Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RUMOR: Xbox 360 Core system to drop to $249.99 on Nov 1st

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RUMOR: Xbox 360 Core system to drop to $249.99 on Nov 1st

With Nintendo pricing their Wii at $249.99, I would be absolutely shocked if Microsoft doesn't take full advantage of the situation. All they have to do is drop the price of the Core system by $50, and they can have a direct head to head comparison with the Nintendo Wii. Some people will say that they are competing for two different kinds of gamers, and two different kinds of markets, but I beg to differ. Both companies are trying to sell their systems to gamers that happen to have $250 plus tax to spend on a new gaming system.

If the 360 core system and the Nintendo Wii are sitting side by side on the GameStop shelf with a big $249.99 sign in front of each one, then I think it makes the decision making process a little more difficult for gamers that originally had their minds set on getting a Nintendo Wii. Sure, with the Wii you get Wii Sports packed in, (a $34.99 value in my opinion), and you get a fully functional system. (at least I think it's fully functional) Some gamers might need component cables, but it's the same for the 360 core. You have to buy the component cables extra. The Wii comes with the real deal controller, while the 360 tard pack comes with the wired 360 controller. Also, with the 360 tard pack, you pretty much are forced to get a memory card, but no need to get into semantics

The bottom line is that if both systems are sitting there at $249.99, I think it makes it a much more compelling argument. I still would expect most gamers to stick to the idea of getting the Wii, and not waver, but I'm guessing that as many as 3 out of 8 prospective Wii customers could change their mind at the last minute and go with a 360. Let's face it, the Wii has it's advantages and the 360 has it's advantages. The big advantage with the 360, is that you are getting some serious next gen hardware, and you are getting games that aren't quite as "kiddie" in nature. With the Wii, the big advantage is the fact that they are going with a different philosophy and control scheme, and idea around basic, fun games without all the razzle dazzle. It will depend on the gamer. If the gamer likes Nintendo, but isn't so thrilled with all the "kiddie" games, they could easily turn to the dark side. But if the gamer really enjoys the kiddie games, and is really looking forward to the new control scheme, they probably won't waver and will stick to the Wii.

In any event, Microsoft would be absolute idiots not to match the price of the Wii with the core system. As for when they will actually do it, I'm thinking that November 1st is a good time to launch the pre-emptive strike. Also, I think Microsoft should sweeten the deal by adding in 2 free months of Gold Service, as well as 800 free Microsoft points, and also a demo disk with some basic demos of various 360 games. Those freebies will cost MS virtually nothing, but will help then alot when people are making their back and forth comparisons between the Wii and the 360 core package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very misleading title.

That said, I do agree with you that an Xbox 360 core system price drop would be a smart move by Microsoft. It would not only put some pressure on Nintendo, but also make Sony nervous.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

The problem with your thread is as follows:

the title gives the impression that you're reporting on some confirmed news about a price drop when, in fact, you're just speculating.

Maybe you should send a long-winded letter to Microsoft, telling them that's how they oughta run their business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, change that title. Total buzzkill.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... yeah false advertising... HMMMM...
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Title changed by me. This is just speculation.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Very missleading title.

It is great bussiness sense for microsoft to do what you mentioned for the core system. Microsoft has denied this before for this year if I recalled correctly. After finding out the price of the wii, this would be a good move by microsoft. You got problems with this though: The 360 pro system wouldn't be selling of the shelves.

