Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SNES vs. 32X Doom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone remember the ad campaign for SNES Doom? It was damned effective... one lone red ant completely and totally surrounded by an army of black ants on a white background.

Found it...

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    Anyone remember the ad campaign for SNES Doom? It was damned effective... one lone red ant completely and totally surrounded by an army of black ants on a white background.

[image removed]
    That's an excellent ad!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

From best to worst:

The XBox Doom 3 version of classic Doom is the best. It's like playing Doom and Doom 2 on the best possible computer of that time. Or playing it on a computer today.

Not very far behind it, the PlayStation versions, Doom and Final Doom. So many levels. Superb frame rate.

Not too far behind that, the amazing N64 version, which takes a lot of chances by changing things up, but I really like the changes - it's like Doom "Remix".

Before all of those, the best console version of Doom was on the Jaguar. Super smooth but missing in-game music (you only got to hear it between levels for some strange reason).

Next, the GBA version of Doom is remarkably accurate to the PC version.

The 32X version is next, seriously flawed with a forced border (!) and no save game options.

The SNES version just behind that, the first version of Doom that I ever played and thought... "this really sucks".

The abomination of a port on the 3DO comes dead last. What the hell? Worst framerate and muddy graphics.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: SNES vs. 32X Doom

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r
    I was just playing 32x Doom, then played some SNES Doom via emu

Which do most people think is a better version?

I generally like the 32x graphics more, but the SNES seems to have some graphics that the 32x one is missing (especially apparent in the first level, the 32x one looks so empty!)

BTW, sorry if this is an old topic, I searched and found nothing.
    I played the real versions. Snes doom is the worst. I bought the 32x with doom for $30 at Kmart. The 32x doom is definitely one of the better ports out there.

Oldschool Doom Rankings
    1. PC
    2. Playstation
    3. 32x
    4. Jag
    5. Doom 64(yeah more rounded defined shapes, but they are ghosts)
    Doom64 A major disappointment.
    6. Saturn
    7. 3do
    8. SNES
    VF & SF The Originals!

KOF & Tekken The Clones!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default Doom

The SNES version is a choppy Pixalaited mess...

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES version was the first version I owned. I own most of the different versions now, and I pretty much agree with the general assessment of the SNES version, and its shortcomings.

I'm not positive, but I think that the SNES version is probably the lowest resolution of the bunch. The graphics kind of resembled the low-res option on the PC where everything got super blocky. They also adjusted the shot accuracy in the SNES version to account for the slop in the graphics and frame rate. If you are pointing in the general direction of an enemy you'll usually hit him.

However, I think it speaks to the strength of the game itself that even with those shortcomings, when playing it at night with headphones on, it still scared the crap out of me...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the audio capabilities of the hardware are what really make that port next to the level accuracy. Plus it has the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind which are missing from the GBA port, with one or both missing from may of the other ports as well. Persistantly updated auto map, you can cycle through the weapons while paused. If the framerate itself were smoother I'd consider it one of the best porting jobs ever given the hardware available. Also while it lacks coop, it does have a scaled down split screen death match that again several versions are just outright missing.

If I had to rank the ports myself (personally the most important factors to me are the level and enemy placement accuracy, the controls/control options, and the sound):

First off, what's available on the XBox is effectively flawless (though the running speed is SLIGHTLY faster than in the original PC games, that's the only difference one could noticeably pick up on even after some extensive play time).

After that?

Playstation/GBA
    Saturn
    Jaguar
    SNES
    32X
    3DO

Doom 64 is a totally different beast that I don't think should even be considered among the ports. I personally I think it's a great Doom game with better level (and MUCH better sound design) than anyone gives it credit for. The music is an obvious precursor to the "heartbeat of the machine" type stuff seen in the Silent Hill games, Doom 3, etc. While I doubt it directly influenced any of these, it was a change that works remarkably well (and this is coming from someone who ALWAYS has some Doom I / II music queued up on his playlist).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    Playstation/GBA
    Saturn
    Jaguar
    SNES
    32X
    3DO
    Wow I never knew anything about the 3DO version before. What's the deal? Why does everyone hate it? It can't really be worse than the SNES/32X versions can it? Or is it just a case where the game didn't live up to the hype?

Doom 64 is a totally different beast that I don't think should even be considered among the ports. I personally I think it's a great Doom game with better level (and MUCH better sound design) than anyone gives it credit for.
    I also love Doom 64. The levels are great, and the graphics are pretty good, once you get past the fact that it's a 2D game that everyone expected should be a 3D game. I do find it a little wonky using the n64 controller though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES version is the best next to the PC version. And plus the cartridge is red so that makes it all the more sweeter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow I never knew anything about the 3DO version before. What's the deal? Why does everyone hate it? It can't really be worse than the SNES/32X versions can it? Or is it just a case where the game didn't live up to the hype?
    The 3DO port is appalling for several reasons...

1. BORDERS. Kind of like the 32x version except YOU GET TO CHOOSE THE SIZE OF THE BORDER. The smaller the border, the better the frame rate. Looking for the best frame rate? You have to shrink the action window down to the size of a deck of cards. And you can. There's even a code you can put in for two additional sizes... almost full-screen and true full screen. The fact that they were removed as a normal option and only accessable with a code should tell you something about the frame rates.

2. Which leads to the next reason... frame rate! The frame rate for the biggest action window is amazingly bad... slow, jerky, and pretty much unplayable. You can get a better frame rate by shrinking the action window down but by that point you might as well be playing the GBA version.

