Thread: Shops In Ohio?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Shops In Ohio?

Hey guys. I need some help here.

A couple of years ago, the only shop I ever seemed to need (Video Trader in Lancaster, OH) closed it's doors because I was one of the few people keeping it open. The old man behind the counter preferred pinball, but was always helpful and was able to get just about anything I requested.

I then started hitting up the Video Trader in Heath, but my first visit in a year or so this past weekend has led me to believe that it sucks now. They no longer stock a lot of older systems and stopped buying import games, carrying the current generation of stuff, NES, SNES, GG, Genny, and sports titles for other systems. Also, the guy running it that day looked like a generic stoner who plays Halo 24/7. Explains the change of general stock. >.>

Really sucks, because the Heath store was pretty awesome up until that visit.

So I'm looking for some cool stores dealing in New/Used classic games. I'm currently looking for NES, PCE/Turbo Duo, Genny, SNES, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, and some other random stuff. Other stores with awesome (or even reasonable prices) on current era stuff are good, too.

I'm located in central/south east Ohio, but I'm willing to travel just about anywhere in Ohio once in a while, especially with the dropping gas prices. Parkersburgh and other cities a couple hours East of Ohio are not out of the question.

Please don't direct me to stores that suck. ><

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

game swap in cincinati (eastgate and tri county malls)
    game junkie north of cincinnati
    haven games in columbus (city center mall)
    video games express south of columbus

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, man. Any of them really worthwhile in particular?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

game stores are really a grab bag. it depends on what you are looking for, though all of those stores have a nice variety of classic games and imports

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

brian's video trader is a great store (the store in heath). if you are looking for particular games, be sure to ask brian as he keeps a lot of the better items. they dont stock imports, to my knowledge, though. there is a store in newark (trading zone I think) over next to the meijers, they are ok at best. lots of stuff, but mostly garbage. if you dont mind going to zanesville, there is a place called coin mart that is surprisingly decent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mike Gedeon's Video Game Connection in Cleveland.

Bud Street Video in Sharon, Pennsylvania has a great selection of NES - PS1. Plus, if you end up in Sharon, there are a ton of pawn shops that will have related items. (Plus, Quaker Steak & Lube, for the best wings you'll find anywhere.)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MrSmiley381
    PSN
    MrSmiley381

I live near Cleveland. Here are good places:

Jamie's Flea market in South Amherst: Got some good guys there on occasion. Across the street next to "Farmer Boy's Market" my bud is opening a shop.

James' Games: Guy in Lakewood. He's a complete asshole, but his stuff is CHEAP. Sometimes sells at Jamie's Flea market and some Cleveland Flea Market.

Flashback: It's somewhere near me. They kinda suck now. Would be a good idea to drop in when they go out of business, though.

Fun City: I forget where this is, but they've got some good stuff. Across the street is also a great comic store.

That's all of the Ohio stores I'm familiar with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    haven games in columbus (city center mall)
    video games express south of columbus
    Where is the VGE south of Columbus? I live in Chillicothe and I'm not sure where your talking about. Also, if you go to the City Center Mall don't go after dark. Scary place that city center. Lots of bad activity downtown after dark.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

the VGE south of Columbus is in Grovetucky errr...Grove City

ANd as someone who works in downtown Columbus, and after dark a lot, I gotta say that it's reputation is a bit overblown
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I spent some time walking in Columbus after dark when I was a skinny, white teenager. Never had a single problem. Most people seemed pretty nice and friendly, but definitely drunk.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Going to have to plan a massive road trip some weekend. ^^

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't Buyatari have stores in Ohio?
    NintendoAGE - The best NES database engine available on the net!

My Collection - Well, kinda. One of these days I will actually get a pic of the whole collection and post it on there. Until then, I only have a few games in there with some additional collection info stuff.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    While you might find something at Game Swap, they're overpriced on anything that's remotely rare or HTF.

Game Junkie doesn't do much prior to the current gen(PS2 and the like), but they do have some [grossly overpriced] imports. Usually the popular stuff, like Naruto and things of that nature. Not worth checking out, IMO.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey... i live in columbus, and could probably tell you every 'mom and pop' game shop in columbus, and its surrounding area... i do deliveries all day over central ohio and make it a point to keep any eye out for game stores...and im not talkin about "game stops" or "eb games"... Grove city, Hilliard, Reynoldsburg, north of Dublin, Grandview, Victorian Village and Mt Vernon are places that pop up in my mind that contain some of the older stuff you may be looking for... Bowling Green also HAS one of the greater selections of retro systems ive seen...
    get back to me by email or yahoo Im, or myspace... ill be able to give more accurate locations..
    dj@lowscore.net
    myspace.com/djgullette
    or beastie2x@yahoo.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj2times
    hey... i live in columbus, and could probably tell you every 'mom and pop' game shop in columbus, and its surrounding area... i do deliveries all day over central ohio and make it a point to keep any eye out for game stores...and im not talkin about "game stops" or "eb games"... Grove city, Hilliard, Reynoldsburg, north of Dublin, Grandview, Victorian Village and Mt Vernon are places that pop up in my mind that contain some of the older stuff you may be looking for... Bowling Green also HAS one of the greater selections of retro systems ive seen...
    get back to me by email or yahoo Im, or myspace... ill be able to give more accurate locations..
    dj@lowscore.net
    myspace.com/djgullette
    or beastie2x@yahoo.com
    Dude....I live in Chillicothe. If you come up with some kind of map or something I'd be really interested in seeing it. I make it to Columbus about once a month or so . I know of a few and they are chain stores. Let me know. Thanks!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Video Games Express in Gove City is off Stringtown Rd. Just a short ways from 270 and I-71. They occassionally have some good stuff but generally the inventory on older games changes little. If your in the area I'd stop. West Point Video Games in Hilliard (Rome-Hilliard Rd.) is a nice store with a small amount of old stuff, but focuses on newer systems and DVD's.

Theres a place in Pickerington that I have not been to in a long while. Went down the drain...

Reynoldsberg has a place in a mall off Bryce Rd. If it's still there it's probably lifeless.

Older games are becoming really difficult to find for me too.

Later,
    Trebuken

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by CYRiX
    www.vgmx.com
    Only if you want music CD's and to deal with kids behind the counter...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the one in the Brice Outlet Mall is gone. It used to be Funcoland then it changed to Game Stop. When Sams Club left the mall there were a few stores that went with it. It think Game Stop was one of them. I think there is a Game Crazy on South High Street on the west side of the street. I think it is in the same shopping center as a big Salvation Army. The Game Crazy is a stand alone building though, close to the street. It's not in the strip of stores. The Salvo is on the far left end of the parking lot. It's huge, you can't miss it.

Furthur up High Street on the right (way before downtown) there is a V.O.A. (Volunteers Of America). I've found a few deals there before.

Also, down in Cinci I found a game store in the same shopping center with Target. It's just off the I71 exit just past the Kings Island exit. Take the exit and turn left then left again. I don't remember if it's a VGE or what. It's a chain whatever it is but I remember that it isn't a Game Crazy.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

The Video Trader in Brice Outlet mall had gone to Pataskala, but is back now (as of 6 weeks ago, last time I've been around). Although it might be new owners...

The Gamestop (actually the first Funcoland store in Columbus way back when) was in the Consumer's Square Mall across the street from Brice Outlet, it is now near the Kohl's on Hamilton

The thrifts on High Street are barren as far as video games go...the Ohio Thrift Store on Alum Creek sometimes has some common 2600 and Genny carts, but nothing major.

I forgot about Westpointe on Hilliard / New Rome. Great store, decent selection of NES, and the cheapest Magic cards in town.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll comment on the those Cincinnatti stores...as I'm in that area (yeah, Cincinnatti is probably spelled wrong...as well...i'm not from here).

Game Swap--Though I'll agree that they're overpriced on anything that's somewhat rare, their prices are negotiable. As long as you don't talk to their dumber employees. You can get great deals on anceint (pre NES) stuff there.

Game Junkie--This store blows hard. They advertise themselves as the biggest gaming something or other in the area. They just blow. My friend and I went down there to check it out...and were horribly underwhelmed. Horrible selection (nothing classic, and their newer selection isn't great either)...and well...I saw maybe 1 import.

I live in columbus...and well...I just can't buy games there anymore. I'm pissed that VGE closed their Westerville store (as I live in Westerville).
    Death to Bill and Ted!