Thread: Your opinion about Gain Ground? (Genesis game)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Your opinion about Gain Ground? (Genesis game)

Well..Ive heard lots of comments about this game. Some very good and others very bad.

I tried to play it but lost interest within 3 minutes...whats so cool about this game? Someone please tell me!

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Haven't got around to it yet but GameFan loved it. In 2000 or so they ran a cool graveyard section to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's actually one of my favorite Genesis games. Basically it looks like a top down shooter but is more of a strategy game. There's 30 characters in all, all of which have different attacks. Some you need to shoot over walls, others have really long range etc. So you have to have a plan of attack for most levels to get through, but there's also a time limit so you have to be quick. You unlock more characters by finding them in the stage and dragging them to the other end without getting killed. Stage ends when you get all your characters to safety or kill all the enemies in the stage. Hard to get into but once you get the hang of it a really fun game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a great game, but unfortunately, no port can and will never do it justice. The Genesis one is about as close as it gets, and isn't bad. The arcade version runs on System24 hardware, and only runs in 22khz mode. Most monitors don't handle this, but some do. Consoles, of course, don't output in this mode.

There's another port, on the PC-Engine entitled Gan Ground SX. Stage for stage it's the same game, but instead of the bars on the side of the screen it scrolls. Gives you bigger sprites, but kind of takes away a dynamic from the original.

Finally, there's the Sega Ages 2500 version, which is a 3D remake. It's actually not bad.

It is MAME'ed, but due to the mid-range frequency, it's heavily matted, even when played in TATE mode. It's unfortunately the closest you can get to the original, other than shelling out for the PCB (very expensive, FYI) and a 22khz monitor.

EDIT:
    HERE is a translation w/ one of the original programmers (arcade version).
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That would explain why I'm having such a hard time tracking down an original arcade cab.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gain Ground is awesome. Like Ikari Warriors mixed with chess...or something. I really liked the Sega Ages version of it and hope to one day see it wind up on a Sega Classics Collection disc so that more people can get exposed to it.

Seriously, we got Golden Axe instead of Gain Ground?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Roushimsx: Dude, there's just been a new Sega collection disc announced, and yes, it has GG on it. Check it out!

Anyway, I got out my MD Gain Ground a while back, have been too busy with other games (Monster World III and Contra The Hard Corps, specifically) to have tried it out quite yet.

I was pretty happy with Gain Ground SX when I first got it, but it's missing something...It's pretty slow. It's worth pointing out that it's part of a series of ports; the other entry in that 'series' that I own is Horror Story, which sport a similar funky soundtrack.

Anybody want me to rip it? Worth a listen (at least for a laugh).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really enjoyed the Game it just took me a bit to understand what was going on with the different characters. Its good stuff and even better with a friend.
    Speed Kills but Strength Punishes

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's also an MSX2 version of it, and it's also built into the Sega Sonic 6-in-1 Plug 'n' Play 2.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    It's a great game, but unfortunately, no port can and will never do it justice. The Genesis one is about as close as it gets, and isn't bad. The arcade version runs on System24 hardware, and only runs in 22khz mode. Most monitors don't handle this, but some do. Consoles, of course, don't output in this mode.

There's another port, on the PC-Engine entitled Gan Ground SX. Stage for stage it's the same game, but instead of the bars on the side of the screen it scrolls. Gives you bigger sprites, but kind of takes away a dynamic from the original.

Finally, there's the Sega Ages 2500 version, which is a 3D remake. It's actually not bad.

It is MAME'ed, but due to the mid-range frequency, it's heavily matted, even when played in TATE mode. It's unfortunately the closest you can get to the original, other than shelling out for the PCB (very expensive, FYI) and a 22khz monitor.

EDIT:
    HERE is a translation w/ one of the original programmers (arcade version).
    WOW, that was a really great article. Seeing electroplasma caterpillars? I can only imagine what that trip must be like!

As for GG, I absolutely love my Genesis port of it. It was always one of my best friend and I's favorite games. We frequently played it together, and he had to get a copy of it for himself so he could play it alone too. I introduced him to it and got him as hooked on it as I was. We loved it!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    pony0ne

Gain Ground is awesome, but if you can, make sure to grab a friend. I can see it getting a little boring alone, but with a second player, it's fun.

My nephew and I tackled it last year. The end boss is seriously one of the hardest bosses around, because of his cheap ass timed missiles and how slow most of your characters go.

It took us awhile, but we destroyed him.

There's some strategy in the game as well (do you beat the level fast or stick around and pick up some extra troops?)

Good game. Great Genesis game.
    gamertag: pony0ne
    Wii friend: 6437 2281 7665 7241
    http://youtube.com/patrolskies - Patrol The Skies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default gain ground is the bomb

Gain Ground is the bomb, espically 2 player. Hell, I even like the SMS version.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I first played this on an emulator and was blown away. It was one of those gems that I'd never heard of.

Like:

North vs. South
    Crash n' the Boys Street
    Sky kid

I was waiting for somone to start talking about it, it really is a fantastic game.

Has anyone beaten it btw?
    *Insert famous Towlie quote here*