Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Refuse To Buy Classic Games Online?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy

Man, that's nice. Less then $2? Wow. My favorite game of all-time, by the way.

Nice find on Shining Force CD too.
    I must rescind that comment, I got those 15 games and a beautiful SNES with everything for $70, so I depends on how you do the math.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Default Re: Anyone Else Refuse To Buy Classic Games Online?

I see buying online as being pretty much the same thing as finding it in the wild, although I don't just go to eBay when I get the itch, I pick my spots.

For example, the last console I wanted for my collection is a 5200. I've *never* seen one for sale here in Toronto. I haven't combed thrifts or pawn shops for it or anything, I've just never come across it.

When someone on this site casually mentioned they had one for sale (but doubted anyone would pay for shipping) I jumped at the chance and bought it.

I still had the thrill of the hunt, as I've been wanting a 5200 for quite a few years now, and I finally had a chance to purchase one (and from someone I trusted to boot).

I find the hunting aspect you mentioned is much more a part of my modern gaming purchases. I'd never buy a PS2 game online, as I enjoy hunting my local shops for the Baldur's Gate IIs and Gradius III & IVs (both of which I hunted for over a year for, and finally got).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never bought anything online and don't plan to. I love spending half of my weekend searching garage sales and flea markets looking for treasures. Also I know if I pay regular price for a game on the internet, I'll find it for a quarter at a garage sale the next weekend.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I wonder what will become of the market once everybody has thier stores set up with all thier inflated ebay prices. I've seen many places with $15 Super Mario World and $10 cart only 2600 pacmans. Do you think that eventually all of the good games a good deals are going to be gone for good and the only way to find them is to pay those rediculous prices? I think that jacking up the ebay values everywhere is going to cause many people to pass on what some places have for sale which in the long run is going to drive all the values down and even cause some people to become uninterested in collecting (if the prices become too high on everything good.) Thats just a hypothesis but I can see that happening in a couple years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was buying on-line for a few months this year just to pick up some bulk Saturn titles. There is a weak and tiny market where I'm at with that system. I had some good late minute bids and boosted the collection well but I've cut back and don't think I'll be buying on-line auctions for awhile but may do random trades from time to time.

There really isn't anything better than driving around to many different places and finding things for dirt cheaper than getting on eBay or other auction. Sure, gas prices are high and it can be expensive to move around but there's so many stores around here with SNES, NES, GEN, N64, PS1/2, GC, ect games that I'm bound to find something random when driving out. In addition I usually swing by the shops on my way to work, other people's houses, visiting family, going to the movies, and other things so it just fits into my life style.

As for the harder to find things in the wild; I do come across a lot of duplicates and I generally pick them up anyways because it may be in better condition than what I currently have, plus the reselling of it may bring decent profit towards newer games or systems. I'm still under the 800 game marker so there's still a ton of commons to find, also (as most have seen what I post in the finds) I don't buy sports titles unless they are in some bundle price with other things I want. I count sports games as $0 towards prices of bundled games to be sure it doesn't affect how I price it myself. There's a few games I have picked up (ex. Furry Football [SNES]) for $1 because I figured they were well worth it and not as common as say Madden.

Lastely, sometimes buying cheap commons that sometimes have blown up prices on-line (ex. Punch-Out, Final Fantasy, Mario) you can either resell them there or locally at specialty game stores and get good trade-in values to go towards purchases of more uncommon/rare games you want your hands on. I got some common N64 games for $2 each the other day and traded some in for over double their price that just jumped my money and can make a $70 game more like $30 true cost on my end. Once I bought a bunch of NES games that cost me $15 and resold them for $70 elsewhere, and they don't generally sell on eBay so bam, good profits. Just need to know as many stores in your area as possible and where to go and when if you have the time.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0) obliterator918's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got back from hitting thrift stores. We went to about five thrift stores. Only one even had any old video games, and we bought both. (NBA Jam for Sega 32x--nothing special, and XMen for Sega Saturn).

There's just nothing left around here. It's all at Vintage Stock and Game Exchange.

Insert Coin (Level 0) obliterator918's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just got back from hitting thrift stores. We went to about five thrift stores. Only one even had any old video games, and we bought both. (NBA Jam for Sega 32x--nothing special, and XMen for Sega Saturn).

There's just nothing left around here. It's all at Vintage Stock and Game Exchange.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I enjoy going to shops and buying my games but they are all pretty much void of anything of real interest to me. I also look for Turbo Grafx games and can not find much any more(and I'm looking for China Warrior and Victory Run). So I am left pretty much with online purchasing.

I can say I have never bought a current gen game online and the only PSX games I have bought on line were Philosoma(I wanted the long box) and Motor Toon Grand Prix. Come to think of it I don't think I have bought any NES games online either. I seem to buy alot of Turbo and Saturn games online.

Around my way, when ever I see vintage games I only see sports.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"I am a treasure hunter! argghhhhh."(in pirate voice) is usualy my response to anyone who talks to me about ebay. i know ill evenetualy have to use it but im at 555 nes so far without it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I have never, and will never buy or sell games online.

There's nothing like walking into a store and unexpectedly finding your holy grail. Plus it's the instant gratification thing - I hate having to wait for shipping. I want it now!!

Plus I just don't deal with people that aren't physically in front of me. Lessens the chance of getting ripped off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ahhh i love these kind of topics. they are so interesting to read lol and since im bored and nothing to do i might as well post my 2 cents as well.

Ok for me i absolutely cant WAIT until the weekend to go out and hunt stuff. And its a blast! Either i have a buddy come along with me or my girlfriend and its always a blast. Cruising around hitting yard sales, flea markets, and everything that would carry old game is awesome. Now for the gas price, yea well they suck, but hey what can ya do. People pay money for a hobby and i guess crusing around hunting games is a hobby uin itself, let alone the collecting part. but i have to say about 90 percent of my collecting has come from "the wild". And i have found some extremely nice things, factory sealed gameboy games 10 bucks a pop, final fight guy complete 7 bucks, boxes and boxes of like 20 to 30 games for SNES, NES, N64 for like 10 bucks for a whole box of 30 games or so. And its awesome finding trade material. I found a virtual boy Demo unit for 5 bucks before, and NES Systems out the ying yang lol. Also some very minty CIB NES Games. And all that stuff was from just this summer!!!!!

And yea of course there were those crappy weekends were i didnt find anything lol. But its also just for fun geting out a huinting for stuff. I mean what else am i gonna do at 6:30 on a saturday morning! What sleep???????
    hahaha i have all winter for that lol

But then for the biggest and best score of my collecting journey has came from a huge trade online which got me, caltron 6 in 1 CIB, Bubble bobble 2 CIB, all mega mans CIb, little samson CIB, Tenegen Tetris CIB, and about 20 other CIb games. i ended up trading like an xbox, ps2, and a gba sp, for al those games. Now i know i would have never found those games in the wild, and i still never have. but i found xbox's and ps2 all the time at the flea market so it all evens itself out and works in a big cycle lol. Whcih is actually awesome and lot of fun. Im 20 years old so the whole factor of being an adult hasnt kicked in yet i guess haha!
    -Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

NeoGeo,TG16,Famicom online purchase for me.

GC,PS2 etc for current systems offline when i have a choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I probably buy most of my classic games online (eBay, mostly), but would prefer to buy them in shops, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'll even overpay for them in shops I trust rather than buy them online.

A good recent example is that I broke down and bought Lunar: Silver Star on Sega CD on eBay near mint and complete for $26 shipped a few weeks back, which is quite a good deal (they often go as high as $50-55 in that condition on eBay). Inside of a week, one of the better local vintage game shops got one in, and it really pissed me off. In reality he probably would've charged $30-50 for it, and it may not have even been in as good shape (I didn't ask or inspect it; ignorance is bliss), and the deal on eBay went smoothly, but still, I'd've much rather bought it from the shop.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm done buying online for a while, I got what I wanted

Ninja Gaiden III - NES
    Ninja Gaiden Trilogy - SNES
    Gunstar Heroes - Sega Genesis
    Mega Turrican - Sega Genesis

all I need is Bonk's Adventure on the NES

The only places here is the Value Center, Thrift Shop, Goodwill & SA Thrift Store

In the Thrift shop a small one..the guy has a Genesis 1 & a Sega CD2 Combo for $30 should I get it

All for old Games...for new games, Gamecrazy

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lkermel
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaniel
    local game stores that have started to price their inventory by logging onto eBay and picking the highest sale price (right in front of you, no less! )
    I forgot about this. This also happened to me a couple of times. The second time I just told them I wasn't interested by the games anymore... I couldn't believe it ! They literally logged-in onto Ebay and checked for the prices from there ! I do not mind if they do it, but not in front of the customer ! I hate that !
    If that ever happened to me, I'd tell them very rudely that if I wanted to pay ebay prices, I know how to log onto it too!

