Thread: Anyone here have a complete Vic-20 set?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone here have a complete Vic-20 set?

Since I recently re-started my Vic-20 collection, I am up to about 60 carts, some boxed..like my precious Xonox double enders I know (at least from the DP list) that there are a total of 168 US releases. Who, if anyone, has them all? If not all, how many do you have in total? Just curious as to others states of cart collections on this oldie..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm at......

Currently I'm at 77 programs for the VIC-20....by the way, the VIC is my favorite Classic Computer ,just love those graphics !!! The Keeper
    The Gaming Guy...you know...that guy!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Think I have about 7 or 8, the same ones I had as a kid. I have yet to see any vic-20 games in my shopping at stores or at garage sales.
    I would love to play them again most i have are text adventures and in order to use the space bar on my vic you have to hit it with you fist so I stop playing them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The vic is alright.. I remember one friend with a vic-20 while everyone had c64's.. I have come across more vic-20's complete boxed with tapes lately though.. must have been popular but I didn't see this in my youth
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the Vic's graphics as well I don't know what it is about it. The colors...how much they were able to accomplish...all that good stuff. The text adventures are some of my favorites! Get another Vic with a working spacebar! I really don't see anything at yard sales for the system around here anymore. Nor do I see anything at some classic gaming shops I know of. I guess the only alternative now for me at least is to go through ebay and trades right here at DP. I have done pretty well so far with both, so I am content I am already aboiut 1/3 to my goal of a complete collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raedon
    The vic is alright.. I remember one friend with a vic-20 while everyone had c64's.. I have come across more vic-20's complete boxed with tapes lately though.. must have been popular but I didn't see this in my youth
    When I orginally purchased it, it was VERY popular. I remember seeing the computer and games pretty much everywhere I went, commercials...the whole nine yards. Then the C64 came along and the Vic got pretty much neglected. THey lowered the price to I believe $79.99 (from an original $299.99) at Toy's R US and Child World when I last saw a Vic-20 for sale on store shelves. Then it was gone, and the carts were selling for $1-$5 brand new sealed at the same places. As a matter of fact I went to an Electronics Boutique a few years later and still found some sealed Vic games (Imagic titles) mixed in with the bargain junk. I have alot of memories from this era and this computer....as well as the C64 (I was a C64 nut from the moment it was released till..well...now!) but I always had a place in my heart for this classic. So many people I talk to don't even know what it is about, and that truly is a shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

almost a complete domestic Vic-20 collection... still working on better condition labels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-20
    almost a complete domestic Vic-20 collection... still working on better condition labels.
    Cool man! Ok, since you have a nice collection, and are probably more aware to this than I am, what is the deal with the brown/metal label variants? I have a Gorf cart for example that is the normal off-white, with off white label. Then I have another that is a dark brown cart, with a metal (real metal!) label that actually isn't a label at all. Just a metal slab on the cover of the cart with a "Gorf" sticker on it. SOme others I have (Like Alien) have the metal cover with the game name actually printed on it. Any idea about why these variants came about? Does rarity/value play a part when it comes to these?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember my friends making fun of me cause I had a Vic-20. But then I got my 128 oh the joy I felt. I even used to make them feel more at home by going into 64 mode for them. I think I will look for a new Vic wouldn't mind play again.

Side note. Can you still buy 5 1/4 floppys?
    And is anyone willing to start copying there 64/128 game collections?

Every time I find a C64 game it has a nice fold mark right across the middle.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have 37 carts. I can never find VIC-20 stuff in the wild and I don't find buying stuff off eBay to be much fun at all, so it's all up to the trades. Fortunately, though my collection is small I've got a few rarities (Tomarc the Barbarian/Motocross Racer, Galaxian, Spider City to name three).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a commadore64 that's older than me, it was my mothers first and it was my first taste of computers, and probably what me hooked on them.

I had this book, about how to write yoiur own games... I made a jet boat one, and one about a logger climbing a tree with a bird on top throwing shit at him...

I have only ONE store bought floppy disk game, well 4 really, there's 4 on the disk. All the others the local librarian copied for me from the games they had there...I have 1 disk with about 100 games... how could so many c64 titles fit on one 360k/720k floppy disk??? especially when Carmen Sandiego uses TWO disks!!!

oh, and by the way mine's a LUGGABLE!
    Cool I think... the original "computer on the go"... I guess airlines weren't so tight about the wieght of your luggage in the late 70s early 80s.

the only thing that sucks, is I HAVE to use it on the tiny screen that's part of the luggable, there's a port on there that supposedly lets you connect it to a normal TV for use... is this what it does? I assume so... my friend uses his tandy monitor as a TV, so I assume the old mointors are the same as tvs and they work the same way... but does anyone know where I could find a cable to connect it to a TV?

