Thread: better control scheme for old games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default better control scheme for old games?

If you could go back and change the control scheme on an old game - what would you do?

For me, I'd change the control in SNES Doom to make them more like the xbox doom port that came with Doom 3.

I'd do as follows:

D-pad - stays the same - moves your character

Y- strafe left
    A - strafe right
    B - action button
    X - change weapons

R- fire
    L - run

Select - map
    Start - options

I think this would make the game control like the xbox version, which I think has FANTASTIC controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: better control scheme for old games?

Having the strafe ability in a prominent place is very important for DOOM...how could you not get that? Strafing either needs to be on the d-pad (clumsy I think) or on the shoulder buttons (better). Then you've got all four face buttons free for whatever.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Having the strafe ability in a prominent place is very important for DOOM...how could you not get that? Strafing either needs to be on the d-pad (clumsy I think) or on the shoulder buttons (better). Then you've got all four face buttons free for whatever.
    I guess it kind of depends on the FPS games you were raised on, or how much you are into them now. Personally, I've never been into the "right shoulder button to fire" thing. (guessing) Like you Ed I was raised on moving with the d-pad, strafing with the shoulder buttons, and firing with my thumb. coolb33r's scheme makes sense in the more up-to-date era of the FPS, with analog turning and aiming.

As for the question, I'd think a million games would come to mind but to be honest there aren't that many I would change. I always thought Armored Core and Resident Evil had strange controls but I believe they fixed them in later versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, I was 'raised' on classic DOOM (this was actually after 1996), and I just used the alt key, default. I was also an avid Goldeneye player from maybe a year after it came out (whenever I got it), and used the default again (I still do for that game, because the yellow c-buttons work well). It wasn't until Half-Life appeared that I learned the value of mouselook and strafing Hell, I don't even own DOOM for SNES (hope to someday) but that's the only control scheme that makes sense to me, personally.

Sorry if I come off as a bit harsh earlier...but I do think it's a matter of speed. Anything that doesn't allow you to instantly switch between strafing left and right while shooting is substandard (admittedly I just said that I still use the default Goldeneye scheme, but the game makes some allowances for constant strafing, I think...maybe I should try out some of the others).