Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii to launch November 19th at $249.99

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with most of what klausien has said with a few minor disagreements that amount to nothing.

I wanted to add that for people who are complaining about no internal memory, though some consumers will have to pay extra to save, Nintendo has TRIED to use formats people already own. With the popularity of Digital Cameras, most people have one or more SD cards, and previous GameCube owners can still use their memory cards as well.

Also people who were hoping for an included "classic" controller, hopefully you have a Gamecube and you really don't need that then. Otherwise, It does suck a little you have to pay more. Hopefully many of these games will have alterante control schemes so players can use a game cube control if they can't afford extra controllers right away.

If I by some miracle have the money when this lauches, I'm jumping aboard right quick. I may even trade in my Cube and Xbox and all Xbox games so that I can pick this up. This is the only new console that interest me at all. PS3 and 360 have flashy graphics, sound I can't even use, and the same tired gameplay I've been ignoring for what feels like forever. This product is a bargain and truly inspiring to boot. My non-gamer wife wants one even more than I do and Wii sports to her is worht more than the system itself. She loves interactive controllers like guns or the wii-mote and she loves simple easy to understand games like bowling and Tennis. I may choose NOT to by one only to keep her off my gaming TV so that I can play.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With that many systems at launch, do you think we'll need to pre-order? Or should showing up on launch day with my wallet be enough?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo
    I may even trade in my Cube and Xbox and all Xbox games so that I can pick this up. This is the only new console that interest me at all.
    I'll buy it off you - don't trade it up!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter
    I may even trade in my Cube and Xbox and all Xbox games so that I can pick this up. This is the only new console that interest me at all.
    er, I mean the xbox I already have the gamecube.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few things I have to note:

A big to all the idiots that honestly thought Nintendo was going to just give away their NES, SNES, and N64 library for FREE on the Wii. Anyone with half a brain could see that would be a silly business decision on their part not to charge for their older properties.

A big WTF to ANYONE complaining about prices these days. The guy who wrote about inflation hit the nail on the head, $249.99 nowadays is nothing. At the very least we have an extra game. Nintendo also knows money is made off of extra accessories. Microsoft thrives off that. Check the NPD data for Microsoft 360 Wireless Controllers and see how many have been sold. Nintendo's are going to go through the roof as well.

Compare this $249.99 price point with the XBOX Core System at $299.99 with nothing, the $499.99 PS3 with nothing, or the higher end $399.99/$599.99 models of XBOX 360 and PS3.

This system is not meant to mimic these systems. Simplistic fun has all been forgotten these days and the Nintendo DS is a marvel at what Nintendo has been able to do to gaming. At the very least, they are not forgetting about games being fun instead of this hokey "I must be realistic trip with my 1080i/P HDTV with my HDMi Cables and High End BBQMAO SuperTV OMG GRAPHICS RoxoRs systems."

I mean, I even saw people complaining about cables in this thread. You realize an HDMi is nothing more than glorified component cables centralized down to one port for easier, cleaner access? Let's go out and pay $100+ for a 3 foot cable, yay! All this talk about PS3 makes me sick. It's basically a media system. Games are more movie-like nowadays, you can't deny that. The "fun" has been gone for awhile, and this new generation of gamers has grown up on super realistic 3D games and basically judging a system solely by its graphic processor, especially when improperly comparing this system to PS3, or marketing it as a "glorified" GameCube.

Bottom line, the three systems are drastically different nowadays to the point where each one will have its own strengths, and 0 weaknesses unless you are comparing game to game, and even then, it's just a storage issue. BluRay has the best storage, disks are pricey. Anyone up for a 2,000 hour RPG? Not me. 360, PS3, and Wii all have something unique to offer, but the whining and moaning about the system not being good before it has even come out is so laughable. Some of these same people ridiculed the Nintendo DS and now I can't find any naysayers for that system at all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$250 with a pack in game, Nintendo is going to become king this winter!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was secretly hoping for under $200, but $250 is great. Even better, they actually have Wii Sports as a pack-in, which means I won't have to spend extra on games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If and when that becomes an issue, I'll give you a PM.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

If and when that becomes an issue, I'll give you a PM.
    Cool beans

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I'm liking the price of the Wii so far and the fact that it has a packin game (which we haven't seen with a console laugh in years) is good. Will the classic controller be seperate too?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

This is almsot as bad as listening to people talk about the price of gas.

Anyways. The only point I have not heard mention is about Wii sports. This game is clearly packed intentionally to get 'Americans' (Japanese don't get the pack in), accustomed to the new controllers, and Nintendo's, hopefully successful, gimmick.

With Zelda as a launch title I doubt Wii sports will be much more than a demonstration, as it was at E3, though it might be fun for a few days...probably more so with a few people...

Later,
    Trebuken

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the Wii is backwards compatiable with Gamecube discs would that mean that the firmware modchips will work with it ?
    Hmmmmmm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I must admit that I was a little disappointed at the price. $250 sounds a bit much for an over-clocked Gamecube. Then, thankfully, I discovered that Wii Sports will be included as a pack-in game. That makes all the difference for me.

I thought $200 would be fine, so $250 for console and game works. This also, I think, situates Nintendo perfectly for when Microsoft or Sony start dropping the prices on their consoles. Sooner or later, Xbox will go down to $300 (let's just forget the cheaper versions, which are completely worthless). Nintendo should be able to either a) introduce the "core" package sans game, or b) bring the pack-in model under $200 or eventually $150.

Bottom line, the Wii console will always be significantly cheaper than the Xbox 360 and the SIX HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS.

Wii Sports is a perfect pack-in game. It's more of a show-off than anything, and lacks the serious depth to compete with other titles. You can't move the players in tennis, for example. So it won't dethrone Virtua Tennis. but as a pack-in, it's a great introduction to the Wii.

Complaints? Sure. $40 for Wiimote and $20 for Nunchuck? You have got to be bloody kidding me. $60 for a fucking game controller? Booooo!!!! What a rip-off. So now I have to start making tactical decisions about my money. I get a couple more Wiimotes for Wii Sports and Excite Truck and maybe Sonic (if it doesn't suck eggs as usual). Then, later on, I score a couple Nunchucks for Madden and Red Steel and Zelda.

Damn. They nickel-and-dime you to death, don't they?

So, here's the final tally. For $250, you get Nintendo Wii, one controller - Wiimote and Nunchuck, Wii Sports - Tennis, Golf, Home Run Derby, Bowling, Boxing, backwards compatibility with the Gamecube library, and online capabilities. That's a very good deal. I like that deal.

I think Nintendo is going to be very successful with Wii.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

region free

wii sports (which i played and loved)

250 price

Wii channels

yea i'm happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR
    A few things I have to note:

A big to all the idiots that honestly thought Nintendo was going to just give away their NES, SNES, and N64 library for FREE on the Wii. Anyone with half a brain could see that would be a silly business decision on their part not to charge for their older properties.

A big WTF to ANYONE complaining about prices these days. The guy who wrote about inflation hit the nail on the head, $249.99 nowadays is nothing. At the very least we have an extra game. Nintendo also knows money is made off of extra accessories. Microsoft thrives off that. Check the NPD data for Microsoft 360 Wireless Controllers and see how many have been sold. Nintendo's are going to go through the roof as well.

Compare this $249.99 price point with the XBOX Core System at $299.99 with nothing, the $499.99 PS3 with nothing, or the higher end $399.99/$599.99 models of XBOX 360 and PS3.

This system is not meant to mimic these systems. Simplistic fun has all been forgotten these days and the Nintendo DS is a marvel at what Nintendo has been able to do to gaming. At the very least, they are not forgetting about games being fun instead of this hokey "I must be realistic trip with my 1080i/P HDTV with my HDMi Cables and High End BBQMAO SuperTV OMG GRAPHICS RoxoRs systems."

I mean, I even saw people complaining about cables in this thread. You realize an HDMi is nothing more than glorified component cables centralized down to one port for easier, cleaner access? Let's go out and pay $100+ for a 3 foot cable, yay! All this talk about PS3 makes me sick. It's basically a media system. Games are more movie-like nowadays, you can't deny that. The "fun" has been gone for awhile, and this new generation of gamers has grown up on super realistic 3D games and basically judging a system solely by its graphic processor, especially when improperly comparing this system to PS3, or marketing it as a "glorified" GameCube.

Bottom line, the three systems are drastically different nowadays to the point where each one will have its own strengths, and 0 weaknesses unless you are comparing game to game, and even then, it's just a storage issue. BluRay has the best storage, disks are pricey. Anyone up for a 2,000 hour RPG? Not me. 360, PS3, and Wii all have something unique to offer, but the whining and moaning about the system not being good before it has even come out is so laughable. Some of these same people ridiculed the Nintendo DS and now I can't find any naysayers for that system at all.
    Preach it brother!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

After reading some of the posts in this thread I guess I should fork over my 249.99 to nintendo and kiss their boots they charged me next to nothing to let me buy their system.

I think 249.99 is a good price point, I just find it sad people are being told not to express their opinions about the price of the console. But there are 100 page threads on the price of PS3 and the 360.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038
    After reading some of the posts in this thread I guess I should fork over my 249.99 to nintendo and kiss their boots they charged me next to nothing to let me buy their system.

I think 249.99 is a good price point, I just find it sad people are being told not to express their opinions about the price of the console. But there are 100 page threads on the price of PS3 and the 360.
    Preach it brother

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins
    Quote Originally Posted by klausien

Wii System with Remote & Nunchuck + Wii Sports - $250

Think about their price point for additional controllers:

Remote - $40
    Nunchuk - $20

So, we have $250-$60=$190
    This is bullshit. No game system in history, at least as far as I know, has shipped without some way to control it. One controller is an expected part of the price, not an extra.

Pack in games shouldn't be considered extras to take away from the cost, either. It's still $250.
    Twisted logic to ram home the point that complaining about the price of the Wii is completely unfounded and quite frankly, unrealistic. Of course I am aware that all systems must come with a controller. I am not a dumba$$. The main reason for my breakdown, which seems to have been lost, was that the system itself, when you add what the controller costs to the total, minus the pack-in game priced at what the consensus feels it is worth comes to approximately $200.

Now lets say, $35 for the Wii Sports $290-$155=$155
    I did F-up what I was saying though. Edit button would have saved me there. It was supposed to be $190-$35=$155. Add the $60 back in and you get $215, which is close enough to $199.99 to say it is basically a $200 system at launch; which is truly unheard of. Confused myself. Not the best way to make a point.

The pack-in game, which has been completely absent from a LAUNCH product for over a decade, really is an extra at this point. One you are paying for, yes, but an extra nonetheless. In the case of Wii Sports, why not throw the tech demos in there for free? It would have been a waste not to.

I was also trying to emphasize that the $60 you are paying for the controller is more important than the $155 for the console itself. The little white box really doesn't matter all that much. It might be worth even less if you consider the fact that the sensor, which will most likely not be packaged with extra controllers, is part of the package.

DreamTR said it all much better in his less convoluted post. I have had a lot of pent up energy about this for a while and it exploded in my that post. I haven't been this excited about a system launch since the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remote - $40
    Nunchuk - $20

This is bullshit. No game system in history, at least as far as I know, has shipped without some way to control it. One controller is an expected part of the price, not an extra.

Pack in games shouldn't be considered extras to take away from the cost, either. It's still $250.
    Twisted logic to ram home the point that complaining about the price of the Wii is completely unfounded and quite frankly, unrealistic. Of course I am aware that all systems must come with a controller. I am not a dumba$$. The main reason for my breakdown, which seems to have been lost, was that the system itself, when you add what the controller costs to the total, minus the pack-in game priced at what the consensus feels it is worth comes to approximately $200.

I did F-up what I was saying though. Edit button would have saved me there. It was supposed to be $190-$35=$155. Add the $60 back in and you get $215, which is close enough to $199.99 to say it is basically a $200 system at launch; which is truly unheard of. Confused myself. Not the best way to make a point.

The pack-in game, which has been completely absent from a LAUNCH product for over a decade, really is an extra at this point. One you are paying for, yes, but an extra nonetheless. In the case of Wii Sports, why not throw the tech demos in there for free? It would have been a waste not to.

I was also trying to emphasize that the $60 you are paying for the controller is more important than the $155 for the console itself. The little white box really doesn't matter all that much. It might be worth even less if you consider the fact that the sensor, which will most likely not be packaged with extra controllers, is part of the package.

DreamTR said it all much better in his less convoluted post. I have had a lot of pent up energy about this for a while and it exploded in my that post. I haven't been this excited about a system launch since the SNES.
    it dosn't matter. their is alwasy somebody ready to bitch about anything. be happy and don't care about them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remote - $40
    Nunchuk - $20

it dosn't matter. their is alwasy somebody ready to bitch about anything. be happy and don't care about them.