Thread: Best Buy Mtaching Policy

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Buy Mtaching Policy

Trying to see from any employees or former employees from Best Buy on the definitive policy regarding price matching. Got 2 different answers from a manager and a employee at different stores and now all confused. Tried price matching the CC sale with BB and was told they only price match items that are on the competitors circular. Plus rudely said that Circuit city would not price drop a DDR2 bumdle to that price and that it was an error. Told him to call but didn't want to be bothered. I even offered to call with my cell and he said it was all a hoax. (This coming from a manager). He went back to watching the shows on TV. I guess he was busy Other employee stated they don't price match on videogames. Only on the bigger tickets items like electronics. It all sounds like a bunch of BS. Anyone know the real scoop, trying to decipher the bs their handing me

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The price matching policies are generally written so that you can't take advantage of it. Generally though, you do need a circular or some kind of paper listing of the item from the company in question that shows what its price is. Also most places will not price match against a clearance sale or temporary markdown.

Above all that, if you don't have it on paper they're supposed to call the store themselves as verification, also the store you want them to match against has to actually have the item in stock to sell.

Given the fact that this chain of events relies on retail employees there's no point in even bothering.

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I have some sort of unwritten loyalty to Circuit City because they actually are friendly and helpful where I live. I cannot stand Best Buy for anything that they sell including and not limited to video games, computers and music Cd's. It would make sense that Best Buy would actually dodge price matching because that would help them be come more hated and that seems to be there ultimate goal. If you happen to have access to a military post they will do price matching no matter how ridiculously low it is. I remember when Sled Storm came out way back in the day I bought it for 4.99 because they price compared it to some other place and on top of that there was no tax. It was pretty freaking sweet.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah they try not to let it slip in quarterly reports/etc. anymore but Best Buy basically does not want your business if you're there to buy DVDs/games/cds/computer software. If you're not buying and HDTV then get out. The rest of the stuff is there for formality's sake so that entertainment companies are happy, same reason Gamestop/EBGames bothers to carry new product.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well your first mistake was going to Best Buy.

Your second was talking to a manager. Unlike the hourly employee's, i believe managers actually get bonuses when the store does good and "meets numbers". While your price match really has no effect on the "numbers" in question (service plans sold, accessories sold) they will still try and talk you out of it simply because the company views price matchers as "devil customers".

Look up "Best Buy" and "Devil Customers" on google to get some more specific info on that lame shit.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I had a rather large tiff with a Best Buy manager a few years ago when they refused to price match a $75 difference between what i paid for my MP3 player the previous week and what Fry's was selling it for then (and it was in stock). They just refused to pay. I got very mad and was asked to leave the store.

Second time they did it, too -- did it on a computer that had dropped $200 several years previous to that. No real reason given.

Obviously, despite what they say about price guarantees they don't mean it. And what recourse do you as a consumer have? Who's going to sue over $75?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's all bullshit. At least at Best Buy anyways. They have huge banners hanging up in the store and blurbs in their flyers proudly advertising their illustrious price matching guarantee, but when it comes to actually price matching an item, the managers always say "I'm too busy to do it now". Same thing happened to dozens of others on CAG too, so it's not like it's an isolated incident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Rasa
    Yeah they try not to let it slip in quarterly reports/etc. anymore but Best Buy basically does not want your business if you're there to buy DVDs/games/cds/computer software. If you're not buying and HDTV then get out. The rest of the stuff is there for formality's sake so that entertainment companies are happy, same reason Gamestop/EBGames bothers to carry new product.
    They keep the music/movies/software in there so you will come in and look at that stuff and perhaps end up buying something that has more of a mark up (which is just about anything aside from computers and music/movies/software).

And i know this because thats what a manager told me when i worked for the rotten company many, many moons ago.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    Well your first mistake was going to Best Buy.

Your second was talking to a manager. Unlike the hourly employee's, i believe managers actually get bonuses when the store does good and "meets numbers". While your price match really has no effect on the "numbers" in question (service plans sold, accessories sold) they will still try and talk you out of it simply because the company views price matchers as "devil customers".

Look up "Best Buy" and "Devil Customers" on google to get some more specific info on that lame shit.
    I read those articles about best buy. DAMM!!! Anyway to take away your privacy and screw you more. There will always be some cheats and dishonest people. But to go as so far as to blacklist you because you return something defective or buy loss leader products. Do they think everyone can afford a new HDTV every year and upgrade their surround system to??? As for video games, what fool can afford to buy tons of new games when they first come out, especially when they'll hit the $60 mark. I love sports games but no way I'm plunking $60 for a new one that has marginal improvement over the last one. Am I gonna be blacklisted because I'm willing to buy it when it gets down to $30 or $40? That's some freaky stuff their implementing. As for the rudeness, I guess I'm not the only one experiencing their negative attitude towards consumers. Guess I don't have a sign around neck saying sucker to rip me off. Enough ranting I do like the store for certain things but their service has gone to hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Playing Devil's Advocate here, why is it that all the Cheap Ass Gamers of the world demand that they get things for the cheapest possible price all the time? When I dealt with them when I worked at Circuit City, they were some of the lamest, rudest pieces of shit that ever set foot in the store (save for one guy who was always friendly and should be the archetype for CAG's), always pestering me to ring them up for promo items that rang up a penny, despite the fact they knew damn well that wasn't how it was supposed to work.

I understand legitimate price-matching policies. It ensures the that customer doesn't return an item after the fact and to some negligible degree, the store is actually caring about the customer for a brief moment. What most CAG's try to do is get a price-match when there was an error in the flyer or something has been clearance-priced and is out of stock at the original store. From what I've seen, the CAG crowd are a bunch of crybaby pussies who can't fathom the idea of actually paying retail for anything. Don't get me wrong, I love a deal, but at some point you have to grow up and realize that all the world doesn't bow to your demands...especially when you're offering pocket-change for something that typically costs $50.

I still check CAG every now and again for deals, but I've never once went on some price-matching hellride where I demanded to be treated as if I were blowing 3 grand in the store when I'm only ponying up $15 for 3 games. I will agree on one thing: the price-match policy is worded rather obtusely. I just got $50 back on the television I purchased from Best Buy a couple weeks ago because it was cheaper the week after I bought it. No one gave me any trouble, probably because they still made money on the deal and not vice versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is that its not just CAG type people getting treated like that but even regular people who are doing a simple price match.

And the thing is, this "attitude" towards customers isn't limited to price matches.

The problem mostly stems from the fact that the company is so focused on sales and meeting numbers that it makes the place intollerable to work at (at least the one near me).

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Playing Devil's Advocate here, why is it that all the Cheap Ass Gamers of the world demand that they get things for the cheapest possible price all the time? When I dealt with them when I worked at Circuit City, they were some of the lamest, rudest pieces of shit that ever set foot in the store (save for one guy who was always friendly and should be the archetype for CAG's), always pestering me to ring them up for promo items that rang up a penny, despite the fact they knew damn well that wasn't how it was supposed to work.

I understand legitimate price-matching policies. It ensures the that customer doesn't return an item after the fact and to some negligible degree, the store is actually caring about the customer for a brief moment. What most CAG's try to do is get a price-match when there was an error in the flyer or something has been clearance-priced and is out of stock at the original store. From what I've seen, the CAG crowd are a bunch of crybaby pussies who can't fathom the idea of actually paying retail for anything. Don't get me wrong, I love a deal, but at some point you have to grow up and realize that all the world doesn't bow to your demands...especially when you're offering pocket-change for something that typically costs $50.

I still check CAG every now and again for deals, but I've never once went on some price-matching hellride where I demanded to be treated as if I were blowing 3 grand in the store when I'm only ponying up $15 for 3 games. I will agree on one thing: the price-match policy is worded rather obtusely. I just got $50 back on the television I purchased from Best Buy a couple weeks ago because it was cheaper the week after I bought it. No one gave me any trouble, probably because they still made money on the deal and not vice versa.
    Excellent, excellent, excellent. One of the best posts I've read on here in a long time.

The problem is that its not just CAG type people getting treated like that but even regular people who are doing a simple price match.
    I've never had a problem getting a price match, ever. And they're the 'if we offer it cheaper with xx days' kind of deals. My guess is that people are running into asshole employees, which happens with EVERY company or business. Which isn't an excuse, but it's not like the whole chain is that way, and it's not fair to write the whole place off based on that.

If you're legitimately trying to pull the wool over their eyes, then you deserve to be turned away.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem mostly stems from the fact that the company is so focused on sales and meeting numbers that it makes the place intollerable to work at (at least the one near me).
    Everything you posted is one hundred percent true for Best Buy specifically, but the poster above you is correct. I have very rarely encountered a Cheap Ass Gamer whom I didn't not want to stab in the eye multiple times due to their attitude and their notion that because they use the internet they're the second coming of Christ. For people that buy games regularly to flip on Ebay you'd think they'd treat the people they're purchasing the games from like something other than feces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    I agree with you there. There are some real dicks that take advantage of the whole price-match thing way too much (especially at CAG). My point is that Best Buy shouldn't prominently advertise their price match guarantee in store and in their Sunday ads if they are going to tell their customers "we're too busy to do it for you" without even looking at the item in question. Really, what kind of excuse is that?

I personally have never price-matched anything at a store before (I really don't see the point...I just go to the store where it's cheapest and buy it there). It just pisses me off some stores will treat customers like that when they are trying to use a service that the store openly offers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    I've never had a problem getting a price match, ever. And they're the 'if we offer it cheaper with xx days' kind of deals. My guess is that people are running into asshole employees, which happens with EVERY company or business. Which isn't an excuse, but it's not like the whole chain is that way, and it's not fair to write the whole place off based on that.
    The last time i went in there to price match i had zero problems and i've never been hounded by anyone to buy anything.

But i still see this "attitude" a problem because i believe the company and its pressing thier employee's to meet numbers and sales only tends to create more asshole employees than not.

Yes there are shitty customers (thats another topic there) and there are good employees, but my experience with the company is that they didnt want nice & knowledgeable sales people, they wanted people to meet numbers.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that some people, especially CAG's, abuse company policies. They should implement a limit so that they don't sell out in 5 minutes. I haven't worked in retail in a while but I sympathize with those who also have to deal with rude customers. From my experience, never really did a price match before. I'm used to just checking prices online and going to the store that has the tv/radio or any other item I want for that price. That's why I started this thread. Never had to price match with anything before and the experience left a bitter taste in my mouth. Probabaly every company does the same of advertising that they price match but make it hard to.