Alex Kidd
    The Weed Of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit You Old Hag!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have the original VIC-20 my parents bought when it first came out. I've only got about 12 cartridges for it but all are boxed which is cool. I also aquired 2 more VICs with the carts I found. Thrift store bundles, heh heh. Do I really need another VIC just to get the 5 carts I don't have? ah what the hell.

The C64 was my first computer, had a ton of stuff for that but all disks. I didn't get any carts till recently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    I only have 37 carts. I can never find VIC-20 stuff in the wild and I don't find buying stuff off eBay to be much fun at all, so it's all up to the trades. Fortunately, though my collection is small I've got a few rarities (Tomarc the Barbarian/Motocross Racer, Galaxian, Spider City to name three).
    I just got a Tomarc/Motocross boxed as well as a Artillary Duel/Chuck Norris boxed. They are very hard to find! I actually got these on Ebay along with 14 other boxed titles (some more rarities) for $35. Not bad at all. COnsidering they all had directions and catalogs...even the Sega Star Trek I got came with the overlay for a standard joystick! Still looking for Galaxian however. How is the gameplay compared to Commodore's unlincensed "Star Battle"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd
    I have a commadore64 that's older than me, it was my mothers first and it was my first taste of computers, and probably what me hooked on them.

I had this book, about how to write yoiur own games... I made a jet boat one, and one about a logger climbing a tree with a bird on top throwing shit at him...

I have only ONE store bought floppy disk game, well 4 really, there's 4 on the disk. All the others the local librarian copied for me from the games they had there...I have 1 disk with about 100 games... how could so many c64 titles fit on one 360k/720k floppy disk??? especially when Carmen Sandiego uses TWO disks!!!

oh, and by the way mine's a LUGGABLE!
    Cool I think... the original "computer on the go"... I guess airlines weren't so tight about the wieght of your luggage in the late 70s early 80s.

the only thing that sucks, is I HAVE to use it on the tiny screen that's part of the luggable, there's a port on there that supposedly lets you connect it to a normal TV for use... is this what it does? I assume so... my friend uses his tandy monitor as a TV, so I assume the old mointors are the same as tvs and they work the same way... but does anyone know where I could find a cable to connect it to a TV?

Alex Kidd

Ohh...you are talking about the 64DX (I believe it was called)..the semi-portable with the small screen? Thats a cool thing to have man. Wonder how the hell they expected executives to carry that monstrosity around EItehr way, it is definitely a great collectable.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    Still looking for Galaxian however. How is the gameplay compared to Commodore's unlincensed "Star Battle"?
    It's about the same actually. I got lucky on the "Galaxian", got it with a huge bundle of Vic20 carts won on eBay. I've seen far more "Star Battle" carts about, especially here in the UK. I think the "Galaxian" cart I have (complete too!) is the only one I've spotted! I also recently managed to get 2 Vic20 Xonox double enders new and shrinked off eBay for $34 total...

As for 64DX... if it had 2 disc drives, that's what it would be (plus a slightly different ROM set). If it just had one drive, it would be a SX64. They are not that hard to find in US (always at least 2-3 on eBay) but pretty tricky to get in the UK (where they are worth about $150 all working)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got lucky myself and ended up scoring a Galaxian with a lot of vic games as well! It's cart only, but what the hell. At least I ended up finding it. This must have been the last Atarisoft made title for the Vic. I never see it anywhere.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Not surprisingly this is why it's an 8 in the guide...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, which Xonox double enders did you end up scoring? Sealed as well? You made out awesomely. The two Xonox double enders I got were not sealed, but look to be brand new. Like all they did was remove the shrinkwrap and leave it alone or something. The two I got were the only Vic Xonox carts I have ever seen. For those who know what Vic carts look like, imagine a double ender! It's like a mini pancake!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

They had both been opened just at one end to get the cart out, but the shrink was still on all over the box, if you get my meaning.

The two double enders were Chuck Norris Superkicks/Artillery Duel and Sir Lancelot/Robin Hood. I already had a loose Ghost Manor/Spike's Peak, so not doing too badly on the Xonox stuff so far...