Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is Harder to Get>> A Complete NES Set or SMS Set

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Which is Harder to Get>> A Complete NES Set or SMS Set

ok Well im finally getting close to the long road of a fully complete Nes collection with only 98 titles left to get, and after this game show this weekend im hoping to knock that number down a good bit hopefully. I mostly only need more common games besides the insane rares. But mnow im starting to keep my options open for the other systems now. And i notice everyone who has a complete NES collection always seems to go for a complete SMS Collection, i guess because the SMS offers the same kind of graphics and play of the original NES. (which is my fav system of all time) But before i "maybe" start that journey cna i get some tips on how hard it is to do. Now funny thing is i notice i hardly EVER find SMS games in the wild. Truthfully maybe one or two but thats it lol. I dunno know why, i mean i find NES games every weekend somewhere but SMS are like extinct. lol. But i know the US set has only like 114 SMS games oppose to the 700+ games the NES has? So anyways any hints tips?? High priced games that are ard to get >? lemme know. thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I understand, the SMS wasn't that popular in the USA. If there's only 114 US games, and the initial circulation was many times less than the NES, that makes things a bit difficult 20 years later.

Whereas over here in the UK, the Master System was way more popular, and had more games released. Seems very easy to me to find complete boxed SMS games over here.

Anyway, good luck in your collecting quests.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

SMS is very easy to collect for via ebay. The only complication is if you decide to distinguish between the US and PAL versions of games. For example, Sonic in the UK is worth about $2, the US vewrsion could be $200. The only difference is a sticker over the UPC. This is the extreme example, most varants can be had cheaper, I think Buster Douglas is next at $80-$120.

It's an easy set to complete...go for it...you can then move on to another soon enough...or even go after the PAL set...I have not gone far into that set myself but it appears to be substantially easier than a NES set...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet thanks for the advice guys! ill keep that in mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was weird; at one point, I was going for both a complete NES set and a complete SMS set. And, (as you stated) a lot of people seem to want to go for comlpete NES and SMS sets.
    I had no idea why this was (I was doing because I loved NES and SMS seemed easy) until it finally dawned on me that they were both 8-bit consoles with very similar visuals. Yeah... I'm an idiot.
    As far as tips to completing it: Just do what I did. But 95% of the library off of Club Ninja. That guy is rad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol ok! by the way jumpman lemme know when ya upgrade your one copy of that game "wink wink" i really need that cart hehe. Thanks man

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is too many NES rare and unique unlicensed games out there for the system so it is a lot harder than the SMS in my opinion. Buster Douglas on the SMS for example is pretty hard to find and it goes for about 80 US while other NES games like Stadium Events and 6 in 1 Myraid go for about 800 US!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

complete as far as cart ,manual. box the nes is is 100 times harder to complete then the sms...other than the atari 2600 I dont know of many systems that would be harder to complete..ive been working on nes for a long time and still am having trouble tracking down the last 30 boxes i need . the manual to stadium events is near to impossible to find..and a lot of the common games the boxes are a lot harder to find than anyone thinks

if your talking about a loose collection the nes although pricey is pretty easy to build a complete collection of.

I dont have any sms games but i have started after a n64 collection which i am finding very easy with 3/4 of a collection built in less than 2 months and less money spent than what i paid for stadium events.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The NES library is WAY harder to complete than the SMS.

You could start buying them on ebay and have 95% of the US library in a week or two without putting a large hole in your wallet. Those last few SMS games will cost quite a bit but not as much as a comparable NES game of the same rarity would cost. And there's always the chance that you can find them cheap on ebay since there are less collectors looking for them. I've bought two copies of Buster Douglas for less then $10 before and a few other SMS rarities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm i have like 50 64 games. i was thinking about that as well. Hmmm so many options. lol. But yet i still just like to keep hunting for stuff and buying anything and everything for every system and just keep adding to the collections for all the systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kept just collecting everything too. Im at like 555 and have not used ebay yet. I think ill probably the genesis as my second collection just because i find them even cheaper and more frequent than nes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a US SMS full set, but seems harder for me to track all the Nes games. SMS limits itself to a few HTF or rare, compared to the Nes wich have lots of more games on such categories. I am looking at least for all licensed Nes games, most Nes I have are unboxed but will track all the titles I need with their respective boxes and manuals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Master system probably sold less so should be rarer... but NES is more trendy and in demand.... So dunno which is easier to get ahold of.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Insert Coin (Level 0) playgeneration's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a hell of a lot easier to collect for master system. Theres a lot less games for a start, even if you count worldwide releases theres only about 350 unique sms games and and probably thousands of nes/famicom titles. Limit yourself to just US releases and its even easier. Also since the games come in proper plastic boxes unlike the crappy fall to pieces card of nes games, getting them complete and in excellent condition is no problem at all.
    And a word of advice dont buy the US version of sonic. It IS the euro version, just with a barcode sticker on the back. And paying $200 for that is like paying an extra $198 for a common game that still has a shops price sticker on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I had the US version of Sonic just for collecting sake as well as the Euro version. I didn't pay $200 for it. I didn't have the manual so I substituted the Euro manual for it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman Jr.
    Just do what I did. Buy 95% of the library off of Club Ninja. That guy is rad.

Glad they got a good home!
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Nintendo 64, for those who mentioned, is also an easy set. More expensive than this SMS, but 295 or so games, most of which are common. They sell for a bit more usually but are even more common. I've got the set and am working on the boxes and manuals now, also needing a copy of Sin and Punishment, for some reason this one import is a must have, so they say...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the responses guys and yea ill keep my options open on the other systems after this NEs set is complete or near complete. minus the panesians and myriad. (unless i found a good deal on em). But i plan to get em all and get em all complete. so thats a life long journey in itself lol. But will probably move on to SMS, N64, and i also really like the original gameboy. i have about 40 original GB games. how many was made for the orginal GB??

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parpunk
    i have about 40 original GB games. how many was made for the orginal GB??
    About 612 according to this list:
    http://www.nintendo.com/doc/dmg_games.pdf

The list appears to contain Game Boy Color games that will work on an original GB, but GBC-only games (like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe) are omitted.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans
    Quote Originally Posted by Parpunk
    i have about 40 original GB games. how many was made for the orginal GB??
    About 612 according to this list:
    http://www.nintendo.com/doc/dmg_games.pdf

The list appears to contain Game Boy Color games that will work on an original GB, but GBC-only games (like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe) are omitted.
    hmmm...the DP master list says 520...

Later,
    Trebuken