Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SNES vs. 32X Doom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES vs. 32X Doom

I was just playing 32x Doom, then played some SNES Doom via emu

Which do most people think is a better version?

I generally like the 32x graphics more, but the SNES seems to have some graphics that the 32x one is missing (especially apparent in the first level, the 32x one looks so empty!)

BTW, sorry if this is an old topic, I searched and found nothing.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the SNES version by far. The overall speed is slower but more consistent. The music is FAR superior, more sprites are present (for the enemies as an example, only the facing front sprite exists for any monster in 32X Doom). In addition the SNES version not only has more levels (twenty-two compared to the fifteen on the 32X port), but the levels included are more accurate to the original game than most any other port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the SNES version is surprisingly good considering the hardware... it's just cool to see it running on 16-bit hardware.

The 32x COULD have run a PC-perfect port of DOOM running full-screen with all the levels and enemies at a great frame rate and with nice graphics but it's been said time and time again that 32x DOOM just didn't get enough development time. It was an important launch title and it seems it was pushed to retail too soon. The music wouldn't have been as good as that in the SNES game but everything could have been perfect.

If the 32x could do fine, fine games like Virtua Fighter and DarXide then it could certainly have done something less complex like DOOM.

Coulda Shoulda Woulda
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you save on the SNES version? That's something that really pissed me off about 32x doom. I don't want to play the whole game in one sitting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    In addition the SNES version not only has more levels (twenty-two compared to the fifteen on the 32X port), but the levels included are more accurate to the original game than most any other port.
    Most any other port, meaning excluding the PSX version? I haven't played all the way through the PS port but it seemed 100% on par with every little thing, but I never compaired it right against the PC version at the same time so can't be too sure.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't play the SNES version for more than a couple of levels - the slow frame rate gave me a headache.

Strawberry (Level 2) tornadostormxl's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Snes is the best

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    Can you save on the SNES version? That's something that really pissed me off about 32x doom. I don't want to play the whole game in one sitting!
    Nope you couldnt save on the Snes version.

The first time I ever played Doom was on the Snes. I got so used to it, by the time it came out on the PS1, I thought the PS1 graffix looked weird. After playing the PS1 version for a while, I couldnt go back to the Snes.

And I remember spending a whole Saturday playing Snes Doom because their were no saves and no level skip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Id say SNES version is equal to 32x version... they both got problems. The 3do version is Horrendous. The Jaguar version is hella good.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 32x version is MUCH BETTER. The framerate version is better too!

The snes version doesnt even have textures in the floor and in the nuke...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm absolutely stunned neither version allows you to save.

Doom is not fun played all at once!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually Doom 32X should let you begin a game on any of the fifteen included levels whenever you want (similar to the "Start At Wave ___" option on man older arcade games). Doom ports and saving DO NOT MIX. Even the very unique Doom 64 only lets you save the passwords so that you can enter them more quickly. NONE of the old ports save system/control settings ever, it's pretty bizarre.

3DO version is bad but has some really nice remixed music (though the Saturn/PSX ambient version is really good too).

cyberfluxor: The PSX/Saturn versions are both good ports (though the Saturn version is inexcusably choppy at times) but several of the levels are pared down in size. The structure of what's present is almost flawless but there are rooms/secrets/etc. that are flat out missing. They are also severely lacking in the enemy department (the Arch-Vile being completely absent as an example), with less enemies present overall in many of the "busier" rooms and so on. Many of the sound effects are also missing from the original. The actual order of the levels is also drastically different on many of the ports.

The SNES version runs the worst of these ports (except maybe the 3DO/Saturn) but somehow it really is very, VERY accurate to the PC original's level design. It's a miracle of programming that it runs at all I guess.

That Jaguar version is the best overall but even it uses the PSX/Saturn levels and therefore isn't QUITE perfect.

Of course the port on the XBox included with Doom 3 Collector's Edition and Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil destroy all of these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm no fan of the 32x version of Doom, but I found the SNES version to be completely unplayable. It runs at like five frames per second! The framerate was so bad that it affected my ability to control. I was always overturning because the framerate was too low to be able to properly judge things.

The 32x version is more playable, but the fact that it's missing 1/3 of the levels is pretty inexcusable. Fuck that.

I really liked the Jaguar version.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Jaguar version was excellent but it sucked that it didn't have any sound. I really liked the music in the SNES game but that's all I liked about it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I didn't like the SNES Version, even know I'm a Doom fan it's slow...My Fav Doom on a System is the Saturn & PSX, I want to get the Japanese Version of Doom on Saturn it has better Framerate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being a launch 32X owner, I have been playing 32X Doom forever. So, I am very partial to the title. However when it comes to games in general, framerate is extremly important to me. I hate games that pump out pretty screenshots but have a horrible framerate. Performance should be #1 priority. Just look at a game like Killzone on the PS2. That game would have run so much better if the developers could put their 3D modeling wangs away, and drop the damn poly counts to improve the framerate. That being said 32X Doom is better than SNES Doom.
    www.onlineconsoles.com - network gaming for the Dreamcast, GameCube and Playstation 2

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First version of DOOM I played was the PC Demo back in the day. Yet my first home port of it was on the Jaguar. The day I got it, I kept trying to turn up the speakers, I couldnt hear anything! Then I realized...NO BGM! (Until you finished the level)...who made that decision? silly people

32X version Vs. SNES? tough call...I do remember the SNES has some of the sweeter levels that were missing in the 32X game.

PSX/Saturn port, pretty nice SFX updates by far, but the funky techno neon colors on pools of lava, acid pools, and fireballs from the enemies were the only thing that made me go 'Huh?" Yet sadly there is a few favorite levels I liked that are missing in this game. Not much, but stuff from DOOM II especially.

Back on topic, I'd say 32X version of doom to get a solid feel of the game in it's true look. SNES game is still badass, but good lord, it's like watching a cartoon made out of red finger paints at times when the action gets too heavy for you.

Final DOOM PSX, damn I loved this one when it came out, simply to have MASTER LEVELS DOOM II, which were some really ingenious levels designed compared to that of Final Doom's TNT and Plutonia expansion paks. I think the reason why I like it so much, is Master Levels was something I passed up many times, yet now that I have the real PC edition of Master Levels...I keep messing with it ever so often, those WADS mix and match so easily. Playing NIN on some level called "Tooth" was pretty neat I'd say

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was the SNES version censored? I didn't really play it that much, but I seem to recall some of the gore being cut down and a lot of the "demonic" stuff (upside-down crosses) being removed.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's right it was, the pentagrams were removed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I remember getting far into the SNES version and just gave up towards the end. In one level I was getting shot at and (from what I could tell) there wern't any enemies around.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre