Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEC systems - can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NEC systems - can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Completely confused by something here, and I have done some research, but I am hoping that someone can make sure that I have this right.

(Please note, I know this isn't in chronological order, I am just listing them)...

US original release was the Turbo Graffix 16, which plays only US cards.

Japan original release was the PC Engine or the PC Engine "Core" system (not sure???), which plays only Japanese HuCards.

US releases Turbo Graffix CD, an add-on which allows play of US CDs.

Japan releases the CD Rom 2, which can interface with the PC Engine, allowing the play of Japanese CDs.

US releases Turbo Duo, which is a combined unit, allowing play of US cards and CDs.

Japan releases the Turbo Duo, a combined unit which allows play of Japanese cards and CDs.

Now here is where it gets very, very fuzzy for me...

Japan releases the SuperGrafx which is a stand alone console that plays the SuperGrafx cards (about 5-7 of them), and all Japanese HuCards.????

Japan also releases the Super CDRom2 system which has an attachment that can allow for the play of HuCard games.????

Then, there are "Super CDs", "Arcade CDs", and system cards that you need to have to play each kind on the system.???

I could use some help here, obviously. This is probably the most confusing bunch of systems to someone who has never owned one of them.

For example, if I were to by a US TurboDuo (black box) - at least I am assuming that it's a US release; I could have that wrong...it would play US cards and US CDs??? Not imports.

Again, please help. It would be cool to get some input, rather than the standard...it's somewhere in a previous forum or something like that.

Thanks for any help.
    Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Japan releases the SuperGrafx which is a stand alone console that plays the SuperGrafx cards (about 5-7 of them), and all Japanese HuCards.????

Yes, that is correct.

Japan also releases the Super CDRom2 system which has an attachment that can allow for the play of HuCard games.????

Super CDRom2 is actually a variety of things. In the beginning, there was a Turbo Grapx/PC Engine. And it was good. Then the CD attachment was released, and it played CD Rom games. And they were good. Then, those good folks at NEC came up with technology that allowed for richer games with less loading time by upgrading the RAM in the turbo/engine cd system. You could by a Super System CD Rom 2 card and put it in your turbo/engine cd game slot, and thus play all the cd games with the Super System CD Rom2 logo on them (such as Dracula X and Shadowgate II). Or, you could buy the Duo, which came with the extra RAM built in (no need to buy a Super System CD Rom2 card).

Then, there are "Super CDs", "Arcade CDs", and system cards that you need to have to play each kind on the system.???

Super System CD Rom 3.0 cards came out a bit after that, but only some games (mostly text-heavy dating sims and horse racing simulations used the extra ram to cut down on loading) used them. Soon after that, Arcade Card Pro cards came out with even more RAM on them, which worked with Fatal Fury and similar fighting games.

I could use some help here, obviously. This is probably the most confusing bunch of systems to someone who has never owned one of them.

For example, if I were to by a US TurboDuo (black box) - at least I am assuming that it's a US release; I could have that wrong...it would play US cards and US CDs??? Not imports.

Well, you're in luck, the system and all its upgrades are confusing if you're new to collecting, but fortunately there are plenty of folks before you who have done their homework and are happy to help you. Now, to answer your question, Duos are regionless; they play Japanese and American CD games. But, an American Duo will only play American HuCards, a Japanese Duo will only play Japanese Hu Cards. You're best bet for being able to play as many games as possible is to get an Japanese Duo and an American TurboGrafx. You play all the japanese cards and american/japanese cdrom2's on the duo, buy Arcade cards or system 3.0 cards if you wish, without needing a converter, and you can play all your American cards on the Grafx. If you've got money to spare, I guess you can buy a converter and not need a grafx, but the converters go for almost as much as an entire system on eBay and most are flimsy pieces of plastic. Might as well get a grafx for $30 instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tetsu,

Although I am dizzy right now, I appreciate the information!

So, for myself - Japanese TurboDuo will allow me to play any (and ALL) CDs from Japan/US. Cards only from Japan, but NOT SuperGrafx cards.

If I were to get a US Turbo Grafx, I could also play all the US cards. If I were to get the Arcade cards or system 3.0 cards, I could play them on the US Grafx without needing a converter.

One last question (assuming that I have this right so far):

Do you need anything extra to play a "Super CD" designated CD versus a regular CD? What is the distinction between CDs (if any).

Thanks again,
    Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko
    Tetsu,

Although I am dizzy right now, I appreciate the information!

So, for myself - Japanese TurboDuo will allow me to play any (and ALL) CDs from Japan/US. Cards only from Japan, but NOT SuperGrafx cards.

If I were to get a US Turbo Grafx, I could also play all the US cards. If I were to get the Arcade cards or system 3.0 cards, I could play them on the US Grafx without needing a converter.

Do you need anything extra to play a "Super CD" designated CD versus a regular CD? What is the distinction between CDs (if any).

Thanks again,
    Steve
    If you have a Duo, you dont need anything special to play Super CD games. But if you have a CD add on for the TG16/Coregrafx, I believe you'll need a system card.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok simple Reply

Buy a Jap Duo, Duo-R or Duo - RX Any of them are fine you can play

- Us CDs
    - Jap CDS
    - Jap Hu Cards

- Buy an Arcade Card aswell, it will allow you to play Arcade Cds and can be used on your Jap Machine

Buy Either of the following

Turbo Grafx

- Plays US Hu Cards games

OR ( More Expensive Option )

Converter

- Used to play US games on a JAP machine. ( * Note, if you want this to work you have to mod your Jap machine internally ).

Finally with the above you can play everything except Super Grafx games, the only way to play those is to buy a Super Grafx Machine.. and thats a whole different story

Hope that sorts you out.

My Personal Advice ( most compact but expensive solution )

US Turbo Duo + Jap Arcade Card + Converter

Plays Everything but super Grafx games on one machine
    Currently Looking For :
    Magical Chase TG16 Manual
    TG16 Order of the Griffon Complete Mint
    TG16 Chew Man Fu Complete Mint
    PAL Dreamcast Samba De Amigo - Box
    Dragon Warrior 2 - Mint Box, Dragon Warrior 1 - 4 Mint Maps, Dragon Quest Guide Books

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

heheh, I love reading whenever this topic gets started up
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are right on the money on everything else except this. Since the american Turbografx died a short, painful death, the arcade cards and system 3.0 cards were never released here. they are japanese only. you can't use them in an american turbografx, but you can in the japanese Duo. the american grafx is only for playing american games. and mr haboobi is right about needing to mod your japanese duo if you want to use a converter. its a very simple mod, just one wire one one chip, but it requires a special screwdriver and some decent de-soldering skills. that's why i recommend a separate system instead; less hassle and cheaper to boot.

Finally, "Super CD's" is just a marketing name given to CD games for the duo, to make them sound different and superior to plain old music cds. Just like nintendo calling their NES games "Game Paks" to separate themselves from the evil, post-atari crash name of "cartridges". Super CDs are playable on Turbo CD systems, SuperCDROM2s are playable on a turbo cd system with a 2.0 card or a duo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By George, I think I've got it!! (I emphasize think!!)

US TurboDuo modded to play Japanese HuCards, and I can play everything except SuperGrafx cards.

Right?!?!

Hopefully I'm right, and can begin my shopping!

Thanks everyone (except you - Silentwulf!! :P )
    Steve

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Err your close, if you want to mod your US turbo Duo to play Jap games thats cool, not a mod i want to tackle though so i bought a converter instead..

of course you really dont want to start collecting turbo, not until ive completed my collection of course :P
    Currently Looking For :
    Dragon Warrior 2 - Mint Box, Dragon Warrior 1 - 4 Mint Maps, Dragon Quest Guide Books

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

US Turbo Duo + Jap Arcade Card + Converter
    Yep this is what I use and it works great (although I need the Arcade Duo card still). The only thing I can't play are Supergrafx games, but who cares? From what I've seen they're not all that impressive anyway.

As for the converter, the original Kisado adapters are really hard to come by (but work perfectly). However it appears that Turbo Zone Direct has made another batch. http://www.tzd.com/information.cgi?id=422 At $99 they may seem pricey, but once you realize that 90% of the best software was released in Japan it becomes a worthwhile investment. As I recall they were always expensive for some reason (even when I got mine years ago).

