Thread: Guides to Getting Started with non-DOS Classic Computers

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Guides to Getting Started with non-DOS Classic Computers

I'm thinking of starting a thread with resources for newcomers to classic computing (not DOS/x86 variants, more Commodore/Atari/Apple etc.). Since it can be hard to know exactly what model type/amount of RAM/processor/speed/BIOS revision will best work for you, and what parts (disk drives, casette drives, mice, joysticks) are needed to get started. So if someone could contribute some links, or perhaps write a guide of their own, please post it here!
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

That's a good idea... Some other info that might be useful for beginners:
    • Basic info on how to actually run programs on each computer. ie, what commands to type in or what to click on, or if it will auto-boot from a disk, and stuff like that.
    • If appropriate, what the different model numbers mean, like a 1040ST has 1MB of ram while a 520ST has 512K, and so forth. Not necessarily an exhaustive list, maybe just the most popular models (ie, C64 vs. C128) or basic terminology (ie, Atari 400/800 vs XL vs XE)

There are plenty of FAQs out there that I could link to, but I'm guessing the idea here is a very concise bit of information rather than an exhaustive 400 page encyclopedia.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Here's my attempt at a VIC-20 guide. Please point any mistakes if you find them!

• Models - All VIC-20's are functionally identical.
    • Recommended Hardware
      [list:6dbb0c80e8]
    • VIC-20 computer (motherboard and keyboard combined into a single unit)
    • Power Supply (There are two different models of VIC-20 with the only major difference being their power supply. One uses a two-prong plug and the other uses a round plug compatible with the C64. You can't mix them up, so don't worry.)
    • External RF Modulator (See note #1) + TV/Game Switch + Television.
    • OR Composite video cable (proprietary) + Television/Monitor with composite inputs.
    • 1530/C2N Datasette (tape drive, uses standard audio tapes)
    • Atari 2600 compatible Joystick (The VIC only has one joystick port)
    • Commodore Paddles (Atari 2600 paddles might not work)
    [*]Optional Hardware
    • Ram Expander (many programs required extra memory. Available in 3K, 8K, and 16K. Get a 16K if possible. These expanders fit in the cartridge slot)
    • 1541 Disk Drive + Serial Cable + Power Cable for Disk Drive (99% of VIC software came on cartridge or tape, so a disk drive is not a neccessity)
    [*]Running Programs
    • Cartridges - Turn off the system, insert cartridge into slot in rear (label side up), turn system on. Note that the VIC's cartridge slot is notoriously picky, so if the game doesn't start, try again.
    • Tapes - Turn system on, insert tape in tape drive (rewind if necessary). Type "LOAD" (and hit enter) and press play on the tape drive when told. While loading, the screen may flash. Tape will stop automatically when loading is finished (This will take a while). Type "RUN" (and hit enter).
    [*]Notes
    1. The VIC-20 does not have a built-in RF modulator, so you will NEED either a composite cable, or the external RF modulator that came with the system (this is usually a silver box that says "COMMODORE" and has a cord sticking out one end). You then must plug a TV/Game switch into this modulator, and then plug the switch into the TV.
    2. I have had a lot of trouble with external RF modulators in the past. If you're using one and can't get a video signal, then try another RF modulator, or try a composite cable (I had a number of VIC's that I thought were dead until I found a better RF modulator!)
    3. The memory expanders are somewhat incompatible with each other, in that a program written for a 3K memory expander may fail to work with an 8K expander due to the strange way the VIC reorganizes it's memory. Some of the larger expanders had switches in them to artificially limit themselves to these other sizes. Note that when you turn on the system, it will say "3583 BYTES FREE" if unexpanded. If a ram expander is installed (and seated properly in the finnicky cartridge port), this number will change to show that the computer sees the extra memory.
    4. The VIC is compatible with all C64 disk drives (1541, 1571, 1581), tape drives, printers, and joysticks. The C64 and VIC also use the same disk/tape format, however, you can NOT run C64 software on a VIC, nor can you run VIC software on a C64.
    5. The VIC is not compatible whatsoever with the Commodore Plus/4 or Commodore 16.
    [/list:6dbb0c80e8]

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Methinks another useful piece of information would be whether the old computers can communicate with modern PCs at all, either through serial cables or something else.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Another thing I hadn't thought of until after I wrote that VIC-20 stuff is that it would be very useful if I had a section that described some of the oddities of the keyboard (like the 2 cursor keys, the confusing "quotation mode", and various key combinations like RUN/STOP + RESTORE and such). Knowing a computer's equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Delete is always handy, and I know the C-128 has a whole bunch of keyboard tricks available.

--Zero

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's an Amiga guide for ya... From 1993. Still, it has some good information on system specs, recommended upgrades, technical info, etc.

EDIT: Here's another one for good measure.

Anyone know which 500 games won't work on a 1200? That's the main thing holding me back from getting a 1200. Well, that and the price.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave