Thread: Any chess junkies out there? I have a question for ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any chess junkies out there? I have a question for ya.

Recently, I got the urge to play chess. I could just download some crappy flash version, or just dig right into the newest Chessmaster program.

I am not quite ready to play against other real people, I'd like to learn a bit more about strategies, etc..

What program would you recommend? Chessmaster 10? (I believe that's the newest release.)

Or is there something even more streamlined and complete?

Thanks
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Battle Chess A good old chess game with a twist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    I love Battle Chess A good old chess game with a twist.
    Yeah, I loved that game, too.

I'm looking for more of a complete chess simulator, with tutorials, strategies, etc... though. Just wondering if Chessmaster 10 is the most highly regarded.
    -Mark

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not so into new chess games, but i know of a game called Shredder (not the guy from Turtles ). You might want to check it out

http://www.shredderchess.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've heard something called Xtreme Chess uses the same Fritz algorithm programmed into IBM's Deep Blue. Not sure if it has nice bells and whistles though.

Maybe the classic Kasparov's Gambit?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard of Fritz too, remembered it when it was mentioned.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Any chess junkies out there? I have a question for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
    Recently, I got the urge to play chess. I could just download some crappy flash version, or just dig right into the newest Chessmaster program.

I am not quite ready to play against other real people, I'd like to learn a bit more about strategies, etc..

What program would you recommend? Chessmaster 10? (I believe that's the newest release.)

Or is there something even more streamlined and complete?

Thanks
    Chessmaster 10 is good and has a tutorial mode. That's the standard now I think.

But.. do yourself a favor and get some books. If you're just beginning, I like this book

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Seriously. This program is awesome. I knew how to play chess before, but there are some great tutorials on basic strategy that really helped improve my game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found the best way to learn how to play chess is to simply sit down and have someone teach you. That's how I learned and I've been unbeaten in like 8 years now
    NintendoAGE - The best NES database engine available on the net!

My Collection - Well, kinda. One of these days I will actually get a pic of the whole collection and post it on there. Until then, I only have a few games in there with some additional collection info stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips, guys. This should get me started.

I've played chess a lot, before... since I was young, but never really sat down and learned any real strategy, etc..
    -Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The way I learned how to get better was to buy a few a books that cover most of the bases regarding chess (ie: openings, strategies, end-game, etc.) and a chess set. Read the books and set up the positions that you find in the books to see what they're talking about and the rationale behind it.

I play chess on Yahoo if anyone wants to have a match or whatever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beleive the best thing to get you started is Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess (book). You will learn the rules of the game and then learn how to win. It takes you step by step showing you mating techniques and then giving you examples to practice. By the end of the book you will be thinking 4 moves ahead. This was written in the late 60s and uses the programmed learning technique giving you immediate feedback. Some people will tell you to learn openings and stuff like that but if you don't know how to finish someone off, everything before that is useless. Also it's good to know if someone is close to finishing you off, that way you can avoid it. Also, in the process, you will get to know how the peices operate together as a team.

Then next thing I recomend is a dedicated chess computer chess board with Saiteks, chess challenger being the most top of the line you want to get, preferably something cheaper. This also goes aganst popular advice. The thought is "hey computer programs can beat world champions now so why get these stinky little things???" Well heres why... The modern chess program has been trying to get good... Really good. On a modern computer they can calculate more moves in 1 second than a dedicated board can calculate in 10 minuites. The program is so sophisticated and thinks so deep pulling all kinds of chess knowlodge that even on the easiest levels they will crush you and the reason why will escape you. The only way to make these things beatable by a beginner is for them to blunder or play unnaturally. Then again, you don't learn anything. A dedicated chess board will try as hard as it can just not very well. You will have to think to exploit it's weeknesses just like a human opponent. Speaking of that, you also have a real chessboard now to play with other PEOPLE which should be the whole point.

Then once you can beat these computers, you will be able to "think chess" At that point you can tackle the openings as you will now be able to grasp the concepts behind them. It is a lot easier to remember something when you know the concept rather than "just because". Then, when you have all that, you can start learning from the big programs.

Good Luck.

Joel Schlecht

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default First things first

I beleive the best thing to get you started is Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess (book). You will learn the rules of the game and then learn how to win. It takes you step by step showing you mating techniques and then giving you examples to practice. By the end of the book you will be thinking 4 moves ahead. This was written in the late 60s and uses the programmed learning technique giving you immediate feedback. Some people will tell you to learn openings and stuff like that but if you don't know how to finish someone off, everything before that is useless. Also it's good to know if someone is close to finishing you off, that way you can avoid it. Also, in the process, you will get to know how the peices operate together as a team.

Then next thing I recomend is a dedicated chess computer chess board with Saiteks, chess challenger being the most top of the line you want to get, preferably something cheaper. This also goes aganst popular advice. The thought is "hey computer programs can beat world champions now so why get these stinky little things???" Well heres why... The modern chess program has been trying to get good... Really good. On a modern computer they can calculate more moves in 1 second than a dedicated board can calculate in 10 minuites. The program is so sophisticated and thinks so deep pulling all kinds of chess knowlodge that even on the easiest levels they will crush you and the reason why will escape you. The only way to make these things beatable by a beginner is for them to blunder or play unnaturally. Then again, you don't learn anything. A dedicated chess board will try as hard as it can just not very well. You will have to think to exploit it's weeknesses just like a human opponent. Speaking of that, you also have a real chessboard now to play with other PEOPLE which should be the whole point.

Then once you can beat these computers, you will be able to "think chess" At that point you can tackle the openings as you will now be able to grasp the concepts behind them. It is a lot easier to remember something when you know the concept rather than "just because". Then, when you have all that, you can start learning from the big programs.

Good Luck.

Joel Schlecht

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default xtreme chess

By the way, I have xtreme chess and it is Fritz 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I use WinBoard. I downloaded it from freechess.org (or a link on that site).

It's got multiplayer and a pretty competent CPU player. I really like it thus far.

We should have a chess league or something, really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be interested in some sort of chess tournament or ladder or club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm hardly a pro, but if there is going to be some kind of tourney, I'll sign on for that. maybe I can climb a rung or two before I get kicked... maybe not.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky View Post
    There's a small quirk about that game. Once a pawn reaches the other side it automatically becomes a queen. You're not given a choice as to what to turn it into. While a Queen has some the best features incorporated into one piece it's missing one unique ability, the knight's L move. While it's probably rare in a game, there may be a board situation where you'd want a pawn to become a knight or the game may have to end in a draw.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

if anyone wants to play me in chess, download the chess.com app and search "paulmccabe3" let me know your digitpress ID name so I know who you are