If Microsoft doesn't, they do have a couple good reasons. This could cause a double edge Sword to microsoft. Microsoft looses more money with the Pro System setting on the shelves then the core sytem of the 360. The 360 Pro system costs more to make then the Wii, I think. Halo 3 being delayed hurts this from happening. This is the game people want from the 360. If Halo 3 was released this year, this game will attract gamers away from the wii and the ps 3.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, it's not so misleading since GAC added the word RUMOR to the thread title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

I think the title is still misleading.. It's not a Rumor, its just someones opinion...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Instead of marking it "RUMOR" which has a tendency to reflect that what one is about to read somehow has been leaked by an industry insider, perhaps it should be captioned "IN MY OPINION" instead....and looks like Johno beat me to it.
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I nominate we change the name of the thread to "The Anthony1 Show, Episode 3299"

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In this case its not wrong to use the word "rumor". This is exactly how rumors starts, one (or several) person says something without having the info confirmed, like in this case

I wouldnt be surpised if the did drop the price on the 360 to match the price with Wii. Im sure Microsoft is thinking of something.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, sorry about the title, I was just a little too hyped when I first wrote it.

Certainly, if Microsoft drops the price of the Core system by $50, they will most likely do the same thing with the Premium. Core would be $249.99 and premium would be $349.99. The big downside of course, is that Microsoft is already taking a loss on both packages and dropping the price $50 on each one, would make it that much harsher to their bottom line, but if they are commited to being the No.1 system in this new generation, they absolutely have no choice but to match the price of the Wii on day 1. This is the reason they have the Core in the first place. I remember listening to a IGN podcast in which the editors were talking about how they were talking to some people at Microsoft who came over to show them the new camera and the force feedback steering wheel and the HD-DVD add on unit, and the editors asked them if the core was going to be phased out, and they said absolutely not, that the core was a central, key part to their strategy. Their master plan was to get the core to $199.99 as quickly as they can. Of course they said all of this off the record, while just chatting to the editors while they were setting stuff up.

But based on that, it appears that this was the strategy all along for the Core system. I think if Nintendo priced the Wii at $199, Microsoft wouldn't be forced to match prices, cause that would be too drastic, but with the Wii at $249.99, how could they not do it? And you can't lower the core system by $50 and leave the premium system unchanged. What they could do, is lower the core system by $50 and instead of lowering the premium system, they could put some other goodies in the box. Like maybe putting both PGR3 and Kameo in the box, to try to compensate. Both games are selling for $19.99 and the cost of including them, considering they are first party would be negligiable. It would be nice for them to be at $349.99 though, cause that would almost be half the price of the premium PS3, plus when the HD-DVD add on comes out for $199.99 they can claim to still be lower than the PS3 with the two items combined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

If faced with the choice to buy a 360 or a Wii for $250, I'd still choose the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz
    Very missleading title.

It is great bussiness sense for microsoft to do what you mentioned for the core system. Microsoft has denied this before for this year if I recalled correctly. After finding out the price of the wii, this would be a good move by microsoft. You got problems with this though: The 360 pro system wouldn't be selling of the shelves.

If Microsoft doesn't, they do have a couple good reasons. This could cause a double edge Sword to microsoft. Microsoft looses more money with the Pro System setting on the shelves then the core sytem of the 360. The 360 Pro system costs more to make then the Wii, I think. Halo 3 being delayed hurts this from happening. This is the game people want from the 360. If Halo 3 was released this year, this game will attract gamers away from the wii and the ps 3.
    I thought was missleading before the title was changed to Rumor mill. It sounded like Microsoft made an official Announcement that the core system will being selling for $250.00.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Very missleading title.

I thought was missleading before the title was changed to Rumor mill. It sounded like Microsoft made an official Announcement that the core system will be selling for $250.00.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I think gas prices will keep the price at 300 bucks.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OFFICIAL: Microsoft is not dropping the Core system in price, rather, they are going to be bundling it with Kameo (and I think PGR as well) and keeping it at the same price.

Also, the Pro pack will be coming bundled with Ghost recon and Live Arcade instead of a price drop.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Is the gasprices already at 300 bucks since you use the world "keep"? :P

Anyway, if you want to start another rumor, like the gas prices, post it here instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Quote Originally Posted by s1lence
    Is the gasprices already at 300 bucks since you use the world "keep"? :P

Anyway, if you want to start another rumor, like the gas prices, post it here instead.
    Lol, I was just being sarcastic.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew