Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Phantasy Star Universe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never mind, figured it out... for some reason you have to go through the PSO BB link to do it, go figs. Happy me!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up for PS2 today. I was actually going to hold off, but a friend of mine gave me his ps2 network adapter and HDD FREE! Being a huge fan of PSO, how could I pass it up? I'll probably play around offline for a while, as I need a long ethernet cable before I can hook it up.

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found that it was very easy to purchase the Guardians license through Xbox live marketplace.

1. Sign into live.

2. Turn the game on

3. Choose to play on Xbox live.

4. Option given to "go purchase" your License from XBL Marketplace.

EASY!

Played the hell out of it tonight before the servers went down for maintenance. I think I got upto level 9.

My forces name is "Serendipity"
    I'll eventually make a ranger named "Captain Nintendo"

I just needed to make a support force becuase seemingly nobody else understands that role

Captain Nintendo is my XBL name. Look me up if you want to play some time.

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got in a 2.5 hour play session last night (PS2).

Random thoughts:

I have to say it's confusing to find your way around. Signs would have been nice.

People don't seem very socialable during missions, only in the lobby.

Synthesizing seems complicated.
    The tutorial doesn't seem very useful to me.
    I liked the graphics and the controls of PSO DC better, but I'm getting used to them. What happened to the rhythmic button presses of the DC? One attack button makes this game a button masher.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits
    What happened to the rhythmic button presses of the DC? One attack button makes this game a button masher.
    Wow, say it ain't so! That was a HUGE part of what made the DC/Cube games so utterly addicting for me. If they removed that I might return the game. ;(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy Hits
    Got in a 2.5 hour play session last night (PS2).

Random thoughts:

I have to say it's confusing to find your way around. Signs would have been nice.
    There are signs...

People don't seem very socialable during missions, only in the lobby.
    Totally opposite experience here

Synthesizing seems complicated.
    No more complicated than any other MMO game that has crafting. Collect a variety of different types of materials, get a recipe (board for your personal machine) and make your item. Only thing new is the limited uses each recipe/board gives you.

The tutorial doesn't seem very useful to me.
    Did you play through the whole tutorial? If you did, you wouldn't have trouble finding your way around- it shows you where everything is.

What happened to the rhythmic button presses of the DC? One attack button makes this game a button masher.
    The faster weapons you can mash, but bigger weapons you have to have the correct timing. Even fast weapons you strike faster if you use the right timing than if you mash.

Also, what do you mean one attack button? Attack, special attack, and left-hand attack are all different buttons. Add holding down another button to strafe, and I've actually been trying to find the skill to use four buttons in the same combo (hold down "left" to strafe, hold down "up" to keep my left hand weapon drawn, fire with "down" and use my special with "right"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Been playing single player myself, haven't gone online just yet. Xbox 360 version btw.

Initial impressions "i'm on chapter 3 in story mode":

The story is much more in depth than the original. I would so far rate the story along the same lines of a Zelda game, simple but effective. The voice aciting is above average.

The graphics are a mixed bag. Good animations and movement, average texture quality with some bad pixelation in areas, overall not very impressive, especially for a 360 game, slowdown in spots don't help.

The music is a nice mix, yeah I like the music, it's as hypnotic as the original with a better mix.

Lastly the contols...in one word...better. This really brings it together for me, I like the way combat feels and with the way enemies move it works. You can start swinging the sword in a 3 combo attack and change direction while swinging, pull both top trigger and start firing your gun.

All in all, it's adequet so far. The cities look MUCH better, the controls are much more flexible, and the addiction is still there even if it doesn't look exactly like a next gen game.

I would at this point recommend it to fans of PSO, but don't get your hopes TOO high, I would say think PSO with more of an rpg feel. PSO 1.5 seems about right to me as well.

Now I just gotta figure out the robot in my room, the synchro, and all this other stuff, lol. Btw, there are so MANY FUCKING SHOPS. If you like shopping, haha, you gonna love all the new shops ><.

Btw, I heard you can set up your own shops online....is this true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Excellent single player game, the bit that I've played so far.

I just wish Sega would spring to hire some real voice actors for a change, but the fun-factor definitely helps me overlook it.

So I haven't bought my hunter's liscense yet... Is it worth it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Dunno, gonna get mine soon though, cause the more I play the more i'm getting jazzed to go online.

