendo had the policy of "You make games for us or nobody" during the NES reign. While they held the market at 90%, only three companies shared the 10% of publishers, such as Atari, Mattel, and Sega. Instead of saying "Bad Sega! you no make game for NES!" they should say "Oh yea, did we mention Nintendo pimped the market when it came to using publishers like hookers and then threatening them when they tried to leave to work for another?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry for going off topic here, but in reguards to the Sega titles that Tengen published in the U.S., I believe they were all ported to the Famicom by Sunsoft. So it's pretty much a moot point on Sega giving the NES support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres still no real proof that it is August 21st

Those articles that were in the snes launch thread just really say it was released earlier than September 9th which we all knew anyway but to say it's impossible for it to be earlier than August 21st is annoying.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regardless of the date it was released, I plan on writing an article about the 15th year anniversary of the snes for Snes Central. If you want, you can send favourite memories, comments on games, or other things to me at snes_central@yahoo.ca for my article. I want to write it next weekend, so I guess send me commentary by Friday. Hopefully I will be able to do a better job than 1up.com.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="Lothars"]
    Theres still no real proof that it is August 21st

Those articles that were in the snes launch thread just really say it was released earlier than September 9th which we all knew anyway but to say it's impossible for it to be earlier than August 21st is annoying.

You've got to be fricking kidding me, right? God, what is up with the refusal to understand that the Super Nintendo released in the United States on Wednesday, August 21st, 1991?

Here are some known facts to consider:

1. The November 1991 issue of EGM states that the Super Nintendo first began arriving in stores on Friday, August 23rd, 1991.

2. The Orange County Register - Ron Campbell - 27 August 1991 - "Last weekend, months after video-game addicts started calling, Dave Adams finally was able to sell them what they craved: Super Nintendo. Adams, manager of Babbages in South Coast Plaza, got 32 of the $199.95 systems Friday. By Monday afternoon he had five left. "

3. The Orange County Register - Ron Campbell- 27 August 1991 - Super Nintendo began showing up in Southern California stores Wednesday, nearly three weeks before the official Sept. 9 release date. "The people that really wanted to get it right away knew it was out," Adams said. "People have been calling for months on this thing." The Toys R Us store in Cerritos got 80 on Wednesday and was down to a handful Monday afternoon, a store spokeswoman said.

4. Hypnotuba posts: "Who knows why I'm bothering with this in the middle of the day, but I figured I'd do a quick check of Usenet posts from August 1991 to see when the SNES was released. I don't even care, but, it's a trivia bit that's stuck in my head.

Here's one that is about it being available on August 22:

http://tinyurl.com/h2gxq

Here's another post from August 24th about its availability at Toys R Us:
    http://tinyurl.com/mq922

5. I myself purchased my Super Nintendo on Sunday, August 25th, 1991, the first day I know of any retailer having it available in Sacramento, California

Ok, those are the 5 facts that I have that support a scenario in which SNES systems "FIRST" started arriving on Wednesday, August 21st, 1991. Now, some of these facts suggest that the SNES arrived on the 23rd, or the 22nd, or the 24th, or the 25th, but you can clearly see a patern that the facts support that the SNES first started arriving around the 23rd, and it appears, based on the evidence that the first retail locations started getting them in as early as August 21st.

The only fact that you can try to bring up, is the fact that Wikipedia says that it came out on August 13th, 1991, but you also must be aware of the fact that Wikipedia get's it's info from users, and they aren't necessarily correct. If somebody can find me some "real", "factual", information that suggests the SNES was available for sale in the U.S. prior to 8/21/91, I'd love to see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    While they held the market at 90%, only three companies shared the 10% of publishers, such as Atari, Mattel, and Sega.
    Mattel wasn't in the videogame business anymore. The Intellivision was then being handled by INTV, or whatever they were called. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, excuse my junior modding here, but do we really need to bring "the real SNES release date" debate to another thread? Geez...

Back on topic, 1up's article was okay, but definitely lacking. It didn't mention anything about the model 2 console, and I would have liked to see a page dedicated to the best games (or at least the ones that played a big role towards making gaming what it is today). And what about the debut of the Player's Choice program?

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.