Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Saturn Wipeout XL

(split from SOTN thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Sigh...I really should butt out of these topics 'cuz I've yet to play the Saturn version. But from what I've heard from those who have it, not owning it isn't much of a loss.
    I'll second that. I've never played it but I've steered clear...I've heard it's really disappointing.

I have played Wipeout XL on the Saturn and it absolutely stinks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    Sigh...I really should butt out of these topics 'cuz I've yet to play the Saturn version. But from what I've heard from those who have it, not owning it isn't much of a loss.
    I'll second that. I've never played it but I've steered clear...I've heard it's really disappointing.

Was XL on Saturn? I thought the first Wipeout was the only port.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RCM

Wipeout XL was released in Japan. We got the first one which I don't think I've played...but if it has the same issues as XL I don't want to. I brought it up since it's the Japan only version of a popular PSX game. Typically those games (ie Thunderforce 5 and X-Men vs. SF) are better, not worse than the PSX version. Although that's debatable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM

Wipeout XL was released in Japan. We got the first one which I don't think I've played...but if it has the same issues as XL I don't want to. I brought it up since it's the Japan only version of a popular PSX game. Typically those games (ie Thunderforce 5 and X-Men vs. SF) are better, not worse than the PSX version. Although that's debatable.
    The first Wipeout was pretty damn good on Saturn. What's wrong with XL? I know Destruction Derby for Saturn turned out pretty crappy, but the rest of the Psygnosis ports that I've played -- Discworld, Assault Rigs, 3D Lemmings, etc. -- were all good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor

The first Wipeout was pretty damn good on Saturn. What's wrong with XL?
    The graphics are horrendous. Pop up usually doesn't bother me, but it has the worst I've ever seen. No vapor trails. Different soundtrack than the PSX version (it's more like the music for the first Wipeout).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The graphics are horrendous. Pop up usually doesn't bother me, but it has the worst I've ever seen. No vapor trails. Different soundtrack than the PSX version (it's more like the music for the first Wipeout).
    Hmmm... I thought it looked really nice and played quite well. Much better than the first, anyway. I'll have to pull out the PSone original and compare.

By the way... this was also released in PAL format as Wipeout 2097 (instead of XL.) I think it's one of the higher-priced PAL Saturn games.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich

Hmmm... I thought it looked really nice and played quite well. Much better than the first, anyway. I'll have to pull out the PSone original and compare.

By the way... this was also released in PAL format as Wipeout 2097 (instead of XL.) I think it's one of the higher-priced PAL Saturn games.

The PAL version probably got the good soundtrack.

Are you sure you're thinking of the Japan version of XL? It is utterly bad beyond a matter of personal taste. IMO.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    The PAL version probably got the good soundtrack.

Are you sure you're thinking of the Japan version of XL? It is utterly bad beyond a matter of personal taste. IMO.

7 years late but i finally got around to playing both ps and Saturn versions of xl and while agree the ps version is superior (this comes down to a far superior soundtrack, cold storage once again does the Saturn and pc soundtrack) in no way is the Saturn version unplayable or broken beyond belief

The soundtrack isn't As varied or good as the ps, but its still a good edm soundtrack, explosions are sprite based however and those do indeed look fucking ugly but everything else is an exaggeration. There are no transparencies and i think no real time lighting either, but you really wouldn't notice unless you viewed them side by side

Wipeout xl on Saturn, if you can get your hands on it is totally worth the money, plus i much prefer the Saturn pad to the ps1 pad, you can even use the Saturn analog pad if you want on this

2015 NINJA EDIT: Just played the 2 side by side and wanted to add the ps version runs much much smoother as it has a higher refresh rate, I believe it runs at a smooth 30fps while the saturn runs at a locked 20 or 25. The saturn version does run faster ironically. Like real noticeably faster. The saturn for whatever reason is darker than the ps1 version even tho most everywhere I read they claim the exact opposite and I believe you slow down a lot more if you crash into walls in the saturn version, might be the ps1 version im thinking of tho
    Last edited by LaughingMAN.S9; 02-22-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Saturn version has analog controls with the 3D Controller, which is common, while on PS1 you need to have either a neGcon, wheel (not recommended for Wipeout), or Performance Dual Impact Gamepad (pad which has digital, neGcon and Dual Shock modes) in order to play the game in analog... and the game is a lot better with analog controls, as usual in a racing game. That's one plus for the Saturn version, unless you have one of those controllers for the PS1. When I got a Performance Dual Impact Gamepad, Wipeout XL got so much more fun that it almost feels like a different game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post

Wipeout xl on Saturn, if you can get your hands on it is totally worth the money, plus i much prefer the Saturn pad to the ps1 pad, you can even use the Saturn analog pad if you want on this
    I agree. It's a solid game, I've owned it for many years.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, that's good to know, I've been on the fence about this one.