Thread: for eBay listings is it ok...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default for eBay listings is it ok...

-I know you can write "This game went for $80 last month" but can you write "There's only one other copy on eBay right now, and it's starting at 40.00!" ?

-Have youtube links so bidders can see gameplay?

-in-game screen shots are OK right? I rarely see auctions showing gameplay pics so I'm wondering if it's against the rules of eBay or not

Just double checking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: for eBay listings is it ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    -I know you can write "This game went for $80 last month" but can you write "There's only one other copy on eBay right now, and it's starting at 40.00!" ?

-Have youtube links so bidders can see gameplay?

-in-game screen shots are OK right? I rarely see auctions showing gameplay pics so I'm wondering if it's against the rules of eBay or not

Just double checking.
    1) I've seen people do it all the time. I've done it myself even.. as long as you don't get specific about other bidders. Having said that though.. I've even seen people "link" to past auctions and not get pulled or anything.

2) The main thing I believe eBay frowns on is "offsite" linking (though I've been told one can get around it if they know HTML and script). Which is why you never see a direct link to someone's "outside" store.. unless it's an eBay store.. of course. Outside linking ("hyperlinking") to a youtube page or video is frowned upon. Most people get around that by simply typing out a URL without hyperlinking it (kind of the opposite of what DP'ers scream about).

3) In-game screenshots are fine as long as you're posting them in your auction.. whether you let eBay store the shot.. or you make it come up in the auction linked to your own outside storage spot.. which.. once again.. is not the same as hyperlinking.

eBay doesn't like anything hyperlinked off their site simply because one can fool people to clicking on it and redirecting them to an offsite page which may or may not be harmful to them or solicitous. At least.. that's what one would think. I'm sure that's the "excuse" they'd give you as well.
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did an embedded utube video of me playing a game and the auction went fine...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

They yell at you if you mention -other stores-. Sites like Youtube, which don't really make money other than with ads, should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MichaeltheGreat
    I did an embedded utube video of me playing a game and the auction went fine...
    That's because you "embedded" it; and didn't hyper-link to it. There's a difference. Hyperlinking takes one offsite and eBay doesn't like their minions going offsite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, everything Scorch said in his first post is correct. Ebay used to allow off-site linking to your personal web-store, as long as the link didn't offer to sell the same item you had listed on ebay. They stopped allowing that when they starting heavily pushing the Ebay Stores on people.

It's one of those ebay policies that doesn't seem to be enforced unless someone goes out of their way to report you.
    ________
    Suzuki Rgv250 History
    Last edited by ryborg; 05-08-2011 at 05:36 PM.