Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitfall II (5200 version) perfect score!

Insert Coin (Level 0) the 5th ghost's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pitfall II (5200 version) perfect score!

After many failed attempts, I finally did it! A perfect score on Pitfall II for the Atari 5200...504,000 points!

As you may know, the 5200 version has a second maze that you enter, once you've completed the first maze and captured Quickclaw.

The perfect score in the first maze is 199,000 points. This score will always be displayed at the top left of the screen. Once you begin the second maze, a second score is displayed at the top right of the screen (starting at 199,000)

From that point, as you accumulate points, those points are added to the new score. The second maze has a maximum of 305,000 points. Thus, a perfect score will end up 504,000 points, the total scores of both mazes.

The second maze is very difficult to complete without losing points. The route is not as straightforward as the first maze, and took me awhile to determine where everything was, and then to find the best route to get everything, minimizing the risks.

Also, there are different, and more difficult, enemies to deal with. The ones that got me the most were the jumping frogs that follow you across the screen. Also, most of the treasures are guarded by the creatures, so you have to deal with one of them just about every time you find a treasure!

As for time, there is no built in game clock, but the timer on my VCR indicated that it took me 11:43 to reach Quickclaw in the first maze, and 21:38 to reach the "Rope Charmer" in the second maze. So in all, the game took 33 minutes and 21 seconds to complete.

I'm curious to know how many other people have maxxed the score in this one? One thing is for sure, when I last spoke to Todd Rogers about it, he admitted that he has not done it!

Here's the screenshot that I posted on AtariAge, where I originally posted about my quest to max this one.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...=post&id=58929

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty impressive, I suck at that game royally, I'd imagine that'd raise some commotion on atariage.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap, and CONGRATURATION!

Nice jorb! I haven't played that game in about 10 years, but one thing's for sure: I could play it for another 10 and never come close to getting a perfect score.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Insert Coin (Level 0) atari_wizard's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on the high score. I've gotten a perfect score on the 5200, but not the second quest. I recently picked up the Atari 5200 Redemption Adapter, that I got from Atari Age, which makes my life much easier. I wish I knew where to go on the lost levels, as I get lost very easily. Is there a way you could host the video? I would love to see which route you take...If you don't want to, I understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    Do you plan on getting perfect Pitfall games on all the other platforms as well?
    To tell you the truth, they are easier. I've beaten the 2600 & Colecovision with perfect scores on many occasions. I wish they had the lost levels on them as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atari_wizard
    Congrats on the high score. I've gotten a perfect score on the 5200, but not the second quest. I recently picked up the Atari 5200 Redemption Adapter, that I got from Atari Age, which makes my life much easier. I wish I knew where to go on the lost levels, as I get lost very easily. Is there a way you could host the video? I would love to see which route you take...If you don't want to, I understand why.

Do you plan on getting perfect Pitfall games on all the other platforms as well?
    To tell you the truth, they are easier. I've beaten the 2600 & Colecovision with perfect scores on many occasions. I wish they had the lost levels on them as well.
    Thanks everyone!

I'd be happy to share the video of the Pitfall II game so that you can see the route I used. Also, you'll see the different strategies I use to deal with the tricky spots. This took a lot of trial and error to figure out the best way, for me at least. I'm sure someone else could come up with a different route.

I would like to get perfect scores for both Pitfall! and Pitfall II for every platform they were released on, but I do not have an Atari 400, no Colecovision, and no Intellevision.

I used to have an INTY II and the Pitfall game to go with it, but I sold my entire INTY collection long ago before I had a chance to record a game. I just didn't have that fire back then to do this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very very impressive. I was always under the impression that you had no choice but to lose some points; I thought there were some places where you had to fall down somewhere with no ladder alternative. Kudos! I've always been impressed with the second quest. I never knew what those fast animals were that zip back and forth across the screen--some kind of insect? You're right, those frogs are the worst, but the piranhas are a very close second--they're a bit random (you can't tell if they're going to double back or wrap around). The crazy bats are much easier than they might seem at first. And the tiny ledges really take a lot of doing to get the timing right.

Stonic--many thanks for the link to the extremely well-done and cool map. I remember making my own map of this way back in 1992 or 93, on a sheet of poster board. I felt a sense of accomplishment after getting that one done. I remember that night specifically because I was listening to the first two Asia cassettes (Asia, Alpha) and sitting cross legged "Indian Style" for four hours straight as I mapped it. When I finally got up I had horrible shooting lower back pain that didn't go away for days and all but incapacitated me. Not fun.

That's my video game-related injury story. Good times.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k8track
    Very very impressive. I was always under the impression that you had no choice but to lose some points; I thought there were some places where you had to fall down somewhere with no ladder alternative. Kudos!
    There was a map posted on AtariAge done by someone, but they forgot to include one ladder. As a result, they thought that a perfect score was impossible as well. They also left one gold bar out. It's a very well done map, just needs two revisions

The quick moving insects are Fire Ants, I think. There not too bad once you get the timing down.

Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, that takes a lot of dedication, kudos to you. I only tried the second quest one time, and I did it on an 800 so I could use the 2600 joystick. Didn't get very far though.

Kudos also on the boxed Sears 2600 games. I wouldn't mind seeing a full picture of those!
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Very impressive accomplishment. I haven't played the 2nd quest much, but now I have some motivation to explore it a little further. Either way, you da man

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Now for Super Pitfall (there's two quests, iirc) and the Arcade version of Pitfall II!!!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan
    Wow, that takes a lot of dedication, kudos to you. I only tried the second quest one time, and I did it on an 800 so I could use the 2600 joystick. Didn't get very far though.

Kudos also on the boxed Sears 2600 games. I wouldn't mind seeing a full picture of those!
    Thanks! I can accomodate your request to see all the boxed Sears games in my collection. I've got em all

I just have to figure out how to show them here, without having to link another site. Stonic has hosted pix for me before, but I'd hate to ask him since it would take a few pix to see the Sears stuff.

I could email em to you at least!

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Awesome!!!...Congrats!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doug's pics of his Sears Tele-Games collection:

What a nice collection. Good job on getting all those, makes me want to finish mine now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a nice collection. Good job on getting all those, makes me want to finish mine now.
    Thanks!

3 guesses as to which Sears game was the last one for me to find boxed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the 5th ghost
    Thanks!

I'm sure one of these, right?

Canyon Bomber pic
    Night Driver Pic
    Submarine Pic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the 5th ghost

Thanks!

Cannon Man or Superman, right?

I very very stupidly passed up a boxed Cannon Man about 7 years ago at a pawn shop.

Stupid! Stupid!! Stupid!!! (Bangs head against wall)
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, none of those.

I'll give you a hint:

The first boxed Sears game I aquired was Math in the gatefold box.

The Submarine Commander, I found at a local thrift store CIB for $3 It was one of the earliest boxed Sears games in my collection

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Dude, you've got to stop inspiring me to play these games. I don't have enough time!

Congrats man! I personally think this is even cooler than your Pitfall! accomplishment, as I've always liked the sequel better.

(Unfortunately for me, back in the day I had a pirate version of it (for my Atari 400) which froze on me after what seemed like a random amount of time, so I never did finish anything more than the first quest. Today, of course, I have a complete version I can play over my SIO2PC cable, plus the cartridge itself to boot. What a difference 20 years makes! )
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Twin Galaxies has made it official!

http://www.twingalaxies.com/
    Last edited by the 5th ghost; 03-31-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Stonic took the words right outta my mouth.... Double kudos for a perfect game, on the 5200's notorius controllers.