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct

Incorrect. You cannot use Arcade Cards in a US system. The Arcade cards were ONLY released in Japan. Also, Super System 3 cards allow you to CD-ROM 2 and Super CD-Rom 2 games, if you have a CD attachement for your TG16, but serve no other function. The System cards (especially the high demand System 3 card) are really expensive too.

Ok....the Super CDs require the Super System 3 Bios provided by the Super System 3 card. If you have a TG16 with CD-Rom addon, you need a Super System 3 card to run Super CDs. If you have a Turbo Duo or a PC Engine Duo, it has the Super System 3 Bios built into it, and it will play Super CDs with no modification.

Your best bet is to buy either a US Turbo Duo and a Japanese PC Engine (taht way you can play all games except Supergrafx), or a PC Engine Duo and a Turbografx-16. A PC Engine Duo is the Japanese Turbo Duo. Personally, I'd choose the US Turbo Duo and Japanese PC Engine combo because the Japanese PC Engine is much smaller than it's US counterpart, unless space is not a premium for you. If you go this way, you avoid all the pain in the butt problems with Super System cards. The only upside to buying a Japanese PC Engine Duo and a US TG16 is that you will be able to use Arcade Cards (which you'll have to buy separately) on the few Arcade Card games out there..but they're are VERY few of them, so it's a questionable need. Hope that helps!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I posted this in the buy/sell, but just incase your interested and dont visit that section much

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3011630442

I also have a TG16 i could set you up with aswell

I still think the US duo and converter is the best option.
    Currently Looking For :

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I have an opportunity to buy a US TurboDuo that is modded to play Japanese cards (as well as US), then I would be all set, right?

Then I would only need the SuperGrafx...

Does any one know what the hell this is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4315

I can't find any info on this one.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

myabe this can be put in the import section.

anyways, here we go again. I got all this stuff from dd on here but didn't ask him how and whys.....and i have a chance at a ton of other pce-cdrom and that stuff so i ned to know what i have here and what i am doing.

I have:
    US tg-16 system
    CDrom unit add on for that system
    a converter for jap cards
    a jap system 3.0 card.

I inderstand that i need to stick the system 3.0 card in the converter to play the jap CD games, but if i'm just playing a us cdrom i don't need any card, just stick the cd in and turn it on?

understanding i have the above, what all can i play

US Tg-16 HU cards (yes!)
    Jap PCE HU card (yes!)
    .....but i don't know all the us and jap cdrom formats i can use, can someone list those out for me, of what i can play!

-Thanks
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

myabe this can be put in the import section.

anyways, here we go again. I got all this stuff from dd on here but didn't ask him how and whys.....and i have a chance at a ton of other pce-cdrom and that stuff so i ned to know what i have here and what i am doing.

I have:
    US tg-16 system
    CDrom unit add on for that system
    a converter for jap cards
    a jap system 3.0 card.

I inderstand that i need to stick the system 3.0 card in the converter to play the jap CD games, but if i'm just playing a us cdrom i don't need any card, just stick the cd in and turn it on?

understanding i have the above, what all can i play

US Tg-16 HU cards (yes!)
    Jap PCE HU card (yes!)
    .....but i don't know all the us and jap cdrom formats i can use, can someone list those out for me, of what i can play!

-Thanks
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: NEC systems - can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Completely confused by something here, and I have done some research, but I am hoping that someone can make sure that I have this right.

(Please note, I know this isn't in chronological order, I am just listing them)...

US original release was the Turbo Graffix 16, which plays only US cards. "WRONG" technically with a converter it plays imports.

Japan original release was the PC Engine or the PC Engine "Core" system (not sure???), which plays only Japanese HuCards. = "PCENGINE "

"It was the first home add on cdrom system for a game console.In japan and and america......"
    Retailed at $300 on launch date.

Japan releases the CD Rom 2, which can interface with the PC Engine, allowing the play of Japanese CDs.

US releases Turbo Duo, which is a combined unit, allowing play of US cards and CDs. "Yep... Who remembers the SCSI Card that was supposed to be released in america? "

Japan releases the Turbo Duo, a combined unit which allows play of Japanese cards and CDs. "WRONG" the PCENGINE TURBODUO was released BEFORE the american unit.........

"AND CDROMS....... You can hook up a pcengine cdrom or System2Cdrom."

"Yeah , they made a few different models too.. they hooked up
    to the Core, CoreII , pcengine, supergrafx and sometimes the shuttle"

"SCD's CDRom, GamesExpress, Arcade card cd"

"Yeah you can........ you need a converter. but yeah you can play imports.
    KASADO converter or the new one selling at TZD"

Again, please help. It would be cool to get some input, rather than the standard...it's somewhere in a previous forum or something like that.

Thanks for any help.
    Steve
    I use the white pcengine side by side with cdrom sys.
    i modded the thing so it plays everything but supergrafx carts.
    thats my main turbosystem.

hope what i added to your post helped..

steve.
    Lead, Follow , or get the F*** out of my way !

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: NEC systems - can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

US original release was the Turbo Graffix 16, which plays only US cards. "WRONG" technically with a converter it plays imports.

Japan original release was the PC Engine or the PC Engine "Core" system (not sure???), which plays only Japanese HuCards. = "PCENGINE "

"It was the first home add on cdrom system for a game console.In japan and and america......"
    Retailed at $300 on launch date.

US releases Turbo Duo, which is a combined unit, allowing play of US cards and CDs. "Yep... Who remembers the SCSI Card that was supposed to be released in america? "

Japan releases the Turbo Duo, a combined unit which allows play of Japanese cards and CDs. "WRONG" the PCENGINE TURBODUO was released BEFORE the american unit.........

"AND CDROMS....... You can hook up a pcengine cdrom or System2Cdrom."

"Yeah , they made a few different models too.. they hooked up
    to the Core, CoreII , pcengine, supergrafx and sometimes the shuttle"

"SCD's CDRom, GamesExpress, Arcade card cd"

"Yeah you can........ you need a converter. but yeah you can play imports.
    KASADO converter or the new one selling at TZD"

Thanks for any help.
    Steve
    I use the white pcengine side by side with cdrom sys.
    i modded the thing so it plays everything but supergrafx carts.
    thats my main turbosystem.

hope what i added to your post helped..

steve.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Correct

Incorrect. You cannot use Arcade Cards in a US system. The Arcade cards were ONLY released in Japan. Also, Super System 3 cards allow you to CD-ROM 2 and Super CD-Rom 2 games, if you have a CD attachement for your TG16, but serve no other function. The System cards (especially the high demand System 3 card) are really expensive too.

Ok....the Super CDs require the Super System 3 Bios provided by the Super System 3 card. If you have a TG16 with CD-Rom addon, you need a Super System 3 card to run Super CDs. If you have a Turbo Duo or a PC Engine Duo, it has the Super System 3 Bios built into it, and it will play Super CDs with no modification.

Your best bet is to buy either a US Turbo Duo and a Japanese PC Engine (taht way you can play all games except Supergrafx), or a PC Engine Duo and a Turbografx-16. A PC Engine Duo is the Japanese Turbo Duo. Personally, I'd choose the US Turbo Duo and Japanese PC Engine combo because the Japanese PC Engine is much smaller than it's US counterpart, unless space is not a premium for you. If you go this way, you avoid all the pain in the butt problems with Super System cards. The only upside to buying a Japanese PC Engine Duo and a US TG16 is that you will be able to use Arcade Cards (which you'll have to buy separately) on the few Arcade Card games out there..but they're are VERY few of them, so it's a questionable need. Hope that helps!
    I either gave you your first arcade card or system 3.0 hahah.
    Max has a shitload of games....... turbo scd's that is.
    Wait til he gets that new cordless duo controller i sent him in the mail
    he is gonna pee himself.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Correct

I either gave you your first arcade card or system 3.0 hahah.
    Max has a shitload of games....... turbo scd's that is.
    Wait til he gets that new cordless duo controller i sent him in the mail
    he is gonna pee himself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edited