As for finding things online vs finding things in the wild, I get the same thrill out of both. Sure it's alot more fun to rummage through physical game racks than it is to rummage through virtual game racks, but aside from that it's just as much fun to get a good deal on a game that you've been looking for online as it is to get a good deal on a game that you've been looking for in the wild. The only difference between the two for me is that you have to wait a little longer before you actually receive the game online. Having to pay shipping and handling can be annoying too, especially if the seller is overcharging for shipping, but I just remind myself that if I was buying the same game in a physical location, then I'd have to pay sales tax instead of shipping and handling, so it's really about the same to me.

And Steven is right, you have to know how to shop on ebay to avoid overpaying. It took me a while to figure it out, but I think that I know how to do it properly now.

To each his own, but there's a certain thrill to opening one's mailbox and finding that game that you've been wanting forever in it too. No pounding the pavement in the blazing summer sun to get it necessary, except from your front door to your mailbox and back again. Sure you miss out on all the hustle and bustle of places like flea markets, but that's more of a plus than a minus for me. But if you get a thrill out of haggling with sellers, I suppose that it is alot more fun to haggle in a flea market than it is to do it on ebay. You can haggle to some degree on ebay now that they have the "best offer" feature, but it still needs some work. When they say best offer, your first offer had better be your best offer, because it won't let you make anymore offers after that. Most buyers and sellers agree that this isn't quite how it should work, but hopefully ebay will take our suggestions into consideration and improve it for us.

Anyhow, I get just as much of a rush out of finding a game that I've been wanting online as I do out of finding a game that I've been wanting in a physical location. I guess that finding games in the wild may have a little more appeal than finding games online for some, since it is alot more difficult to find games in the wild now than it is to find games online, but why torture yourself if all you really want is the game? I'd rather make my searches easier, not more difficult. And even searching online, it's taken me years to find some of the games that I wanted, so why wait longer?

I also agree with Ed that if it weren't for the internet, it would be impossible for me to collect imports now. There's just no way that I would still have as many imports as I do now without the internet. There just aren't enough import shops with physical locations anymore. You can find anime shops in any major city, and in many minor cities as well, but most of those shops don't carry any import games, and if they do they likely only carry games for modern systems, they don't carry any games for classic systems. So I pretty much have to shop online to continue collecting imports.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Your local stores are only as plentiful as the stuff that people (or stores) once had. You can spend a couple years looking through thrift stores for certain games you refuse to buy online, but you have to remember something. If nobody nearby HAD the game to begin with, then can you really expect to find it? Sooner or later, you have to consider the option of buying online. I wouldn't ever expect to find (insert random game) for the Turbografx 16, since I've never seen any evidence suggesting that somebody in my area even had a TG16. Same with some NES or 2600 games, I just can't picture anybody nearby having those, since I knew most every family in a wide radius who had consoles.

Lurker Supreme Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gurn1313
    PSN
    gurn1313
    Steam
    gurn1313

Buying online is not my preference, but sometimes necessary especially for uncommon systems.

Locally, today I found a non-working Virtual Boy for 1.21 with Wario Land still in it, and a bag of random stuff (old cassettes, 8-tracks etc) for 1.81 which also had Kung Fu & Tetris for the NES, Kenseiden & Double Dragon for the Master system, as well as SNES Super Mario Kart. You just never know. If I had bought that stuff online, it would have been priced at least $50 plus shipping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never buy anything online, unless it's a new PS2 game or something like that. I'm perfectly happy collecting only by buying in stores, even if it's going to take me longer and give extra expense and frustration to do so. I just like looking on a shelf or in a case or in a box and finding that thing I am looking for. Buying online just doesn't do it for me.

I'm going for a complete Neo CD collection now (over 70% complete) and haven't bought a single item that I haven't found in a store and walked to the register myself.

Insert Coin (Level 0) NickmasterX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use ebay alot, but I prefer finding games in the wild. I mostly go to my local flea market, but there used to be a nice buy/sell/trade place where I got a lot of good NES stuff but theyve since had less and less. I've never gone to thrift shops for games, am I missing something? The ones in my area never have any game stuff but then again, thats only from me going like once.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only look for common domestic stuff in the wild. Ain't no way in hell I'm ever going to see Japanese PC Engine CDs or Neo Geo cartriges on a store shelf. So, most of my games come from the interweb.

Isn't it sad? eBay is quickly becoming the ONLY option we have for a lot of things. But we still have the buying and selling forum here on DP, I need to use that more.