Looks like scape dolls are more rare now, the shop wants to buy mine for 5000 meseta =D.

Also just got told by an npc that wands can be equipped with 2 technics and rods can be equipped with 4. Interesting...

Getting more so by the minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

UGH - the J-pop is killing me.

But I love how the chapters play out like TV episodes.

".....On the next chapter of Phantasy Star Universe."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm so immersed now man it's not even funny I can feel my life being sucked into this game.

Just found out you can team up with npc's offline to form parties and you can actually CHANGE YOUR FREAKIN CLASS!

Not sure how it work, but supposedly with 1 charactert you can be a Hunter, Ranger, and a Force, you just have to pay meseta to change class. So you can change classes infinetely, not sure of the reprecussions or how the leveling changes or whatnot, but that's just too sweet.

Btw...WHat J-pop? You mean the standard music? Haven't heard that I don't think. I saw that there is a club though, lol. Must be only online it syas it's closed =(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd
    Btw...WHat J-pop? You mean the standard music? Haven't heard that I don't think. I saw that there is a club though, lol. Must be only online it syas it's closed =(
    The cutscene and intro music.

The in-game music is still great. Not as dreamy and futuristic sounding as the Dreamcast music, but still good.

Yeah... I'll definately be getting a hunters liscense tonight or tomorrow.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd

Btw, I heard you can set up your own shops online....is this true?
    Yup, you can dump all your unwanted items into it. It'll even be operable when you're offline, and then update what's been sold when you log on again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I got this for PC and have been playing it a lot. My name is Linear, a lvl 13 Hunter. I hang out on Universe 5 with the goons so parties are always lively

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Universe 12, I play as DeeCee, the woman plays as Cola and Tea, she will probably also make Coffee, and I'm gonna make an android here eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I played a little of the beta... dont think Ill pay 10$ month for the honor.

Especially since Eternal Tune will let you kill all the monsters and then steal all of the items/health etc.

Im gonna throw hot grease in her face.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The economics are veeeeeery very different than PSO.

For instance, weapon drops are rare (I've picked up 2 weapons while fighting so far in 10 hours of play) and I haven't seen any armor drop. Nothing else you pick up really sells for a lot of meseta, so most of your money comes from picking up meseta drops.

And everything is VERY very expensive in the shops.

There are player shops, but the system is incredibly clunky. From your personal room, you can either

a) visit stores you've visited before
    b) search by item
    c) search by advertisement
    d) search by something else, I forgot...

But all you get is a list of stores that match your search- you DON'T get prices! So you have to go to that room, which takes a short load, check in their store and see how much it costs. Then you can't even go from that store to a different store, you have to go BACK to your room first!

Very very clunky and slow.

Also, because of the lack of meseta coming from hunting, and the necessity of gathering materials for synthesizing, grouping up seems counter-productive... you might get a little more exp (the exp from much harder monsters is nowhere near as much as you'd expect... I can kill a monster in 1 hit that gives me 8 exp, but a monster that literally takes me 2 minutes to kill (by myself) gives me 16. Even grouping up for even harder monsters didn't net me more than 15-20 exp per kill at the most...

It really seems like the balance is off... not balance between classes, but the balance of exp to material goods that should keep a game like this moving forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For instance, weapon drops are rare (I've picked up 2 weapons while fighting so far in 10 hours of play) and I haven't seen any armor drop. Nothing else you pick up really sells for a lot of meseta, so most of your money comes from picking up meseta drops.

There are player shops, but the system is incredibly clunky. From your personal room, you can either

b) search by item

But all you get is a list of stores that match your search- you DON'T get prices! So you have to go to that room, which takes a short load, check in their store and see how much it costs. Then you can't even go from that store to a different store, you have to go BACK to your room first!

Also, because of the lack of meseta coming from hunting, and the necessity of gathering materials for synthesizing, grouping up seems counter-productive... you might get a little more exp (the exp from much harder monsters is nowhere near as much as you'd expect... I can kill a monster in 1 hit that gives me 8 exp, but a monster that literally takes me 2 minutes to kill (by myself) gives me 16. Even grouping up for even harder monsters didn't net me more than 15-20 exp per kill at the most...

It really seems like the balance is off... not balance between classes, but the balance of exp to material goods that should keep a game like this moving forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

b) search by item

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

argh, sorry... stupid debug message.

BTW, combat as a whole is tons of fun, and the bosses rock!