Thread: Nintendo DS on TV?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Nintendo DS on TV?

http://www.giftsandhome.globalsource...1001954796.htm

http://www.giftsandhome.globalsource...1002126576.htm

Of course, these would be much better if the TV was touch screen capable, or even on something like a tablet PC. But anyway, who sells these?!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0) NickmasterX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't use the DS as a controller? I'm assuming that's what you would use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

While the first link is very appealing, I don't mind using the DS screens. If anything the TV adapter would take more than it would give, since you'll more than likely be looking at the actual touch screen for accuracy sakes.

Now if they only made one for the PSP, that's something I would buy.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I am really hoping for a high-quality product that does something like this, the right way. I think Nintendo will do it with the Wiimote's tilt functionality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You can't use the DS as a controller? I'm assuming that's what you would use.
    Yes, that's exactly what you do.

Now if they only made one for the PSP, that's something I would buy.
    Well, they do. There's 2 models that fit over the screen and convert the image to a digital signal, and then there's the one that you take off the back and put a new back on with the connectors going to the approproate points on the motherboard. It's a standard RCA or Svideo out from there, iirc. With that one, you can even connect a PS2 controller to it.

I am really hoping for a high-quality product that does something like this, the right way. I think Nintendo will do it with the Wiimote's tilt functionality
    That would be interesting...a DS player for Wii like the GBA player for GC. A suppose a little cursor could appear on screen to show where your stylus would land. Someone has to hack an emulator together for that if Big N doesn't!!

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose a little cursor could appear on screen to show where your stylus would land. Someone has to hack an emulator together for that if Big N doesn't!!

-Rob
    While that would be fine for some games, many DS games require very fast and precise stylus work that couldn't be done with a "point and click" interface.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm... I really don't get this at all! What, exactly, is the point? The DS Lite is already equipped with a pair of beautiful screens. And, surely, the image would look horrible blown up on a big TV or monitor. Not to mention that any touch screen games would be totally unplayable, in my opinion.

I'd hate to think how much they're charging for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hmm... I really don't get this at all! What, exactly, is the point? The DS Lite is already equipped with a pair of beautiful screens. And, surely, the image would look horrible blown up on a big TV or monitor. Not to mention that any touch screen games would be totally unplayable, in my opinion.

I'd hate to think how much they're charging for this.

True. It could be useful for some games that don't use the stylus or touch screen much or at all.

As for games that need precision stylus work, look down and use the stylus, or don't use the TV adapter! If this were done via a Wii DS Player, I think the precision stylus work could be accomodated with proper cursor handling.

The point is, the adapter would be really cool for a lot of games.

-Rob

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LoL Unless you stack two TVs on top of each other ghetto-style and somehow magically turn the bottom TV into a touch screen, the Rom whores and big screen DSPlayer will be locked out.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

LoL Unless you stack two TVs on top of each other ghetto-style and somehow magically turn the bottom TV into a touch screen, the Rom whores and big screen DSPlayer will be locked out.
    What? Did you read the thread? There were suggestions to overcome this. Besides, both screens can fit on one monitor/TV. An option to lay the screen on its side would be nice, though.

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While there are a few DS games I would like to see and share on the big screen (NSMB, Brain Age, Mario Kart) it is true that they would look awfully pixellated. In fact, the psp version of this same tool has severe loss of detail, lag, and light-seal issues for the camera. I would think that all those would be as bad, or worse, on the DS model.
    Mekka-lekka hi, mekka-hinney-hoh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have handhelds for portability, not sitting infront of a TV; that's what consules are for. Just like how you won't see me playing my nomad on a TV.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

While there are a few DS games I would like to see and share on the big screen (NSMB, Brain Age, Mario Kart) it is true that they would look awfully pixellated. In fact, the psp version of this same tool has severe loss of detail, lag, and light-seal issues for the camera. I would think that all those would be as bad, or worse, on the DS model.
    Yeah, but what about the non-camera one...the one that hooks into the motherboard>

I have handhelds for portability, not sitting infront of a TV; that's what consules are for. Just like how you won't see me playing my nomad on a TV.
    Fine, but I like the OPTION. I don't like being restricted to a little screen if I don't have to or want to. Other times, portable is much more favorable. Are you saying you've never played a handheld game that you rathered was playable on the big screen, at least sometimes playable on the big screen?

Oh, and if you've ever played a Sega Genesis or Mega Drive, you DID play Nomad on a TV.

-Rob