Thread: Wii launch games "not" designed on Cube dev kits?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii launch games "not" designed on Cube dev kits?

I saw the list of the 27 games, "supposedly" confirmed for launch in the other thread, and to be quite honest, I don't know much about alot of those games. I haven't seen previews or trailers or anything, on a lot of them. So I've been going down the list, trying to figure out what the deal is behind the various games listed, and so far, all the ones I've looked at have been games that either were direct ports of a GameCube game, or a game that was designed for the Wii, except that it was designed on a GameCube dev kit. It appears that attempts are being made to enhance alot of the games, some with 480p and widescreen or various special effects, but so far none of the games I've looked at, were actually designed with a Nintendo Wii development system. I'm not even sure if Wii Sports or Metroid was designed on a Wii development system, and those are Nintendo games. Did Nintendo just finalize the Wii dev kits like yesterday, or what's the deal?

In a recent issue of Play magazine, Dave Halverson commented that Mario Galaxy was the first Wii game that was actually designed for the Wii from the ground up, and is maybe the first Wii game actually being designed on a Wii dev kit. Part of the reason why it was delayed into 2007. Why did Nintendo just finish the Wii development kit just now? Don't they think that all these ports will give consumers a bad first impression? I know that the Wii is all about fun and simplicity and not graphics and stuff like that, but you still don't want your games looking exactly like GameCube games. You want there to be an obvious difference. I guess we are going to have to give Nintendo and the 3rd parties a pass for these launch games, but by mid 2007, we better start seeing some "true" Wii games, built 100 percent from the ground up around the Wii's strong points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

I guess I'm not at the point where Gamecube games look "bad" to me yet. I have no doubt the the 2nd and 3rd wave of games are going to look pretty sweet but honestly, I don't really care that much.

And you have to remember that most companies are just trying to get the controls right for these first batches of games. Once they get that stuff nailed down I think that we'll see games that not only have tight controls but also sweet graphics.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Wii games look like RE4 and Zelda Twilight Princess, that will suit me just fine.

But it does seem odd, if that is true.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm fine with it~ RE4 did look very good~

Just because a few games were being developed on a cube doesn't mean they didn't have the Wii Specs in mind for when they did get Wii Kits (Day after E3 i think). I'm sure most of the games are being optimized for Wii specs now before launch~

But like it was said. 2nd and 3rd generation games will be killer~
    "That's the way game chasing go~"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just an update: Shortly after doing this post, I did some searches on the net for Wii gameplay trailers of various games, and I must say that the Wii games don't look as current Gen as I first thought they were. They certainly don't look like PS3 or 360 games, but they don't look like total ass either.

Still, I'm going to go into Wii gaming with a cautious approach, and pretty much just rent a ton of Wii games, and if something abosolutely blows my mind, then I might buy it.