Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii to launch November 19th at $249.99

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo Wii to launch November 19th at $249.99

Articles in the New York Times and Seattle Post that will appear in tomorrows versions will spill the beans that the Nintendo Wii will launch on November 19th for $249.99 in North America. And for the first time since the Sega Saturn a major U.S. console release will include a pack in game, Wii Sports. No word yet on one controller or two. This hasn't been 100 percent confirmed yet, but this appears legit.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't want Wii Sports.....people talk about sony and MS shoving stuff down your throat. Wouldn't the system be alot cheaper without a game? Also I would rather have two controllers instead of Wii Sports, or maybe the regular style controller and a Wiimote.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My apologies to PapaStu who reported this in the Japan Wii Conference Chat thread. I didn't read that thread all the way and I didn't notice that he already broke the news. My bad. Anywho, we can use this thread to discuss our reactions to the price and pack in game and other various details that will come out tomorrow.

As for my person reaction to the price, I was really, really, really hoping for $199. If it was $199, I would buy it without hesitation, at $249, it becomes more of a decision making process. $199 would have been a no brainer purchase, but now I must actually think about it for awhile. The fact that Wii sports is the pack in, does soften the blow a little bit, but for me it doesn't take it back into the "no brainer" category that $199 would have taken it. I don't purchase games, I rent them, so being forced to purchase Wii sports is not my preference. Also, I don't look at Wii sports as being a $49.99 game anyways. I think of it more like a $39.99 or $34.99 type of game.

Having said all of that, if it has 2 controllers packed in as well, then it's back into the "no brainer" category and if it has component cables packed in, that's a special bonus. But I'm thinking it's one controller and no component cables, so that brings me back to reality and back to somewhat of a dissapointment over the news. I guess we will just have to wait for all the official details.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to mention the release date. I find it very odd that they would be releasing the system two days after the PS3. That doesn't make very much sense to me. I thought it was coming out in mid to late October, to steal the PS3's thunder. There are going to be a few gamers that would have gotten a Wii, that aren't going to be able to, because they are going to be totally broke by the 19th, because they will be in severe debt after getting the PS3. Sure there are only so many PS3's to be able to buy, so this isn't that big a factor but still. Had they come out well before the PS3, the exact opposite could have happened. You would have people who were saving up for the PS3, that won't be able to overcome the temptation for the Wii, and after buying a Wii and a couple of games and accessories, they won't have the $$$ needed for the PS3, and will have to scap their plans to get a PS3.

Oh well, I guess the good part of it for Nintendo, is the fact that there are going to be hundreds of thousands of people who really wanted the PS3, but couldn't get one, and two days later the Wii is going to be available and it's going to look mighty tempting, so that might be part of their strategy. All the empty handed gamers that miss out on the PS3, can fall back on the Wii, so maybe everything will balance out for them. I wonder if the development of Zelda played a part in this. Everything was pointing to mid October or late October and we go from that to November 19th, it's just kinda strange.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no that is false, this is

http://tinyurl.com/kmsyw

EDIT BY GAC: Linkage was Wayyyyy too long. Please learn how to use http://tinyurl.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is too much. All Microsoft has to do is lower their price by $50 and they will have a much more powerful system for the same price. I expected the Wii to be the same price as every other Nintendo console at launch ($200), or more likely cheaper, seeing as though it's a bit lacking in the hardware department. The only thing that has an excuse to be expensive are the controllers. Not that I think any of the other systems are better deals, they are all too expensive. Maybe I will get a Vectrex or something instead.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the Japan release date. In the link above.

December 2nd for 25,000 Y(Roughly $212 USD).

Contents include:

System
    Stand
    Sensor
    Remote
    Attachment(Nunchuck)
    Batteries

Japanese system is not packaged with Wii Sports.
    - MarkMan
    www.SDTEKKEN.com - SAN DIEGO TEKKEN
    www.tekkenzaibatsu.com - Tekken Zaibatsu

Idle

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Goodness, Nintendo is going to screw themselves AGAIN if they price that thing too high. The Virtual Console prices, especially for the NES titles, is crazy high in US dollars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am still quite excited!!!!

Did anybody REALLY expect the virtual console titles to be any cheaper than that? $250 is a smidge too much but i'll be getting mine on December 2.... 25K yen ain't so bad! Just hope I can get one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know I was caught up in all of the speculation of lower prices, and the date is about a month later than I had hoped but don't you think your being harsh on Nintendo? They are still offering a next-gen experience at a considerably lower price and keeping all other games at $50 going against the new standard of $60 for next-gen titles.

As for Wii Sports: The pack-in gives great examples of the extent of the Wii-motes abilities in a easy to understand form. It follows the "getting everyone gaming" philosophy that Nintendo has been swearing to uphold.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dskillz
    the "getting everyone gaming" philosophy that Nintendo has been swearing to uphold.

If they want to get everyone gaming, then they better put 2 Wii-motes in the box. If there are 2 Wii-motes in the box, then I'm very happy, and have no problems at all with the $249.99 price.

I also don't have a problem with the $249.99 price if they put Wii Sports in the box along with Component cables too. But if it's Wii Sports and a S-Video cable or some crap like that, then I'm pretty dissapointed. Wii Sports is a $39.99 title at best, and it's a game I wouldn't have purchased anyway. I'm a rental only guy, at least until games are $19.99 or so.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

check this out www.wii.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

does the Wii have 5.1 audio
    because I ready have Component cable from the game cube

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Operating system nuff said

First of all, The Wii from the get go is not going for a graphics whore approach. I think that packing in component cables would not benifit the core audience of the Nintendo owners. I personally am happy that it does come with a pack in game and for $250. One thing that has not talked about is the operating system. Yep, you now can go on the internet, but I am sure that it will have it limitations. Opera software is also coming with the Wii. Nintendo is still thinking smart, after a few days, the PS3 will be a fond memory and will not be seen on shelves, leaving the 360 and Wii to be readily available. The download pricing scheme seems high, but hey, to the average non collector that price seems pretty good I bet. I still think the system is going to clean house this christmas IF they can have enough product on the shelves.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gamecube launch was right around the same time as the Xbox, and if you remember, Nintendo offered no punishment for stores who broke street date at that time. I can only imagine that the wii will be exactly the same.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm....

That video was cool...I hope they have a US version; many of those Japanese flavored games seem hokey to me.

I agree that the date is a good one. No PS3's will be available. People will walk in the stores to get one, see that none are left, and pick up a Wii instead, after all it's much cheaper.

I am irked that neither Metroid 3 or Zelda look like they will be available on day 1. Zelda must be finished...it's been forever. They probably just want enough units on the street before releasing the game.

For those wanting, and able, to get both systems at launch, we need to be prepared for bankruptcy though. I usually have to work insane ours for Thanksgiving, having to wait in line or go to a midnight launch sale will likely put me in a coma.

I thought I heard about the classic games getting a facelift for launch. This might make the pricing worthwhile. 30 classics at launch? I bet there will be a Zelda in that list...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, looks like I won't be buying one after all, at least not untill I can get the system without Wii Sports, or they bundle in a game I actually care about.

I like the idea of not having a pack in game, it allows you to pick a game you really want instead of being forced to get some crap.

The $249 doesn't bother me, because really, if it was $199, with no game, you'd be back up to $249 after getting a game, but at least it would be one that you wanted.

I'll get the component cable as soon as it's available though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We also have to keep in mind that the North American conference isn't until later today. Nintendo might announce a core package, more bundles, etc. etc.

About the pack in game, if it is the only way I am getting a Wii, then I'm fine with it. Besides, I was going to pick up Wii Sports anyway...so why not get it in a bundle?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll go ahead and post this as a second post.(for some reason the edit button is not showing up) I just came across the launch line up for November 19.

Trauma Center (Atlus)
    Elebits (Konami)
    Machikuru Domino (Success)
    Necro-Nesia (Spike)
    Super Monkey Ball Uki-Uki Party Shuugoh (Sega)
    Swing Golf Panya (Tecmo)
    Wing Island (Hudson)
    Kororinpa (Hudson)
    SD Gundam REVOLUTION (Bandai Namco)
    Ennichi no Tatsujin (Bandai Namco)
    Tamagotchi no Pika Pika Daito-ryo-! (Bandai Namco)
    Red Steel (Ubisoft)
    Wii Sports (Nintendo)
    Odoru Made In Wario (Nintendo)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
    Hajimete no Wii (Nintendo)
    Of course, some will be Japan only releases. But this is a general idea of what you will be able to pick up with an extra $40-$50.