3. The 3DO is capable of more. The 3DO has some decent FPS games (I said DECENT) and it could have managed a much better port of DOOM that what was ultimately released.

The Saturn got screwed, too... Duke Nukem and Powerslave showed that the Saturn could do a FPS with considerable speed, detail, and grace. I understand the Japanese version of DOOM runs much better than the one that was released in the States.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is where the 32X's Doom is the WINNER the SENS Doom is so gay I can't stand that large pixel that id/Nintendo calls Doom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was frustrated by some of the limitations of the 32X version, but I have to say I liked it a little better than the SNES version. To this date, the SNES game is the only 3D game that's made me feel sick, and it also gave me this horrible cross between a headache and eyestrain. I felt like I was going to go blind.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the audio capabilities of the hardware are what really make that port next to the level accuracy. Plus it has the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind which are missing from the GBA port, with one or both missing from may of the other ports as well. Persistantly updated auto map, you can cycle through the weapons while paused. If the framerate itself were smoother I'd consider it one of the best porting jobs ever given the hardware available. Also while it lacks coop, it does have a scaled down split screen death match that again several versions are just outright missing.
    GBA DOOM = A Jaguar DOOM port. It's the same game, same amount of levels (23) except the main difference is GBA supports 4 player Deathmatch via link cable...while Jag DOOM just has system link for 2 players. Also it is missing Spectres (Invisible Demons).

As for DOOM 64's soundtrack...it's the exact same one used in PSX DOOM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ghouls N Ghosts
    GBA DOOM = A Jaguar DOOM port. It's the same game, same amount of levels (23) except the main difference is GBA supports 4 player Deathmatch via link cable...while Jag DOOM just has system link for 2 players. Also it is missing Spectres (Invisible Demons).
    So is the GBA Doom also missing music?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually they both have twenty-four single player/coop levels, though the GBA port has eight extra deathmatch levels that are not in any other version of the game. In addition what's odd about it is that many of the GBA quirks are inherited from the Jaguar game, yet there are some very subtle modifications to some of the levels (strategically placed object to block the view of an area to lower the amount of things that have to be drawn at a time, etc.) while still keeping these quirks

No it definitely is not. At all:

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/music.html

The PSX/Saturn soundtracks definitely go for a more chilling feel but it's totally different music from what was composed and put into Doom 64. Both are really great though if you ask me. The PSX/Saturn soundtrack has a few individual songs in it that I think blow away most other Doom music, but I like the overall tone of the N64 one more.

The 3DO version has really nice remixes of several of the classic PC Doom songs but everything else about it. Arg.

c0ldb33r: It's missing several songs but most of the major pieces are there (similar to the SNES port in that respect).

Personally I rank the GBA so high due to the quality of its Doom II port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember being very impressed when DOOM SNES was first released that they actually got the game to work on the sloooowdown 16-bit system.

Luved the red cart (US version) and the music was better than all the other console ports of that time until the PSX and the N64 versions.

OH DOOM 64 LUVED it and it is still my favorite N64 game to this day.

Ive never understood why some hated on Doom 64 back in the day, other than the control (N64 controller? yea) it was SOLID in everyway.

The graphics were much improved ,great level design, the music was good and it had a great "atmosphere" to it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the Pc version of Doom back in the day. Let me say that the SNES version was just plain pitiful.

I have it right now and and don't like it much at all.

Slow Frame Rate

Terrible Graphics compared to other games on the system.

I rarely ever listen to the music on any games I play. I find it distracting. I like the sound effects and ambient noise.

I listen to music when I want to listen to music. And that doesn't count when I am playing a game.

Doom 64 is leaps and bounds better. My only problem is in the early levels I have to cheat.

There is the Button you have to push and then run and get the Blue or Red Key. I can never get to it in time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is the GBA Doom also missing music?
    Nope, just a few tracks
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually they both have twenty-four single player/coop levels, though the GBA port has eight extra deathmatch levels that are not in any other version of the game. In addition what's odd about it is that many of the GBA quirks are inherited from the Jaguar game, yet there are some very subtle modifications to some of the levels (strategically placed object to block the view of an area to lower the amount of things that have to be drawn at a time, etc.) while still keeping these quirks

No it definitely is not. At all:

http://www.doom2.net/~doomdepot/music.html

The PSX/Saturn soundtracks definitely go for a more chilling feel but it's totally different music from what was composed and put into Doom 64. Both are really great though if you ask me. The PSX/Saturn soundtrack has a few individual songs in it that I think blow away most other Doom music, but I like the overall tone of the N64 one more.

PSX & N64 mood and feel of the BGM is essentially the same or try to be, but I do agree the PSX game is more dark. However, the sound effects for the N64 are from the PSX

As for the GBA/Jaguar DOOM....just pretty much what I said earlier, except that it has some extra multiplayer deathmatch levels. Yet speaking from just the single player mode, it's essentially the same. Except the GBA plays the BGM unlike the Jag
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suppafly View Post
    The 32x version is MUCH BETTER. The framerate version is better too!

The snes version doesnt even have textures in the floor and in the nuke...
    So graphics are all that matters, huh? Well, I liked the SNES version better, you know why? MUSIC! Wanna know why music matter more to me than graphics? Music compliments the graphics! Music helps create an atmosphere graphics can't do on its own! OK, you do have music in the 32X port, I'll grant you that. But to me, music with some volume in it creates a better atmosphere than a viking chorus farting! But, if you're just in it for the game, 32X is better, if you're in it for the experience (like me), the SNES kicks 32X's ass.