Thread: All in One Computers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default All in One Computers

Anybody have a list of classic All in One Computers, like the Commodore PET and the TRS 80 Model 4? I love these guys!

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I'm not entirely sure if the Phillips P/330 fits your criteria, but I've love the style of this one!

--Zero

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I've had several all-in-one computers, mainly luggables. Here's a list of ones I've had personal experience with:

*Compaq Portable: The very first successful PC clone. Mine worked as a basic two-floppy computer, but adding a hard drive card proved to be beyond the capabilities of the internal power supply. Ended up giving it to a friend.

*TRS-80 Model 4: The highest evolution of the original TRS-80 series, and works fairly well. I've also had the "luggable" equivalent, the Model 4P, but it had some serious hardware issues.

*Apple Lisa 2: The computer pictured in my avatar, and the successor of the original Apple Lisa, considered the first consumer computer with a GUI. Not a whole lot of Apple Lisa computers were sold, especially at the initial selling price of $10,000. Several Lisas were eventually buried in a Utah landfill in the mid '80s. Mine was converted by a company called Sun Remarketing to emulate a Macintosh Plus, complete with an internal 20MB hard drive; unfortunately, the vintage Microscribe drive has seen far better days.

*Commodore SX-64: Basically, the SX-64 is a Commodore 64, one Commodore 1541 disk drive, and a 5" color monitor (it's considered to be the first portable color computer, though the term "portable" is used loosely, as with most luggables) crammed into a semiportable enclosure. Despite the small screen, the graphics are quite sharp. A version with two disk drives (dubbed the DX-64) was originally planned, but later dropped.

Other notable all-in-ones:
    *Kaypro 2 and Kaypro 4 (popular CP/M-based all-in-ones)
    *Osborne 1 (one of the first "portable" computers; also CP/M-based)
    *IBM 5100 (one of the first all-in-ones; predates the IBM PC)
    *IBM Portable (luggable version of the IBM PC)
    *Commodore PET series (including the Educator 64, a Commodore 64 mounted in a PET case, with a monochrome screen)
    *Apple Macintosh (the Mac that started it all)
    *TRS-80 Model II and Model III (successors of the original TRS-80 Model 1)
    *Otrona Attache (able to run both CP/M and MS-DOS)

Hope this helps.
    -Adam

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAnt316
    [My Lisa 2] was converted by a company called Sun Remarketing to emulate a Macintosh Plus, complete with an internal 20MB hard drive; unfortunately, the vintage Microscribe drive has seen far better days.
    Considering how rare Lisa's are, isn't it kind of a waste to have it converted to a regular Mac? Or can you still run LISA OS on it as well?

As for the hard drive, I would imagine you could probably replace it... unless it's some custom thing... and even then, I guess migrating the data over might be a bit of a problem.

--Zero

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Considering how rare Lisa's are, isn't it kind of a waste to have it converted to a regular Mac? Or can you still run LISA OS on it as well?
    The conversion was done long before I acquired the Lisa, likely back in the mid-late '80s. What they did was, install a ROM which allowed the Lisa to display square pixels (the original display view was rectangular pixels, making the screen taller than it was wide), and a piece of software called MacWorks, which allowed it to emulate a Mac, and run System 6.0.8. Unfortunately, due to the upgraded ROM, I wouldn't be able to run Lisa OS unless I found an original type ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    As for the hard drive, I would imagine you could probably replace it... unless it's some custom thing... and even then, I guess migrating the data over might be a bit of a problem.
    I have a copy of the MacWorks software, as well as a Seagate hard drive of the same type as the existing Microscribe drive, but I have not yet figured out how to format the new hard drive so that it will work with this machine. Perhaps someday, I will figure it out, and be able to bring the Lisa back to full working condition.
    -Adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I'd love to have an Educator 64 with a color screen. Probably cost an arm and a leg to put one in though