Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Echolocation kid has a Wii

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Echolocation kid has a Wii

I'm sure some of you have heard about the kid that got eye cancer when he was a kid and figured out echolocation to get around in the news the past week or so. Well, on ellen the other day (I have no idea what day) he got a Wii WITH Twilight Princess, along with some other stuff. While I know he boasts that he can play games, I dont know how well he actually can, but this is pretty intresting. I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo has a Wii and TP finished ready to give out 2 months before the release date.

YouTube (crappy quality) link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrkbI_TDOnQ
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why did his mom say "I never let him see me cry"?

And an even bigger question, why did the blind guy say "Oh, Nintendo Wii? I saw that on the internet."

How can he see the stuff on the internet using sound, I hear nothing coming from my monitor.

I'm not saying he's fake (you can see that his eyes are messed up), it's just hard to believe anything on T.V. now.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu

And an even bigger question, why did the blind guy say "Oh, Nintendo Wii? I saw that on the internet."

How can he see the stuff on the internet using sound, I hear nothing coming from my monitor.

I'm not saying he's fake (you can see that his eyes are messed up), it's just hard to believe anything on T.V. now.
    Opera 9. I see plenty of stuff on the internet through my ears. The browser talks to you for people with limited site, or like me, that re just plain lazy.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Echolocation kid has a Wii

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    II just find it hard to believe that Nintendo has a Wii and TP finished ready to give out 2 months before the release date.
    You're right, they push a button and the systems just materialize out of thin air in stores ten minutes before launch.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicnstu

Because, the whole idea was that neither he nor his mom limited him by the conventional definition of sight.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo has a Wii and TP finished ready to give out 2 months before the release date.
    You're right, they push a button and the systems just materialize out of thin air in stores ten minutes before launch.
    Well, if you're going to be a dick for no reason, I guess I'll back myself up a bit.

First off, the chip production started not even a month ago. Just the chip. Who knows what else has yet to start or finish production, we don't. The rumored reason as to why it's coming out in November is because Twilight Princess wasn't close enough to completion to come out any sooner, and Nintendo PROMISED that to be a launch title. I also think that if the game had gone gold, had units pressed, and were waiting to be given away, we'd know something about that. I also think we'd see a lot more of them being given away, like in this case. I think if we were talking 2-3 weeks before the launch, that would be understandable, but concidering it's still 7 weeks away, I just don't buy it.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is kind of off color, but maybe they figured he couldnt play it anyway, and just made a demo with sound. the wii wouldnt really have to work well, just make sounds with each movement of the control.

im going to repent now....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by qbertandernie
    this is kind of off color, but maybe they figured he couldnt play it anyway, and just made a demo with sound.
    There's a bit of a flaw in the theory that game companies make one-off demos for events like this.

Judging from the clip, they used a pre-release system for the giveaway. Just because they aren't making the chips on a large scale until basically now doesn't mean that they don't have any available for special promotions.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So wait, how the hell can he click his tounge and tell the different pixels on the tv screen when he plays video games? In the vid he was playing a fighting game and he wasn't even looking at the screen.

Maybe he clicks to listen to his friend press his controller pad. Yeah that's plausible...
    *Insert famous Towlie quote here*

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Nah, I've read about other blind kids who are able to play games, based on the game sounds, timing, and pure trial and error. One of the few good segments on Attack of the Show featured one such player beating the snot out of Kevin in Mortal Kombat or something like that, then they had a second blind player come in and then they both played against each other.

Just goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you can do anything, no matter what.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo has been doing demos of the Wii by pure magic, they don't have any pre-production demo units for that.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see blind people beating games like Punch out (It's been done) and maybe being good at simple 1 v. 1 fighters. But I just can't see him playing a game like Red steel or aiming the bow in zelda.

Maybe he can sell the system and buy some real eyes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson
    Nah, I've read about other blind kids who are able to play games, based on the game sounds, timing, and pure trial and error. One of the few good segments on Attack of the Show featured one such player beating the snot out of Kevin in Mortal Kombat or something like that, then they had a second blind player come in and then they both played against each other.
    Exactly. They even showed this kid playing a one on one fighter; I don't see how you can get any more explicit than that.

Seems pretty amazing to consider that they are running in their mind a simulation of the game - i.e. calculating how far they must be from their opponent, especially when you consider that their enemy is moving around as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the poop European kids Nintendo !

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're going t hell, dude.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Real eyes will come on the market some day. They experiment with some stuff and they got a blind guy to see some stuff. Off-topic, i know :P

Really cool that he got a Wii. Eventho he might not be able to fully enjoy it he have 4 brothers and sisters. The console itself is most likely finished, but i wonder about the Zelda game. Maybe its some final beta that was compiled just for him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by 189
    You're going t hell, dude.

yea, if this kid is truly not a fraud (he appears to really be "seeing" with his ears) then that was a horrible comment.....if he really can see and is just lying, then he is a dick.....

...either way, if this is true, then that kid is amazing....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I meant it as more of a joke about how much you could sell a wii for before launch. And the stupidity of man not to wait a couple days.

But still, I just cant possibly see him playing a game that requires aim and precision

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo has a Wii and TP finished ready to give out 2 months before the release date.
    Well, if you're going to be a dick for no reason, I guess I'll back myself up a bit.

First off, the chip production started not even a month ago. Just the chip. Who knows what else has yet to start or finish production, we don't. The rumored reason as to why it's coming out in November is because Twilight Princess wasn't close enough to completion to come out any sooner, and Nintendo PROMISED that to be a launch title. I also think that if the game had gone gold, had units pressed, and were waiting to be given away, we'd know something about that. I also think we'd see a lot more of them being given away, like in this case. I think if we were talking 2-3 weeks before the launch, that would be understandable, but concidering it's still 7 weeks away, I just don't buy it.
    I don't know where you have gotten your news, but apparently you aren't a Nintendo Fanboy, so I'll set it straight. Nintendo has had all the chips necessary to produce the Wii since June. Even if oth ATI and IBm had production issues, I'm sure enough were shipped to make one unit for one boy. Also, Twilight Princess was nearly finished last year, as an interview with Aumo (Auma? the Zelda director) explained in Nintendo Power late last year. Shortly after E3, Iwata (Nintendo President) announced that the Wii would go on sale just before Thanksgiving in order to launch with Christmas spending. So in essence, it only makes sense for them to be producing both the Wii and Twilight Princess already.

Especially since Gamestop's and EB's are getting their Wii Kiosks.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I'm probably the only one that would call this kid a Daredevil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic