Thread: anyone know if this rgb method works?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default anyone know if this rgb method works?

I admit i don't know much about rgb but i've been looking into it lately. i really want to try it on my HDTV with consoles like my snes but i really don't want to find and buy a rgb monitor. now i've read about the method useing a rgb+ upscan converter and a audio authority device to convert to component but i hear getting japanese 21 pin converters is a real pain and custom makeing/getting them is well....more work. so i was reserching and i was wondering if anyone knows if the meathod i've come up with would work

ok i came across this thing http://www.syncblaster.com/Syncblaster_RGB2C.html
    which supposedly turns rgb to componant through a European scart cable (which are rather easy to get compaired to a jp 21 pin rgb cable). ok, it sells for about $145.00 US which is still cheaper then getting a upscaner and a audio athority, plus it looks small so its less stuff to take up room.

so useing a US snes system as an example. you get a snes scart a/v cable hook it up to the SyncBlaster RGB2C and then get a scart to componant cable (which also seem cheap and plentyful). and there you go rgb(ish) connection to a hdtv with less cash used and less hassle

now i'm assumeing a few things like a euro scart a/v cable will work with a US snes. but what does everyone think? can it work? again i'm no expert so i may be missing something painfully obvious about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think your best bet would be to just get the standard RGB cables for your classic systems and an old commodore RGB monitor for like $20. Then you can game in RGB for dirt cheap, and without a bunch of fancy exspensive converters.

Also, didn't you have another thread very similar to this one in which you were asking about component and RGB? You might want to try just posting in that thread first. It'll probably net you more responces, and save on clutter.

Lastly, why not shoot a PM over to Anthony1? He's pretty much the RGB authority around here and can probably answer all of your questions in one shot.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?RGB2S

Here's the manufacturer's site. At $145 you'd be getting pretty ripped off. It is considered by many to be the best box for the job. I've heard crappy things about the competition, btw, or rather, at least the Maplin one:

http://www.js-technology.com/index.p...eab6b816cc05d9

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ges&doy=search

And then there's this, which contains the Sony chip found in many game consoles, but I don't have any opinion it either, much like the J-S one:

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, didn't you have another thread very similar to this one in which you were asking about component and RGB? You might want to try just posting in that thread first. It'll probably net you more responces, and save on clutter.
    sorta...but not really. i searched and didn't find anything specificly on this method . every other method involved jp 21 pin cables and rgb+. the other thread was a more general topic in a diffrent forum anyways.

as for the monitor

1) i would rather play on a larger screen. yhea most of my life i've played games on a small usually less then 20 inch. and yhea it has its advantages but i'm just really tired of it. i have a large screen and i want to take advantage of it

2) i looked, online, flea markets ect...can't find one. sure i can look on ebay but i would rather not pay 5 times the cost its being sold for in shipping.

3) i have enought monitors in this apartment and not enough space.

i just figured this method seemed alot easier and space/cost efficent then the usual rgb+ - audio authority - finding/makeing jp cables method.

yhea reading anthonys posts on the glorious wonders or rgb is what started me on all this. i mostly just wanna try it out on snes and turbo duo. i swear though. if i ever get the money and get it working and my head doesn't expolode from viewing the visual wonders that is rgb i'm going to hunt him down and strangle him with my rgb cables.